If I'm the coach of a major program why would I want a satellite campus at my school?

I see why FIU does it, to help it get kids. I think Miami invited lesser schools serves a different function. First, like posted above, it helps lesser local kids get scholarships-we do good for our community. It also gets Miami's name spread in the areas of the schools we invite. So, we raise our presence in NJ [where we have landed some good kids] and the mid-South. I too would prefer Ga. State and Rice to get stronger in Georgia and Texas, but I am not running things.

Advertisement
Has nothing to do with UM. Has been going on in s.fla for the last decade. Happens at FAU as well. It gets some of the other big dog recruits to show...which in turn brings higher level prospects for FIU from those kids schools. **** I remember UM coaches at a FAMU satellite camp a few years ago in Miramar. Also some of the coaching staffs may have connections so...FIU isn't recruiting the same kids as Oklahoma, Um, Penn State, it aint affecting them at all.

Thing is...we need to be setting up shop with GA STATE, TULANE, AND SMU.

^This right here.

I see why FIU does it, to help it get kids. I think Miami invited lesser schools serves a different function. First, like posted above, it helps lesser local kids get scholarships-we do good for our community. It also gets Miami's name spread in the areas of the schools we invite. So, we raise our presence in NJ [where we have landed some good kids] and the mid-South. I too would prefer Ga. State and Rice to get stronger in Georgia and Texas, but I am not running things.

Yes I would legitimately apply pressure in those states. I would even send a coach back up to Temple. They had **** near there whole coaching staff there on Saturday.
I know we have presence in ga already..but Richt going back would put UGA on notice. Even If its just at a GA State camp. I have no idea why we aren't planted in the Dallas area either. Louisiana has been good to us as well and Tulane has came an recruited S.fla since CJ was the HC.

Advertisement
I understand everything everyone is saying and obviously FAU has been doing this nonsense for a while but:

- Can you imagine UAB doing this?

- Wasn't Butch the master recruiter/diamond in the rough finder/sage of South Florida? Why does he NEED to do this? At the end of the day he's no better than a clown like Kiffin with no previous ties here or the bums that preceded him then.

- We absolutely should team up with a Pac 32 school and do this in Texas, Louisiana or Georgia then. Like I said, let's see if those communities embrace it.

- Lastly (and again), if Butch wants to facilitate the presence of out of state powers down here even more than they already are then we absolutely need to facilitate his national embarrassment in Sept. I'm talking about passing on 4th down late while up 56 points. I'm talking fake punts. I'm talking onside kicks. I'm talking absolutely no mercy.

Butch Davis is a football God.

holo.gif

I understand everything everyone is saying and obviously FAU has been doing this nonsense for a while but:

- Can you imagine UAB doing this?

- Wasn't Butch the master recruiter/diamond in the rough finder/sage of South Florida? Why does he NEED to do this? At the end of the day he's no better than a clown like Kiffin with no previous ties here or the bums that preceded him then.

- We absolutely should team up with a Pac 32 school and do this in Texas, Louisiana or Georgia then. Like I said, let's see if those communities embrace it.

- Lastly (and again), if Butch wants to facilitate the presence of out of state powers down here even more than they already are then we absolutely need to facilitate his national embarrassment in Sept. I'm talking about passing on 4th down late while up 56 points. I'm talking fake punts. I'm talking onside kicks. I'm talking absolutely no mercy.

We should team up with UNLV and host a camp in Las Vegas.

And we should absolutely crush FIU in Syracuse/Washington-2001 style.

Advertisement
Unacceptable, CD. I know you're a Butch acolyte but James Franklin just announced on twitter that you offered to house his greasy *** while he's down here. For shame. For. Shame.

I'm gonna kidnap him and bring him to mat drills in a gimp outfit complete with a :neonu: ball gag.

I play 3D Star Wars chess my friend.

Rather than lament Butch hosting other P5 programs on FIU's campus, I'd rather see UM be proactive and take part in such camps in places like Texas, Louisiana and Georgia. Texas in particular has been great for us over the years. The camps aren't going away, they will just take on different shapes to skirt whatever loose rules are put in place.

FIU is clearly trying to get the table scraps, but is it a sound policy or are there other unintended consequences? The more P5 schools you invite to Dade, the more these schools get up close and personal with South Florida athletes, potentially leading to more offers and more recruits going out of state. As more South Florida recruits sign out of state, UM will need to cast a wider net to bring in good athletes. This results in less-touted kids with plus athletic traits getting UM offers. But had UM not been placed in the position of having to cast a wider net for recruits in the first place, those less-touted kids might have slipped through UM's grasp and into FIU's class.

FIU may think it is helping itself, but it's not so clear cut to me. More legitimate P5 programs in South Florida means more recruits leaving South Florida. That ends up hurting all the programs recruiting down here with a geographical advantage (including teams like FAU, UCF, and USF).

FIU is like the little 4th grader who is tired of the class bully cutting to the front of the lunch line on pizza day, so he calls in the 5th grade bully. With the 5th grade bully at the front of the line, the 4th grade bully definitely drops back a spot, but now that little fourth grader has two bullies ahead of him. He still isn't getting that pizza.

Whatever P5 power program Butch brings down, he is facilitating their recruiting down here against us. There is no question about that. They’re here. Trust me, they’ll be working it hard. Twenty four hours in a day, 2 hours in a camp.

He has other primary reasons for doing it, but don’t count this out as ONE of the reasons, or at the very least, a nice little bonus. And for all the respect and appreciation I have for Butch for what he did for us in the past, if you don’t think he resents that Miami didn’t hire him after he practically begged for the job, you’re fooling yourself. Remember Butch plays any hand, including using Sean Taylor’s murder.

Let’s not be naive. He’s going to get his shots in when he can, even in the most devious ways.

Advertisement
FIU is clearly trying to get the table scraps, but is it a sound policy or are there other unintended consequences? The more P5 schools you invite to Dade, the more these schools get up close and personal with South Florida athletes, potentially leading to more offers and more recruits going out of state. As more South Florida recruits sign out of state, UM will need to cast a wider net to bring in good athletes. This results in less-touted kids with plus athletic traits getting UM offers. But had UM not been placed in the position of having to cast a wider net for recruits in the first place, those less-touted kids might have slipped through UM's grasp and into FIU's class.

FIU may think it is helping itself, but it's not so clear cut to me. More legitimate P5 programs in South Florida means more recruits leaving South Florida. That ends up hurting all the programs recruiting down here with a geographical advantage (including teams like FAU, UCF, and USF).

FIU is like the little 4th grader who is tired of the class bully cutting to the front of the lunch line on pizza day, so he calls in the 5th grade bully. With the 5th grade bully at the front of the line, the 4th grade bully definitely drops back a spot, but now that little fourth grader has two bullies ahead of him. He still isn't getting that pizza.

FIU as a progrum might feel like that.

Butch Davis the God doesn't. Guaranteed.

Every progrum in the country recruits SoFla even the putahs from Utah. It's not a big secret where all the talent is.

Rather than lament Butch hosting other P5 programs on FIU's campus, I'd rather see UM be proactive and take part in such camps in places like Texas, Louisiana and Georgia. Texas in particular has been great for us over the years. The camps aren't going away, they will just take on different shapes to skirt whatever loose rules are put in place.

LOL, nobody is inviting a re-surged Miami to their campus camp, that's the last thing they want.

LOL, nobody is inviting a re-surged Miami to their campus camp, that's the last thing they want.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think non-P5 schools in these states would kill for a marquee event on their campuses. You're stuck in 1990s thinking.

Advertisement
You're kidding yourself if you don't think non-P5 schools in these states would kill for a marquee event on their campuses. You're stuck in 1990s thinking.

I'd be curious to know which schools you think would be willing to invite Miami to come to their campus and participate in a camp.

Yes I would legitimately apply pressure in those states. I would even send a coach back up to Temple. They had **** near there whole coaching staff there on Saturday.
I know we have presence in ga already..but Richt going back would put UGA on notice. Even If its just at a GA State camp. I have no idea why we aren't planted in the Dallas area either. Louisiana has been good to us as well and Tulane has came an recruited S.fla since CJ was the HC.

Agreed. Coach Dugans used to coach WRs at Georgia Southern. It's about 3 hours from UGA, but I think that's close enough to make them feel the heat.

EDIT: And as a side bonus, UM at a Georgia Southern camp would make UiF sweat bullets.

For FIU, it just gets more solid kids on campus...there are plenty of kids that are rated relatively high now, that will become FIU type prospects as the year goes on. Whether it be grades, performance, other offers drying up, etc. Having Oklahoma and Penn State does nothing to FIU, they don't recruit the same kids. However, this does open the door for Oklahoma get in on some more prospects down here.

Last cycle, they got Miguel Edwards, Nik Bonnitto as well as two IMG kids...the cycle before a linebacker from WPB and Hollywood Brown after a JUCO stint...they had Ahmad Thomas a few years ago...Eric Striker was a Florida kid they got...

This is a school that is trying to get a little pipeline in the state of Florida. Need to keep an eye on'em.

Advertisement
Back