I was wrong about Tom Herman.

Advertisement
Lack of culture is the biggest cancer to any program. Once you find your football program suffering that decay, it's nearly impossible to recover. Mack Brown was very lax, and that laxed attitude settled in. It'll happen to UNC at some point.

Herman may be a good coach, but he doesn't seem to be the guy that can get passed the aforementioned culture issues.
See FSU.

and us for how long?

Let's say 2005 is the start. Couple that with a cheap and incompetent admin, it's been 10+ years and counting (pending how Manny Diaz does). Texas is about a decade in, even though they had one great year where they won the Sugar Bowl against UGA. Other than that, very forgettable seasons.

Advertisement
Let's say 2005 is the start. Couple that with a cheap and incompetent admin, it's been 10+ years and counting (pending how Manny Diaz does). Texas is about a decade in, even though they had one great year where they won the Sugar Bowl against UGA. Other than that, very forgettable seasons.

its amazing how **** snowballs...

Texas's issue is the Defense, their Offense can move the ball pretty well & have no problem putting up points, they just can't stop anybody.

I don't think Herman is necessarily a bad coach, he's 49-20 for his career & 4-0 in Bowl games, he's just not good enough to get Texas over the hump & be playoff contenders, because of the lofty expectations any time they lose it gets amplified because UT believes they're supposed to be on the same level as Bama, Clemson, Oh St, LSU etc..

Herman has had 4 winning seasons in 5 & quarter years as a HC (this year will be 6), he's not terrible like Muschamp or something, he's just not a championship coach.

He's a good recruiter, but he continues to miss on the very best players in TX, he gets his fair share of really good ones, but the elites are mainly going to Oklahoma, Bama, LSU, Clemson & other programs.

Unless UT decides to go with another hot shot G5 coach or go with a highly touted coordinator with no HC experience I don't think they fire him because I doubt they can steal a top HC from another program. If you're a HC that's already winning at your program, unless UT offers to quadruple your salary what incentive would you have to go there knowing they'll fire you if you don't win a Natty in 3 years?

I think Texas needs to decide if they're going to try to actually have a Defense in the Big XII where it's very difficult to actually have a good Defense because of the style of teams you have to face every week, or just embrace the Air Raid fully & disregard Defense completely & just focus on out scoring opponents every week.

Last edited:
Texas's issue is the Defense, their Offense can move the ball pretty well & have no problem putting up points, they just can't stop anybody.

I don't think Herman is necessarily a bad coach, he's 49-20 for his career & 4-0 in Bowl games, he's just not good enough to get Texas over the hump & be playoff contenders, because of the lofty expectations any time they lose it gets amplified because UT believes they're supposed to be on the same level as Bama, Clemson, Oh St, LSU etc..

Herman has had 4 winning seasons in 5 & quarter years as a HC (this year will be 6), he's not terrible like Muschamp or something, he's just not a championship coach.

He's a good recruiter, but he continues to miss on the very best players in TX, he gets his fair share of really good ones, but the elites are mainly going to Oklahoma, Bama, LSU, Clemson & other programs.

Unless UT decides to go with another hot shot G5 coach or go with a highly touted coordinator with no HC experience I don't think they fire him because I doubt they can steal a top HC from another program. If you're a HC that already winning at your program, unless UT offers to quadruple your salary what incentive would you have to go their knowing they'll fire you if you don't win a Natty in 3 years?

I think Texas needs to decide if they're going to try to actually have a Defense in the Big XII where it's very difficult to actually have a good Defense because of the style of teams you have to face every week, or just embrace the Air Raid fully & disregard Defense completely & just focus on out scoring opponents every week.
Catch 22 - sure, it would put them more in-line with OU. But, as we've seen with this approach, once you start playing out of conference, particularly Clemson, Bama, LSU, Ohio State (the elite programs), your lack of defense prevents you from winning any titles.

They lost four games the year the beat UGA. That win put the 9th in the final polls. Lose, and they’re a 5-loss team at the bottom of the Top 25.

Herman is good for pulling off an upset on occasion, but isn’t building at UT.

Advertisement
Lashlee to Texas in 3!
half baked boo GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement

Unless UT decides to go with another hot shot G5 coach or go with a highly touted coordinator with no HC experience I don't think they fire him because I doubt they can steal a top HC from another program. If you're a HC that already winning at your program, unless UT offers to quadruple your salary what incentive would you have to go their knowing they'll fire you if you don't win a Natty in 3 years?

Sounds like OU’s formula Liberty, it’s why Riley gets exposed every time they make the CFP. You would think Lincoln having seen how badly his defense has faired in what 3 CFP appearances that he would hire a top flight DC. He’s the OC he can afford it.

Lack of culture is the biggest cancer to any program. Once you find your football program suffering that decay, it's nearly impossible to recover. Mack Brown was very lax, and that laxed attitude settled in. It'll happen to UNC at some point.

Herman may be a good coach, but he doesn't seem to be the guy that can get passed the aforementioned culture issues.
I recall that when Mack left, one of the things that Charlie Strong did was make the players walk - shudder - to the practice bubble. Previously they had taken a bus with leather seats the 1000 feet to the bubble. He also got rid of the smoothie bar in the weight room.

Besides the unlimited funds and better recruiting base...very similar to Miami
I’d qualify Texas’s passionate fan base as much larger than Miami’s. The U is a smaller school though, so this is not a criticism of Miami.

Advertisement
Back