If President Frenk Doesn't Care about Sports/Football

Advertisement
Right. Someone should show Frenk the before and after pictures of the bama campus before Saban and after. They're literally building taj mahals each season.
I recall an interview where Bama's AD was asked about Saban's ludicrously high salary, and he responded by saying Saban is the best investment the University has ever made.

You gotta give it to BJ. He managed to unite CIS. errrbody riled up with yesterday article. lol

Advertisement
The fact that UM hasn’t responded is actually evidence of bad management, in my eyes. At Yale, they taught us the importance of responding to negative press/social media quickly and deliberately. They suggested every company should have a “quick response” mechanism built in to their structure, where you trust some underling or group of underlings to speak for everyone so that you can be quick and forceful in responding to press that might cause reputation damage 24/7.

The fact that they never respond to this kind of stuff, or take forever to respond, tells me they have rigid management where everything has to get run up the pole before some kind of “officer” responds, which just doesn’t work in 2021. UM is not controlling the narrative at all, and that’s their own fault
Nice humble brag, nerd.

I don't know what Frenk really thinks, but it's a bad look and irresponsible for a journalist to put out one person's opinion like that. It could very well be what he thinks or maybe it isn't. That can be a very damaging thing in recruiting that others can use as ammo against us.
Man **** that. I commend him for what he is doing. The rest of South Florida media deals with UM with kiddy gloves on. It's time to start calling these people out and stop letting them tell lies to the fanbase. If UM isn't going to commit to winning, let us move on and find another team to root for. Let the four and five stars that we do have move on to a school that will develop them for the next level. Stop wasting people's time!!!! Barry is the only one calling them out on their BS.

President Frenk and the majority of the BOT's fail to realize Athletics (especially Football) is the most impactful marketing tool a university can have. The University of Miami was known as Sun Tan U prior to the 80's and was completely irrelevant nationally and locally. In the 80's and 90's, the Football and Baseball programs, made the University what it is today, not the academics. Frenk is here because of the Football program. The Football program created the iconic brand and elevated the school to higher levels it ever dreamed of doing prior to the 80's.

I am not saying that academics isn't important, of course it is; however, a successful athletic brand takes an entire school to another level because students want to be part of that rich brand.

Advertisement
I recall an interview where Bama's AD was asked about Saban's ludicrously high salary, and he responded by saying Saban is the best investment the University has ever made.
It was on 60 Minutes and that was back in 2013 before they really took off... awful, terrible, unspeakable free marketing for the school. Flash forward a couple of years, and a kid who got into every Ivy (and Stanford, NYU, Vandy, Wash U, etc.) chose Bama.

The fact that UM hasn’t responded is actually evidence of bad management, in my eyes. At Yale, they taught us the importance of responding to negative press/social media quickly and deliberately. They suggested every company should have a “quick response” mechanism built in to their structure, where you trust some underling or group of underlings to speak for everyone so that you can be quick and forceful in responding to press that might cause reputation damage 24/7.

The fact that they never respond to this kind of stuff, or take forever to respond, tells me they have rigid management where everything has to get run up the pole before some kind of “officer” responds, which just doesn’t work in 2021. UM is not controlling the narrative at all, and that’s their own fault

That's one school of thought. The other is to say nothing as it gives credence to the rumor, statement, or situation.

I hear you, but there's two schools of thought here.

I don't know what Frenk really thinks, but it's a bad look and irresponsible for a journalist to put out one person's opinion like that. It could very well be what he thinks or maybe it isn't. That can be a very damaging thing in recruiting that others can use as ammo against us.
I’ll tell you whats damaging to recruiting & used as ammo against us. Getting our ******* asses throttled by an average michigan state team at home.

The UM Pres who presided over our greatest football glory (Tad Foote) detested the football program. He made life **** for Sam J, Jimmy J, and others.

Advertisement
Man **** that. I commend him for what he is doing. The rest of South Florida media deals with UM with kiddy gloves on. It's time to start calling these people out and stop letting them tell lies to the fanbase. If UM isn't going to commit to winning, let us move on and find another team to root for. Let the four and five stars that we do have move on to a school that will develop them for the next level. Stop wasting people's time!!!! Barry is the only one calling them out on their BS.

I don't really have an issue with your post.

Having said that, the media does generally play softball here. Press conferences a lot of times have a briefing beforehand on what's allowed to be asked and what won't be addressed. I have no clue if we do this or not, but if you're covering this team with regularity, you know what's off limits.

Commitment to winning, now that's a strange statement to me. You're as commited as money allows. We aren't some deep pocket school with a lot of alums who donate regularly. We're a small school in the grand scheme of things and the war chest has whatever is in it. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

So that leads me to you and your proposed rooting for another team. We have traditionally been an average at best football program. We had a very unexpected rise to the top and there's a lot of factors in that. The traditional powers just kept doing what worked and we did something innovative and new. We changed the game and they've now caught up. They were always spending more, but now that gap has grown immensely. So if we can't catch up in that department or hire a coach who can do more with less, this is who we'll be. We **** sure aren't going to out spend anyone.

Being a fan is a choice. You and me aren't owed anything. If you're a deep pocketed booster, maybe you have a gripe. I always say the kids deserve better, they do, but recruiting is hopes and dreams. Everyone wants to win, but realistically with our place in college footballs landscape, are we really supposed to? No, I don't think so. I'm just stuck hoping for better, but fully realizing we'll never be a national power like we once were. Some good years and a good run, that's about the best I hope for anymore.

I’ll tell you whats damaging to recruiting & used as ammo against us. Getting our ******* asses throttled by an average michigan state team at home.

We'll see how average they are at the end of the season. I think they'll do well in the Big.

Nah, it's not even close what's more damaging. You can sell we need you to recruits so that doesn't happen against MSU. You can't sell the idea that we care if the president of the university doesn't give a ****, essentially saying getting beaten like a drum is okay.

Advertisement
Why is he UM President? What does he think put UM on the map/developed the brand? FOOTBALL! UM has now dropped out of the Top 50 rated academic colleges & universities so is anyone on the board holding him accountable? As a long time season ticket holder/Hurricane Club member I don't understand any of this or why anyone would accept such mediocrity and being embarrassed on national TV.

Totally disgusted by what I'm reading in Barry Jacksons column today. Why would players want to come here? He and Blake James should both resign.

Donna Shalala was hired in 2001 and spent the next 15 years not caring about football—happy with mailbox money from the ACC and Nike / adidas—as well as 7-6 seasons and a bowl game, as long as the team didn't get in trouble.

The culture at Miami changed and this hasn't been a football school since the early 1990's. We're really surprised that an academic was hired as president—one who will focus on the law school, like Shalala did the medical school—as UM continues shedding that old "Sun Tan U" image and wants to be taken serious as a liberal place of academia in the new world?

11,000 undergrads in a large, diverse, metropolitan city—off-campus stadium and most fans aren't even alumni, hence the lack of checks they write.

Need about 100,000 more disgusted fans like you for this university to give a **** about any of this.

President Frenk and the majority of the BOT's fail to realize Athletics (especially Football) is the most impactful marketing tool a university can have. The University of Miami was known as Sun Tan U prior to the 80's and was completely irrelevant nationally and locally. In the 80's and 90's, the Football and Baseball programs, made the University what it is today, not the academics. Frenk is here because of the Football program. The Football program created the iconic brand and elevated the school to higher levels it ever dreamed of doing prior to the 80's.

I am not saying that academics isn't important, of course it is; however, a successful athletic brand takes an entire school to another level because students want to be part of that rich brand.
I see this repeated often--that investing in sports leads to better students, which raises the profile of the university, leading to higher rankings in things like US News and World Reports.

I wonder if there's a point of diminishing returns. That is, success in football helped put UM on the map, but once we're on the map, is football really important to keep us there?

UM is never going to be an elite school in the realm of Harvard, etc.

At our best (under Shalala), we were ranked around 40 or so in US News and World Report, and we've dropped some since then due to troubles with the law and med schools, among others. Fixing those problems would go a long way to getting us back in the upper 45 or so, but there's not much room to go up from there. And investing in sports isn't going to make a difference, IMO.

Miami is a small private high academic school and can't be compared to massive state schools structurally. Frenk has multiple priorities and from the article has delegated Athletics to the AD. That's not uncommon but our problem is that our AD sucks which Frenk might not be as educated on as we would like him to be. Miami is also known to have our BoT be the primary movers and shakers with Athletic personnel decisions which takes the President out of the equation even more. The outrage towards Frenk is a bit over the top as Football is a piece of the equation to entire university for which he is responsible. Direct that venom at those on BoT who actually have say over the AD and HC.

I see this repeated often--that investing in sports leads to better students, which raises the profile of the university, leading to higher rankings in things like US News and World Reports.

I wonder if there's a point of diminishing returns. That is, success in football helped put UM on the map, but once we're on the map, is football really important to keep us there?

UM is never going to be an elite school in the realm of Harvard, etc.

At our best (under Shalala), we were ranked around 40 or so in US News and World Report, and we've dropped some since then due to troubles with the law and med schools, among others. Fixing those problems would go a long way to getting us back in the upper 45 or so, but there's not much room to go up from there. And investing in sports isn't going to make a difference, IMO.
You bring valid points and I agree that athletics will not get us back to the upper 40's in rankings but it is a lot easier to reach those levels with a strong athletic program than it is without it. I hate Florida with a passion but they understand the importance of having strong academics while prioritizing athletics. It really is common sense. Prioritizing in athletics is prioritizing in your brand. There is no bigger marketing tool than athletics. The University of Miami is doing themselves no service by not prioritizing athletics.

Advertisement
Back