I was wrong about Tom Herman.

I think @Liberty City El said it best; Herman is not a bad coach. However, as we know, keeping the best talent home is imperative. UT’s 2020 class may be the class that get UT back on track. He recruited 2 of the top 3 Dual QBs in the nation & they are both from Texas. He was able to keep a lot of top 10 at their position home that class. We’ll see, but the team does look lifeless on the Def side...but ****, so do all Big 12 teams.

Advertisement
Texas is like UGA. Think they are better than they are and actually have no history of winning.
Not sure you can say they have no history of winning. They are tied for 3rd with the most wins in college football history and claim 4 national titles.

I think @Liberty City El said it best; Herman is not a bad coach. However, as we know, keeping the best talent home is imperative. UT’s 2020 class may be the class that get UT back on track. He recruited 2 of the top 3 Dual QBs in the nation & they are both from Texas. He was able to keep a lot of top 10 at their position home that class. We’ll see, but the team does look lifeless on the Def side...but ****, so do all Big 12 teams.
How much longer before Red McCombs gets tired of him??

I think Red ks still alive...

When I saw the video of the dude, forcing himself on his players to take his kisses, I said to myself, “there’s something seriously wrong with this guy“.

Little clues like that tell you about people. There’s something wrong with that guy’s head

Advertisement
One guy said we have morals here at Texas and the next comment was Fu*k morals I want championships lol

This is the exact tradeoff with Meyer.

I wonder if ND has made a quiet run at him yet. They'd buy Kelly out in a heartbeat

No one with more false piety than Catholics.

Before I lived in Texas, I noticed a lot of their guys was already at their peak and now that I live here, I see why. The coaching here is much better than anywhere else I've lived. I've lived in GA, VA, and a number of other states and the coaching for the most part is bad or below average outside of a handful of programs.

In Texas, the coaching is usually decent and sometimes good but these guys are overcoached and trained. By the time they get to college, they are at their peak. There are a lot of HS in Texas with bad coaches but a lot of the winning programs have decent or good coaching. I really think this is why Texas struggles even when they sign great HS athletes. I also think GA and FL have the best athletes, not TX. I think TX has the best and most polished football players but the issue is peaking too soon is the problem. I rather a raw 3-4 star who can be elite as a Jr or Sr over a 5 star kid who peaked before he stepped foot on campus. That said, some of this is on the coaches, you need to make sure you scout well and look for signs.

I'm happy to say that I was on the other end of that spectrum a few years back on here when we were all debating, dude doesn't have it, never did. Very glad we didn't get him

Prior to Texas, where did he fail to meet or exceed expectations?

Advertisement
Not sure you can say they have no history of winning. They are tied for 3rd with the most wins in college football history and claim 4 national titles.

Lol of you want to go pre-1970, then sure. Since 1970, one title. By your criteria, Army also has a history of winning. They ruled the 1940s.

Before I lived in Texas, I noticed a lot of their guys was already at their peak and now that I live here, I see why. The coaching here is much better than anywhere else I've lived. I've lived in GA, VA, and a number of other states and the coaching for the most part is bad or below average outside of a handful of programs.

In Texas, the coaching is usually decent and sometimes good but these guys are overcoached and trained. By the time they get to college, they are at their peak. There are a lot of HS in Texas with bad coaches but a lot of the winning programs have decent or good coaching. I really think this is why Texas struggles even when they sign great HS athletes. I also think GA and FL have the best athletes, not TX. I think TX has the best and most polished football players but the issue is peaking too soon is the problem. I rather a raw 3-4 star who can be elite as a Jr or Sr over a 5 star kid who peaked before he stepped foot on campus. That said, some of this is on the coaches, you need to make sure you scout well and look for signs.
lmao, may be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

"overcoached and trained" what does that even mean?

Lol of you want to go pre-1970, then sure. Since 1970, one title. By your criteria, Army also has a history of winning. They ruled the 1940s.
Army is 40 spots and 200+ wins behind Texas. Texas has a history of winning. Not sure how you can argue they don’t. They are currently overrated and underperforming considering all of the resources they have.

Advertisement
Texas has too many soft kids. The best team in Texas is probably SMU right now.

I remember “Herman’s a savage”

Amazing he hasn’t been able to keep that same energy.

I will say one huge mistake this mid-major coaches make when they get the call.

Is hiring mid major assistant coaches. I know you feel like you own the guys who helped get you there and the trust factor.

But you really need to get guys in with experience and track record in the big time college ranks.

Advertisement
pay lashlee whatever he wants...lifetime contract
Actually a good topic for discussion. The what if.... If other schools come knocking for Lashlee as head coach candidate, what is Miami prepared to do to keep him? I am legit concerned that we will not have him for more than a year or two. Especially if he continues to light up the score board

Can you remind me what he said? I vaguely remember there were some issue between him and Herman.
Smith said he was a good coach but said he liked the flight attedants in bed more that his wife.

He also said Herman was a fake.

I will say this, doing well at Houston for 2 years and leaving Applewhite nothing to work with has to be a sign. You can not watch a coach like Lashlee for 3 games with a really good QB and determine him a savior. HC is all about putting a program together. Setting a tone with great staff and great hungry players. Taking the easy road to recruiting and only taking the good sophomores that are interested in Texas and not fighting Bama and OU for the top guys. Getting good athletes but no dogs is a problem. Thinking that the assistant can set a tone like the HC is laughable.

They're much like us. (only with more money)

They probably get poached for local talent as bad as we do. That's gotta be a tough HC job to have right now.
SIGNIFICANTLY morr money. They are likely the program with the deepest pockets (legal and illegal) in all CFB.

Seriously. What advantage does Texas not have?

Elite recruiting base. Check.
Unlimited funds. Check.
Passionate fan base. Check.

Hires great coaches. Oops.
The main problem for Texas is they have their pick of everyone. That means they decide which qb they want. And then when Texans like rg3 or Johnny manziel win the heisman at other schools, their boosters demand to know why those guys got away. It’s an embarrassment of riches, but puck wrong and there are consequences

Advertisement
Back