If I'm the coach of a major program why would I want a satellite campus at my school?

jw410

Senior
Banned
I just keep seeing the butch davis Satellite campus ad.. .thinking to myself why would I want Oklahoma at my campus.

Advertisement
We had Southern Miss and Temple at our camps the past two weeks, so it's collaboration among coaches, and basically whatever above said about recruiting the same type of players.

Advertisement
We're on the same level as OK and Penn State, in terms respectability and brand. Miami doesn't bring in power 5 schools to assist with their camps. No need too.
I think you misunderstood my response. I meant that Miami would never bring in schools that are on par with them that's why they "allowed" Temple and Southern Miss in. In essence they're not a threat to us, fiu is bringing in schools that can easily get any kid fiu wants without even really trying.

Advertisement
I think you misunderstood my response. I meant that Miami would never bring in schools that are on par with them that's why they "allowed" Temple and Southern Miss in. In essence they're not a threat to us, fiu is bringing in schools that can easily get any kid fiu wants without even really trying.

Butch knows* he's not getting any of the kids OK has legit interest in, but there will be players that don't quite make the cut for OK who will be directly exposed to his program when they might not have bothered with it otherwise. Makes perfect sense to me.

*He is after all, DA GAWWWW

Butch knows the game and he is clear this is a slap in the face to UM. Both OK and PSU are direct threats to us with top players.

Ok in fiu example I understand but in our example I don't see the benefit.

Example a

School a = Fiu aka - ****** school camp turnout would be terrible........ by inviting school b aka Oklahoma or schools with more name recognition like Oklahoma they increase the number of high school athletes that'll attend their camp. This scenario makes sense.

Example b

Miami has great name recognition we're inviting temple and southern miss for what?

A chance to put them on our schedule as a patsy free win later on? Definitely not helping us to from a turnout standpoint is it?

Last edited:
Having a camp with Oklahoma will probably get players to the camp, that might not have attended FIU's camp. Gives FIU more exposure. Also as mentioned above they are not recruiting the same players

this... like I mentioned in the other thread bama was there on Saturday.

Advertisement
Ok in fiu example I understand but in our example I don't see the benefit.

Example a

School a = Fiu aka - ****** school camp turnout would be terrible........ by inviting school b aka Oklahoma or schools with more name recognition like Oklahoma they increase the number of high school athletes that'll attend their camp. This scenario makes sense.

Example b

Miami has great name recognition we're inviting temple and southern miss for what?

A chance to put them on our schedule as a patsy free win later on? Definitely not helping us to from a turnout standpoint is it?

It helps with community relations. The UM brand will entice ALL of the top Miami "talent" to its camps and these "other" two schools will be able to see a plethora of players that they would not be able to see without the camp, because Southern Miss and Temple have limited recruiting budgets. This event will most likely result in a greater number of scholarship offers for "secondary" players. These are players that would not have been able to garner a scholarship under other circumstances, which in turn helps the community and enhances UM's image in the eyes of local coaches (i.e. players getting degrees that they would otherwise be unable to attain...). This is what they now call a: "win win for all parties".

Funny that I can't see Rice or SMU or Tulane doing one of these with us.

God bless Ol' Butch but this **** is low rent amateur hour garbage. Have some pride. A) He doesn't need "exposure". He's supposed to be able to recruit the 2 and 3 star kids down here just fine and B) Now I really do hope we show absolutely no mercy on Sept. 22. Embarass his *** to the point where the real "exposure" is them losing by about 70.

Funny that I can't see Rice or SMU or Tulane doing one of these with us.

God bless Ol' Butch but this **** is low rent amateur hour garbage. Have some pride. A) He doesn't need "exposure". He's supposed to be able to recruit the 2 and 3 star kids down here just fine and B) Now I really do hope we show absolutely no mercy on Sept. 22. Embarass his *** to the point where the real "exposure" is them losing by about 70.

Butch is simply applying pressure, but I would do the opposite. I would establish an alliance with Richt and recruit the players that UM cannot offer scholarships to due to class-size limitations. Inviting top programs to his campus entices athletes to attend his camps and it increases competition for the top kids in the area. Diverting UM's attention may enable Butch to attain 2-5 kids that UM overlooks due to the increased "P5" attention for kids in the area. I think that this is a faulty strategy. Jordan Miller seems to be an overlooked 4*, and UM seems to be successfully replacing the most sought-after recruits with comparable "overlooked" talent.... Richt's team seems to be much more focused on evaluation that UF and FSU.....

He is clearly working "against" UM and I would actually do the opposite.................

Advertisement
Has nothing to do with UM. Has been going on in s.fla for the last decade. Happens at FAU as well. It gets some of the other big dog recruits to show...which in turn brings higher level prospects for FIU from those kids schools. **** I remember UM coaches at a FAMU satellite camp a few years ago in Miramar. Also some of the coaching staffs may have connections so...FIU isn't recruiting the same kids as Oklahoma, Um, Penn State, it aint affecting them at all.

Thing is...we need to be setting up shop with GA STATE, TULANE, AND SMU.

Butch will happily take the scraps that fall off Oklahoma’s table.

Getting these kids in and familiar with the coaches and campus will the hopes of landing some of “the best of the rest” isn’t a bad plan.

Last edited:
That's not such a bad idea really. Let's face it Davis knows that fiu will never be more than it is, I refuse to believe he thinks otherwise.
FAU is far ahead of fiu and they can't even get Kiffin to sign his new deal last I heard. We know first hand how tough this area is.

I would partner with Richt........ Keep the other schools out of Florida. When UM defines its Board, maybe host a camp with secondary players. Inviting PSU and Oklahoma to Miami is not going to endear yourself to the Hurricanes!

Advertisement
Back