I was wrong about Tom Herman.

Texas's issue is the Defense, their Offense can move the ball pretty well & have no problem putting up points, they just can't stop anybody.

I don't think Herman is necessarily a bad coach, he's 49-20 for his career & 4-0 in Bowl games, he's just not good enough to get Texas over the hump & be playoff contenders, because of the lofty expectations any time they lose it gets amplified because UT believes they're supposed to be on the same level as Bama, Clemson, Oh St, LSU etc..

Herman has had 4 winning seasons in 5 & quarter years as a HC (this year will be 6), he's not terrible like Muschamp or something, he's just not a championship coach.

He's a good recruiter, but he continues to miss on the very best players in TX, he gets his fair share of really good ones, but the elites are mainly going to Oklahoma, Bama, LSU, Clemson & other programs.

Unless UT decides to go with another hot shot G5 coach or go with a highly touted coordinator with no HC experience I don't think they fire him because I doubt they can steal a top HC from another program. If you're a HC that's already winning at your program, unless UT offers to quadruple your salary what incentive would you have to go there knowing they'll fire you if you don't win a Natty in 3 years?

I think Texas needs to decide if they're going to try to actually have a Defense in the Big XII where it's very difficult to actually have a good Defense because of the style of teams you have to face every week, or just embrace the Air Raid fully & disregard Defense completely & just focus on out scoring opponents every week.
This is why the Big 12 and Pac 12 can’t win a ship. It would take a a juggernaut offense to out score elite programs.

Advertisement
Texas players hate him While his Houston players seemed to love him. Texas will make a run at urban if Herman doesn’t win out.

Advertisement
Likely true, but will ND fire Kelly?

Kelly’s like a ****roach that won’t die.

He has some really bad seasons, and then he comes back with a fluky season where they always end up getting exposed by a good team late in the year.

Eventually he’s going to put together two or three bad seasons in a row and they end up having to fire him, I think. But that could take years.

I remember when we completely skull fūcked him in 2017 at HRS, that next Monday all the talking heads were talking about Kelly not being a right fit at Notre Dame, even some of the Notre Dame homers on ESPN, like Mike Golic, were really sour on him

Advertisement

He has some really bad seasons, and then he comes back with a fluky season where they always end up getting exposed by a good team late in the year.

Eventually he’s going to put together two or three bad seasons in a row and they end up having to fire him, I think. But that could take years.

I remember when we completely skull fūcked him in 2017 at HRS, that next Monday all the talking heads were talking about Kelly not being a right fit at Notre Dame, even some of the Notre Dame homers on ESPN, like Mike Golic, were really sour on him

then he followed it up w a playoff appearance

Eventually he’s going to put together two or three bad seasons in a row and they end up having to fire him, I think. But that could take years
Kelly’s has 10-win seasons 4 of the last 5. Is that good enough for ND while watching Clemson, Bama, and Ohio State dominate CFB? Or, are there back-channel conversations between ND boosters and Myer’s reps? Like there was with Ohio State.

Fuente and Herman both ended up being busts.
Fuente is a disaster.

I wouldn’t call Herman a bust. He’s just not the next Meyer, Saban, or Dabo. Unrealistic expectation. He did well in two years at Houston. Beat FSU in a bowl but the Noles were only a TD favorite. Opened the following season with a upset over OU and later over Louisville and Lamar Jackson. Herman also lost to unranked UConn, Navy, SMU, and Memphis when Houston was a favorite.

Advertisement
Fuente is a disaster.

I wouldn’t call Herman a bust. He’s just not the next Meyer, Saban, or Dabo. Unrealistic expectation. He did well in two years at Houston. Beat FSU in a bowl but the Noles were only a TD favorite. Opened the following season with a upset over OU and later over Louisville and Lamar Jackson. Herman also lost to unranked UConn, Navy, SMU, and Memphis when Houston was a favorite.

hes been a bust at texas imo.

Advertisement
Kelly’s has 10-win seasons 4 of the last 5. Is that good enough for ND while watching Clemson, Bama, and Ohio State dominate CFB? Or, are there back-channel conversations between ND boosters and Myer’s reps? Like there was with Ohio State.

Well they’re of the firm belief they are the football elite, like they were in the 40s and 50s and 60s, so eventually it won’t be good enough.

You can’t continue to win 10 - 11 games a year, making the playoffs every once in a while, but then getting totally clocked every time - the fanbase and boosters delusions will take over, and they will start to get tired of not doing anything when it comes to the big games.

I would be careful if I were Notre Dame. They could do a lot worse. They have been a lot worse. Nebraska thought they were better than 9 wins a year. Thought Frost was the answer. Nobody knew how bad it had gotten until Frost took over.

Advertisement
Back