If ND to ACC...

Maybe they can have our spot and we'll go to the Big 12.
HighDizzyCheetah-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
Maybe they can have our spot and we'll go to the Big 12.
More likely we get demoted to Division 2, the Group of 5, or the MAC. Those Tobacco Road boys have to be getting tired of us stealing money from them while fielding teams that are beyond abysmal punching bags and Everyone's Favorite Homecoming Opponent.

More likely we get demoted to Division 2, the Group of 5, or the MAC. Those Tobacco Road boys have to be getting tired of us stealing money from them while fielding teams that are beyond abysmal punching bags and Everyone's Favorite Homecoming Opponent.
There's simply no way you typed that with a straight face.

I can see the myth of Notre Dame and "NBC mega money" is going to live around here about as long as the myth that Luigi got some massive raise to flee to Baga.

Let me reiterate:

Notre Dame made $5 mil LESS last year as an independent with the NBC deal than they would have as a full ACC member institution.

Advertisement
That's actually a giant and quite surprising myth. Notre Dame actually made $5 mil LESS last year than if they had been an ACC member football school. Either a complete moron negotiated their deal with NBC and/or their "independnce" is just an ego/pride thing.

The latter part is true. They're trying to hold on to the illusion that they're oh-so-special because this is the only thing they have left. With each year that passes, fewer people are buying into it. Right now they're a prominent team because Kelly's done a good job and put them in the top 5, but it's not because of their name or history. Let them slip back to normal and most of the nation will go back to not caring.

I can see the myth of Notre Dame and "NBC mega money" is going to live around here about as long as the myth that Luigi got some massive raise to flee to Baga.

Let me reiterate:

Notre Dame made $5 mil LESS last year as an independent with the NBC deal than they would have as a full ACC member institution.
The perceived upside of that deal has always been weekly national exposure. That value has diminished significantly now that there are more than a few games televised nationally every week.

If ND does become a full member in football sometime soon, what are your thoughts for alignment?
Do you think the ACC would go get a 16th team or stay at 15 and do like this year with no divisions?
If 16th team, who and what type of divisions? 2 divisions or four 4 team pods?
I owuld go to 16 and grab Maryland back from the big 10. Simple

Advertisement
is Cincinnatian option
Assuming other large teams are on the table, I would lead with Cincy, UCF or USF. CIncy is in Ohio, which is a talent rich state and one that we could benefit from and UCF/USF helps us with our bottomline and helps us establish an even stronger tie to the Orlando/Lakeland/Tampa market and HS's.

IF the ACC could get Notre Dame to join, then Notre Dame would probably get to choose who joins with them. They have all the leverage.

We would probably have to invite Army, Navy, and Notre Dame.... and kick out someone like Wake Forest to get to an even 16. Probably impossible to boot an existing member legally, though.

Notre Dame really loves being independent. I don't think they give that up without some serious change in the status quo, so I think the whole thing is doubtful.

IF the ACC could get Notre Dame to join, then Notre Dame would probably get to choose who joins with them. They have all the leverage.

We would probably have to invite Army, Navy, and Notre Dame.... and kick out someone like Wake Forest to get to an even 16. Probably impossible to boot an existing member legally, though.

Notre Dame really loves being independent. I don't think they give that up without some serious change in the status quo, so I think the whole thing is doubtful.
This is all more than likely prattle but I'd have no problem adding Navy alone if Notre Dame joins. I'd certainly prefer it to the USF/UCF talk or Cincinnati. WVU will never happen due to academics/image and Pedo State won't the leave the Big and Slow Ten. At least with Navy you get the prestige and luster of a service academy and the occasional Cinderella story.

Advertisement

Let me reiterate:

Exactly.

And until Comcast and the rest of the cable TV mafia add the "Notre Dame Network" on Tier 1 cable, the gap is going to get wider.

Once again, you post a complete load of bullsh!te.

Notre Dame AND the ACC will both want a major market for the 16th member. ND can continue to schedule Navy as an "OOC game".

There is no way in **** that the ACC is booting Wake for Army/Navy.

Let me reiterate:

I would take that deal in heart beat. No Tobacco Road sabatoge, pay for our home game refs instead of being assigned Jeff the Glasses wearing redneck ref for all our critical ACC games (MIT peer reviewed research PROVES we get screwed in officiating), control our scheduling, Minimium half the season national exposure as opposed to ACCN (soon to be the SEC's JV squad on ESPN)...Shall I continue?

Advertisement
If notre dame were to join, the ACC would have to attract another big fish to become 16 team league. Pen state, texas.

I wish conference could make trades. Nc State/Wake for Auburn and Vanderbilt
Penn State would be a great add
if not, WVU
/ I don’t think we can attract Texas

I know Wake is the smallest(?) Power 5 school, but they aren't getting kicked out without a lengthy legal fight.

If there were to be a 16th team, it would probably be a school currently in the AAC. Cincinnati, Temple, Memphis, or Tulane would probably be the leading candidates. Out of those 4, I would think Temple or Tulane would have the ultimate edge, Temple being in a big market where the ACC doesn't have roots and Tulane in prime SEC territory with top tier academics.

I don't see us plucking any current Power 5 teams, mostly because of GOR contracts. West Virginia could be an option but I can easily see the ACC turning them down because of academics.

I could also see UConn being a candidate as they got shafted the most out of all the schools by the past realignment when neither the ACC nor the new Big East would take them. But now they are in the new Big East with football being independent, so I'm curious to see if that arrangement lasts.

If what won't happen happens...

Would like to see Maryland return. Don't understand from a competitive standpoint moving to a conference where local recruits' families have to travel longer distances to see them. Ditto Nebraska moving back to Big XII so they can recruit TX.

I used to like geographical conferences because you would compare regions with each other. If not Maryland, Penn State would be a nice add.

No to UCF...Don't need yet another school eating into recruits and I am a season ticket holder.

Advertisement
Back