If President Frenk Doesn't Care about Sports/Football

Why is he UM President? What does he think put UM on the map/developed the brand? FOOTBALL! UM has now dropped out of the Top 50 rated academic colleges & universities so is anyone on the board holding him accountable? As a long time season ticket holder/Hurricane Club member I don't understand any of this or why anyone would accept such mediocrity and being embarrassed on national TV.

Totally disgusted by what I'm reading in Barry Jacksons column today. Why would players want to come here? He and Blake James should both resign.
Everyone hated Donna Shalala and she was great for UM and loved sports. Now you have a President feels the opposite way and you hate them. What actually makes the fan base happy? A National Championship and a crap school? A great school and a crap team? It's apparent that you can't have everything in 2021.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

Thank you for posting your Yale yearbook photo.

Everyone hated Donna Shalala and she was great for UM and loved sports. Now you have a President feels the opposite way and you hate them. What actually makes the fan base happy? A National Championship and a crap school? A great school and a crap team? It's apparent that you can't have everything in 2021.

If Shalala was a male Republican, people would be calling her the greatest UM President ever.

(cue all the gender jokes)

he leaves it up to the AD which is the problem. I don't mind having a president not meddle in sports when it isn't their speciality but I have an issue with him keeping Blake in charge. also, hes not very good at maintaining the US news rankings that shalala helped improve
Part of the rankings issue is some of the categories they rank. It’s not just about academics. It includes alumni giving etc. they have overhauled the criteria used in the past 5 years.

My daughter was a freshman in 2012. Miami was ranked 36.

Part of the rankings issue is some of the categories they rank. It’s not just about academics. It includes alumni giving etc. they have overhauled the criteria used in the past 5 years.

That's a tough criterion. One side of the argument would say it should be indexed per capita, so that smaller schools could be comparable to larger schools. On the other hand, mo money means mo buildings, and huge schools should get credit for huge buildings.

But, still, the rich (universities) just keep getting richer...

Advertisement
He’s probably not a big sports guy but I refuse to believe he “doesn’t care” about a department at his university that generates 100 mil in annual revenue.

He’s probably not a big sports guy but I refuse to believe he “doesn’t care” about a department at his university that generates 100 mil in annual revenue.

He doesn't care.

Besides, if he cut our Athletic Department, he'd probably save close to $100M in expenses too.

"Profit" is always more relevant than "Gross Revenue".

He doesn't care.

Last edited:

this place actually liked that he didn't care bc they thought he wouldn't meddle like DS did (well he isn't gonna meddle but now its a negative lol). fact is, the only worry a president should have is finding the right AD. beyond that, it doesn't matter. the issues w coaching aren't solely a frenk issue. it isn't the first time we struck out on a coach regardless of who is the president and who is the AD. the entire program has to change the way its been doing things (that includes the people who have been here the last 20 years)

this place actually liked that he didn't care bc they thought he wouldn't meddle like DS did (well he isn't gonna meddle but now its a negative lol). fact is, the only worry a president should have is finding the right AD. beyond that, it doesn't matter. the issues w coaching aren't solely a frenk issue. it isn't the first time we struck out on a coach regardless of who is the president and who is the AD. the entire program has to change the way its been doing things (that includes the people who have been here the last 20 years)

Nobody ever really cited specific examples of Donna "meddling". Yes, she hired some bad ADs and at least "signed off" on the hiring of a couple of bad football coaches. Now, Jerry Jones "meddles", but I've never really heard what Donna did that constituted "meddling".

Advertisement
Well you have a crap school and crap academics now, so I am fairly confident that should not appease anyone.

Tough criteria, valid criteria, marketing gimmick, or whatever else, it is looked at as a driver of applications and to a degree hiring. Schools love to post when they moved up X number of spots or are in the top whatever in this area. The schools and their alumni seem to only have a problem with it when their rankings are dropping.

Well you have a crap school and crap academics now, so I am fairly confident that should not appease anyone.

Tough criteria, valid criteria, marketing gimmick, or whatever else, it is looked at as a driver of applications and to a degree hiring. Schools love to post when they moved up X number of spots or are in the top whatever in this area. The schools and their alumni seem to only have a problem with it when their rankings are dropping.
Those comments from a guy that couldn't even get into JC.

A couple of thoughts: Someone mentioned that Foote detested the football program, this is true. Miami became a football power despite this by having a great AD who knew how to hire a great coach. The current President may not care about sports, but he won’t want the distraction of the national media ripping the program either. Academically oriented college presidents hate the issues football brings, but they understand the need to keep the program good enough that they don’t have to issue press releases defending the university’s commitment to athletics.
The sad part for me is the failure to understand how a great football program at the U impacts Miami overall. The city is different when the Canes are really good. The U, and Miami are better when we are nationally relevant in football.

Advertisement

Spot on. I said this several years ago when US News and World Report changed the metrics to Miami's dusadvantage. The university is spending a lot of money on the sciences to improve tge departments. I've dropped a check because my son is finishing up his aero degree.

Why is he UM President? What does he think put UM on the map/developed the brand? FOOTBALL! UM has now dropped out of the Top 50 rated academic colleges & universities so is anyone on the board holding him accountable? As a long time season ticket holder/Hurricane Club member I don't understand any of this or why anyone would accept such mediocrity and being embarrassed on national TV.

Totally disgusted by what I'm reading in Barry Jacksons column today. Why would players want to come here? He and Blake James should both resign.

I'll play; He's a hatchet man hired to do just what he's doing: bring an end to the memory of "Thug U" and Miami football after ESPN's 30 for 30 on 'The U,' showed Head Coaches embarrassing his former egg-headed, high brow colleagues and the Academic status of the university.

He cares about U Med! U med is reaping the rewards of our past football teams. Maybe we’re going about this all wrong. Why don’t we protest going to U of Miami medical facilities until they make a change. Find out how many malpractice lawsuits they’ve had and how many of the doctors they’ve graduated have had malpractice lawsuits, how many deaths they have had at their facilities, and under the care of graduate medical personnel. Fly those numbers on banners over their facilities, and put them up on billboards. I know one ortho U med grad who literally fakes repairs because he can’t operate. He hyperventilates in the halls before surgeries and has his assistants perform rotator cuff surgeries etc. that he gets credit for. Other docs assist and cover it up, as do PAs. There must be more of them out there.

Advertisement
The fan base was so traumatized by the negative influence Shalala had on the program that they were elated to hear Frenk didn’t give a ****. But you need everyone on board. It has to be taken seriously at the top and I have no idea why it wouldn’t be for all the obvious reasons

Advertisement
Back