ICE Announcement - Potential Impact on Louis Hedley?

Scoot Scoot

7th Year Walk-On
Saw this posted on Reddit and didn’t even think of it until then. ICE announced that if classes are online in the fall, foreign students must return home.

I know UM has announced the campus will reopen in the fall. However, given the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, if UM cancels classes in-person classes in the fall, does that mean that Hedley would have to leave the country?

ICE Article

Last edited:
Advertisement
The University is prepared for on campus classes. They will offer on campus, remote and hybrid classes this fall. Students are getting a letter in the next couple of days, giving them the choice to choose in person or remote classes for the semester. They must return their selection by July 28th.

Advertisement
At some schools participating in a varsity sport will earn you 1 PE credit. Since he can't punt online, if UM gives credits for sports then I imagine this would count.

Made-up problem solved!

Some people relish discussing scenarios that give us the worst possible odds for playing in the fall.

OP had to dig deep for this one. Reddit and ICE. Let that sink in.

Next he’ll be telling us they’re going to ship him back in a cage to Australia, because Hedley is like you know, the only foreigner playing a collegiate sport in the U.S.

Advertisement
Universities are going to be forced to open to tutoring etc. Not fair that students still pay so much money and the university staff gets left out of jobs. If they are going online only than you shouldn’t pay the ridiculous amounts of money that international students have to pay. DOS may decline issuing visas though.

Advertisement
Made-up problem solved!

Some people relish discussing scenarios that give us the worst possible odds for playing in the fall.

OP had to dig deep for this one. Reddit and ICE. Let that sink in.

Next he’ll be telling us they’re going to ship him back in a cage to Australia, because Hedley is like you know, the only foreigner playing a collegiate sport in the U.S.
Ease up, man. It was a legit question and there is no reason to be a ****. I don’t relish any of this and I certainly didn’t “dig deep” to pull the top post from r/CFB.

You would have to be blind to not see that online-only classes could potentially happen if things take a turn for the worst. Like last spring, schools that start with in-person instruction could transition fully online at some point in the fall. If you read the ICE announcement, schools must note the change to online only courses within 10 days.

Like another mentioned, I’m not sure this ICE policy is implemented as it stands, but this could impact Hedley and other D1 athletes.

Advertisement
Ease up, man. It was a legit question and there is no reason to be a ****. I don’t relish any of this and I certainly didn’t “dig deep” to pull the top post from r/CFB.

You would have to be blind to not see that online-only classes could potentially happen if things take a turn for the worst. Like last spring, schools that start with in-person instruction could transition fully online at some point in the fall. If you read the ICE announcement, schools must note the change to online only courses within 10 days.

Like another mentioned, I’m not sure this ICE policy is implemented as it stands, but this could impact Hedley and other D1 athletes.

There’s always a reason to be a ****. It‘s what I do.

No major school is going to “online only”.

At the very least there will be undergraduates and post graduates doing some limited class work, especially in the sciences and research. Universities are not to going to stop functioning, doing important scientific and medical research, and generating research grants from the government and private industry because of Covid.

Think it through, my man.

Saw this posted on Reddit and didn’t even think of it until then. ICE announced that if classes are online in the fall, foreign students must return home.

I know UM has announced the campus will reopen in the fall. However, given the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, if UM cancels classes in-person classes in the fall, does that mean that Hedley would have to leave the country?

ICE Article
If Covid cases are still bad enough where in-person classes are moved to online, I would expect sports to be cancelled as well. So although Hedley would need to go home it wouldn’t matter bc we wouldn’t have a season for him to miss.

Advertisement
Back