If President Frenk Doesn't Care about Sports/Football

the storm

Banned Under CIS Martial Law until 11/5/20
Why is he UM President? What does he think put UM on the map/developed the brand? FOOTBALL! UM has now dropped out of the Top 50 rated academic colleges & universities so is anyone on the board holding him accountable? As a long time season ticket holder/Hurricane Club member I don't understand any of this or why anyone would accept such mediocrity and being embarrassed on national TV.

Totally disgusted by what I'm reading in Barry Jacksons column today. Why would players want to come here? He and Blake James should both resign.

Advertisement
I don't know what Frenk really thinks, but it's a bad look and irresponsible for a journalist to put out one person's opinion like that. It could very well be what he thinks or maybe it isn't. That can be a very damaging thing in recruiting that others can use as ammo against us.

Because there are a lot of people who don't value athletics. They rightly believe academics are the primary reason for a university to exist and see the athletic department as just another department, but at a lower level than academics. They don't fully understand that it can also help improve their school.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
if we want Frenk involved in athletics, let's just make Anthony Varona AD/head football coach

Why is he UM President? What does he think put UM on the map/developed the brand? FOOTBALL! UM has now dropped out of the Top 50 rated academic colleges & universities so is anyone on the board holding him accountable? As a long time season ticket holder/Hurricane Club member I don't understand any of this or why anyone would accept such mediocrity and being embarrassed on national TV.

Totally disgusted by what I'm reading in Barry Jacksons column today. Why would players want to come here? He and Blake James should both resign.

He took the job for academic reasons. There are plenty of academic reasons to fire him.

Advertisement
Wasn't there talk a while back about him leaving/retiring? Is there any truth to that or is it the typical chatter on here about people we'd hire to coach or whatever?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't know what Frenk really thinks, but it's a bad look and irresponsible for a journalist to put out one person's opinion like that. It could very well be what he thinks or maybe it isn't. That can be a very damaging thing in recruiting that others can use as ammo against us.
How Barry hasn't been banned from the university at this point is beyond me. Guy has made a living trashing UM the past 15 or so years

I completely understand if as a President of a university, you want to focus solely on education. It comes at the expense of the football program (even as you said, the reason UM is what it is today is from the success of football), and again, understandable if that's what you want. But, when your approach is to push sports aside, focus on growing UM more in education, you can't fall out of the top 50. For as much as we disliked Shalala, she at least cared (somewhat), and had the university in much better shape from that standpoint. By all accounts, Frenk is completely inept at his job.

i think this thread brings up an interesting point/perspective, maybe the fanbase and media has to put heat on Frenk somehow,

a banner calling him out may be in play

The fact that UM hasn’t responded is actually evidence of bad management, in my eyes. At Yale, they taught us the importance of responding to negative press/social media quickly and deliberately. They suggested every company should have a “quick response” mechanism built in to their structure, where you trust some underling or group of underlings to speak for everyone so that you can be quick and forceful in responding to press that might cause reputation damage 24/7.

The fact that they never respond to this kind of stuff, or take forever to respond, tells me they have rigid management where everything has to get run up the pole before some kind of “officer” responds, which just doesn’t work in 2021. UM is not controlling the narrative at all, and that’s their own fault

Advertisement
Back