If President Frenk Doesn't Care about Sports/Football

You bring valid points and I agree that athletics will not get us back to the upper 40's in rankings but it is a lot easier to reach those levels with a strong athletic program than it is without it. I hate Florida with a passion but they understand the importance of having strong academics while prioritizing athletics. It really is common sense. Prioritizing in athletics is prioritizing in your brand. There is no bigger marketing tool than athletics. The University of Miami is doing themselves no service by not prioritizing athletics.
Right. But UF is a totally different animal.

As a large state school, they have tons and tons of resources and a huge alumni base that UM simply doesn't.

It's a lot easier to invest in sports when you have a huge pool of donors who pay the salary of your football and basketball coaches and keep your entire athletic department afloat (See UF's Athletics Association).

Advertisement
Right. But UF is a totally different animal.

As a large state school, they have tons and tons of resources and a huge alumni base that UM simply doesn't.

It's a lot easier to invest in sports when you have a huge pool of donors who pay the salary of your football and basketball coaches and keep your entire athletic department afloat (See UF's Athletics Association).
I agree. I don't expect us to have the same resources as Florida; however, i do expect the same commitment. Blake James should have never been allowed to hire Diaz in 5 hours. That tells me we are not prioritizing the Football program because we didn't even do our due diligence. Pure incompetence.

I agree. I don't expect us to have the same resources as Florida; however, i do expect the same commitment.
But that's my point. UF is able to make that commitment, in large part, because the have a donor base with deep pockets who basically pay for everything to do with athletics. Expecting UM to make a similar commitment doesn't make much sense to me.

But that's my point. UF is able to make that commitment, in large part, because the have a donor base with deep pockets who basically pay for everything to do with athletics. Expecting UM to make a similar commitment doesn't make much sense to me.
I edited my previous post which an additional point.

The ideal situation is a president that is fully behind the sports teams. But, conversely, a hands-off president might also be beneficial if you had an AD who had the ability, personality and freedom to steward the sports programs. It seems that Blake has the freedom but not the ability or personality.

Advertisement
Miami is a small private high academic school and can't be compared to massive state schools structurally. Frenk has multiple priorities and from the article has delegated Athletics to the AD. That's not uncommon but our problem is that our AD sucks which Frenk might not be as educated on as we would like him to be. Miami is also known to have our BoT be the primary movers and shakers with Athletic personnel decisions which takes the President out of the equation even more. The outrage towards Frenk is a bit over the top as Football is a piece of the equation to entire university for which he is responsible. Direct that venom at those on BoT who actually have say over the AD and HC.

This!

I edited my previous post which an additional point.
Oh, I agree that we should have had a better (well, any) search and vetting process, and I agree that Blake James is a crappy AD. And I think it's likely that both Blake and Diaz will be fired by season's end.

That said, we have had national searches in the past and have made a succession of poor hires. I think each had their merits and looked good on paper (e.g., Shannon had a stellar record as a DC and had won championships and various coaching awards at UM). And I think that our limited budget and limited resources has played a big role in the level of talent that we're able to attract.

Ultimately who makes the call to get rid of Bake sale Blake if Frenk is too busy smelling his own farts to care about the Hindenburg that is our AD?

I personally don’t give a **** what he thinks about Miami Hurricanes football. But it is rather alarming that the president of an institution doesn’t “care” about such a large stream of revenue. You don’t like sports, hey that’s on your parents. But you still have to be a business man.

Advertisement
on top of that, UF is actually behind the other SEC schools in resources invested. it was one of the criticisms prior coaches have had.

I personally don’t give a **** what he thinks about Miami Hurricanes football. But it is rather alarming that the president of an institution doesn’t “care” about such a large stream of revenue. You don’t like sports, hey that’s on your parents. But you still have to be a business man.
he leaves it up to the AD which is the problem. I don't mind having a president not meddle in sports when it isn't their speciality but I have an issue with him keeping Blake in charge. also, hes not very good at maintaining the US news rankings that shalala helped improve

Oh, I agree that we should have had a better (well, any) search and vetting process, and I agree that Blake James is a crappy AD. And I think it's likely that both Blake and Diaz will be fired by season's end.

That said, we have had national searches in the past and have made a succession of poor hires. I think each had their merits and looked good on paper (e.g., Shannon had a stellar record as a DC and had won championships and various coaching awards at UM). And I think that our limited budget and limited resources has played a big role in the level of talent that we're able to attract.
this. you can hire 14 search firms and conduct a 30 week search internationally, but if you aren't willing to spend money and provide ample budgets for that coach on top of that, you'll get what you pay for. 7.1 for Manny (buyout plus his year 1 salary) is still less than what it will take to get Mario here plus the staff and resources **** need and should receive. if you want to be good, time to stop thinking its 1983 and pay up.

Advertisement
You bring valid points and I agree that athletics will not get us back to the upper 40's in rankings but it is a lot easier to reach those levels with a strong athletic program than it is without it. I hate Florida with a passion but they understand the importance of having strong academics while prioritizing athletics. It really is common sense. Prioritizing in athletics is prioritizing in your brand. There is no bigger marketing tool than athletics. The University of Miami is doing themselves no service by not prioritizing athletics.
I would argue that as a small school prioritizing athletics is all the more important than ever! My niece attended Alabama (lived out of state) mostly because she was enamored with the football program. She was in the Honors College and did very well but the winning culture is what initially drew her in and continues to draw others due to their high profile football program. Those who think it's not important haven't been to Alabama's campus or see what the football money from grads & supporters has done. Our neighbors lived in Birmingham, never missed a game & still root for them/donate money to this day.

this. you can hire 14 search firms and conduct a 30 week search internationally, but if you aren't willing to spend money and provide ample budgets for that coach on top of that, you'll get what you pay for. 7.1 for Manny (buyout plus his year 1 salary) is still less than what it will take to get Mario here plus the staff and resources **** need and should receive. if you want to be good, time to stop thinking its 1983 and pay up.
Can you provide an example of another small private college like UM that has "paid up"? I can only think of ND which has a MUCH larger donor base with MUCH deeper pockets than UM. USC comes to mind, but they've made a series of coaching blunders and AD missteps since the days of Pete Carrol. Maybe Baylor? But again, bigger pool of big-money donors.

Advertisement
Nice humble brag, nerd.

Humility and modesty are my best quality. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I didn't even mention that I drive a very expensive car, that I have large muscles, or that I have a chin that could cut through butter. No... modesty is a quality I truly prize, so I would never say those things out loud.

Jokes aside... the point honestly wasn't to brag, it was just to say that "UM should respond" isn't just my random opinion, it's what the leading business schools are teaching nowadays. SayWhat is right that it's not the only school of thought, but it's sure the one I believe in.

Couple quick things on rankings/resources.

For the UNDERGRAD piece of the rankings, yes, football/basketball makes a difference. Undergrads want to enjoy "the college experience", and sports is a part of that. Good football/basketball drives applications, more applications drives "selectivity index" and selectivity index drives PART of the rankings.

AT THE SAME TIME, any president must push hard to improve the GRADUATE RESEARCH side of the rankings too. I have frequently cited "AAU membership" as something UM should be working on, and this is driven by grad research, NOT the "undergrad selectivity" component of the rankings.

Both are important, but there is no doubt that athletics impacts the undergrad portion TREMENDOUSLY.

He never misses a chance to tell you about the year (or maybe two) that he spent at Yale.
giphy.gif

Miami has hired two former national health service admins in a row to be president. To think the school is prioritizing athletics is idiotic. You guys presume Tad Foote was into football. Just a little digging will disprove that theory. No, the school does not want to dominate any sport. It wants to call the shots and not have the athletic dept. wag the dog.

Advertisement
Back