If Miami closed down the program who would you root for?

Can't believe this thread survived this long. C'mon mods.

Not really sure why the mods need to be involved. Noone is trolling and the majority of the conversation/responses have actually been somewhat respectable. Literally, the closest thing to attacks have been some fans saying others aren't real fans for responding honestly. I guess you're just looking for another thread discussing why Al Golden sucks so it can devolve into the usual argument that's been going for over 3 years.

I'm surprised it's still getting responses after this long. I'm glad I could contribute a thread that is loosely (very loosely) tied to the state of our program and has actually stayed fairly civil and is not about Al Golden.

Not at all concerned about anyone trolling. What I'm talking about is one of thee worst topics I've ever seen on this board. As a Canes fan, I could not and would not ever think about rooting for another program and neither should another Canes fan (not even in a what if scenario). This thread is whack, point blank period.

Still the point is valid. Is there a difference between shut down and so bad as to be unbearable? I only watch Cane football at this point. Last year was very painful and several weeks I did not even bother to watch. I did not substitute another team. If not the Canes then I will not watch college football.

Advertisement

Not really sure why the mods need to be involved. Noone is trolling and the majority of the conversation/responses have actually been somewhat respectable. Literally, the closest thing to attacks have been some fans saying others aren't real fans for responding honestly. I guess you're just looking for another thread discussing why Al Golden sucks so it can devolve into the usual argument that's been going for over 3 years.

I'm surprised it's still getting responses after this long. I'm glad I could contribute a thread that is loosely (very loosely) tied to the state of our program and has actually stayed fairly civil and is not about Al Golden.

Not at all concerned about anyone trolling. What I'm talking about is one of thee worst topics I've ever seen on this board. As a Canes fan, I could not and would not ever think about rooting for another program and neither should another Canes fan (not even in a what if scenario). This thread is whack, point blank period.

Still the point is valid. Is there a difference between shut down and so bad as to be unbearable? I only watch Cane football at this point. Last year was very painful and several weeks I did not even bother to watch. I did not substitute another team. If not the Canes then I will not watch college football.

I'm not saying that the non-alumni fans are in any way inferior to people with a tangible attachment to the school- God knows that those fans are in many ways wayyyy better than alumni- but all this thread does is weed most of the people out that may have never set foot on campus and would be inclined to go pull for another program. Really can't see a realistic instance in which someone that went to UM would do this short of some lame excuse of following the team of some school their kids went to or somewhere they went for grad school or something. Again, those would be very lame rationales. The only right answer to this question is "I'd follow/support whatever team I bet on that Saturday and would be a fan of my NFL team on Sunday".

I'm not saying that the non-alumni fans are in any way inferior to people with a tangible attachment to the school- God knows that those fans are in many ways wayyyy better than alumni- but all this thread does is weed most of the people out that may have never set foot on campus and would be inclined to go pull for another program. Really can't see a realistic instance in which someone that went to UM would do this short of some lame excuse of following the team of some school their kids went to or somewhere they went for grad school or something. Again, those would be very lame rationales. The only right answer to this question is "I'd follow/support whatever team I bet on that Saturday and would be a fan of my NFL team on Sunday".

Tad, this response is not all directed at you, this is general response.
This thread was simply an alternative discussion outside of the usual Al Golden sucks or BOT/admin sucks. Would you have been happier if I asked you if Miami never existed who would you be a fan of? Would your jimmies be less rustled? Would your panties be unbunched?

If you are a fan of an NFL team in your hometown and they move to another city and become another team (think Baltimore Ravens), are they still going to be your favorite team?

1. You guys assume to be better fans, because you would not entertain the the question. If you don't like the question, then you should have stopped reading the thread after the first post.

2. You guys are taking the question way to serious. It was a hypothetical question. The question was not meant to say people are considering other teams. The question was not meant to say anyone seriously believes the program is shutting down. It was not meant for people to jump ship.

3. This question was not for stroking your ego to prove you are a better fan and to weed out people who did not actually go to the school simply because they didn't give your communist approved response.

4. This question is 100% based on the statements made by many on this board about the program should or will be shut down, including some of you same ones now saying this thread proves you are not a fan.

Seriously, get over yourselves. Grow up and get the stick out of your butt. It was a simple question just to see what kind of responses people might give, just to see what people would do. I know unreal situations might be hard to wrap your heads around, but some people can generate thoughts of their own outside of the hive mind. If you don't like the thread, don't open it anymore and return to your usual Al Golden/Dno/BOT sucks thread. If you want to stroke your ego, go start another thread about how much better of a fan you are than everyone else.

Not sure there one, or any, right answer. Merely a valid question for discussion. I do not pay much attention to alumi/non-alumi thing. I was fan before I became an alum and before SunTan U became THE U. As an alum I became a donor, reasonably big one but not mega type. SunTan U was something to watch and enjoy on occasion. While several truly great players graced our field through those years, the team was nothing to get excited about and thump your chest over. Howard, JJ and the kids change all that. THE U became something more. What that something is differs with each person, but I will not deny anyone who has stuck as a fan though the last dozen years the right to feel however they do. You just can't tell someone how to morn the loss of a love one.

Advertisement
Back