I told yall muddasuckas last week NOT TO PANIC about the offense! This defense doe...

1. You don't know the game plan. You're not part of the staff.
2. That's our game plan with EVERYBODY. Nothing was unique about what we did versus UL.
3. If your "game plan" gives up 34 points and over 500 yards of offense, your game plan sucks.
4. I watched a condensed version of the game. There was no game plan or conscious effort to take their best player out of the game.
5. Playing man while blitzing is forces tighter coverage than playing a 3 deep zone. You might not get beat over the top, but you'll get nickel and dimed to death. (like we did) You think that's a good game plan, but OC's have figured this out and when we blitz they dink/dunk.

What "game plan" allows WR's to catch the ball at 7 yards and run for another 7?
Makes. Zero. Sense.
One thing that stood out to me was Roche specifically lining up in a tight 5. Got reached multiple times. I wonder if that gets addressed moving forward as you would think widening and even tilting some would give him a better shot at setting the Edge. I have to go back and look but it might be specific to the gun back side to play the read game better. What do you think?

Advertisement
Having bolden on tutu is worse than the dolphins putting that overrated rookie corner from auburn on stefon diggs this past weekend

I'm sorry, but in what football world is THIS not considered "lighting it up"?
That is a fvckin' phenominal game by their skill guys. If our guys had a game like this we'd be ecstatic. (and they did, and we are)

Malik Cunningham26/363078.53

Javian Hawkins271646.11

Tutu Atwell811414.32

Dez Fitzpatrick77410.60

So explain to me how WHEN OUR GUYS have games like this, we suck Lashlee's dingaling and applaud our offense...
But when the opposing team's offense has a game like this we (1) make excuses and (2) say it was a good game plan.

Don't let the fact that we won distract you from the outstanding performance that Louisville's had against our defense. Be objective.

And they did it with kids who weren't recruited by big time programs.

This is a little misleading.

If you're losing 40-20 in the middle of the 4th quarter, is your offense really playing great?

Defense did not finish the game well. No one disputes that.

I just don't think it's time to hit the panic button.

One thing that stood out to me was Roche specifically lining up in a tight 5. Got reached multiple times. I wonder if that gets addressed moving forward as you would think widening and even tilting some would give him a better shot at setting the Edge. I have to go back and look but it might be specific to the gun back side to play the read game better. What do you think?
I know exactly what you're referring to, they even line him up like that when there's a TE outside of him, and I believe they want the LB to help on the edge there.
Seldom works. LOL

I know exactly what you're referring to, they even line him up like that when there's a TE outside of him, and I believe they want the LB to help on the edge there.
Seldom works. LOL
Been saying this for years... we use an under or add front principle against 11 but never actually line up in a 9. Drives me nuts. Setting the edge from space is a head scratcher for me.

Advertisement
This is a little misleading.

If you're losing 40-20 in the middle of the 4th quarter, is your offense really playing great?

Defense did not finish the game well. No one disputes that.

I just don't think it's time to hit the panic button.
Louisville missed some opportunities in the first half.
They came out in the second half and practically had their way with us.

That's more alarming to me than anything. That means their staff found a weakness at halftime and exploited it over and over again in the second half. I would rather see us give up points in the first half and then tighten up in the second.
I've always said that coaching really shows up in the second half of games.

Been saying this for years... we use an under or add front principle against 11 but never actually line up in a 9. Drives me nuts. Setting the edge from space is a head scratcher for me.
HATE IT!

I never leave a TE uncovered. Pet peeve of mine. You're giving a soft edge. You're asking a LB running down-hill to be that edge guy. Too sketchy for my liking.

HATE IT!

I never leave a TE uncovered. Pet peeve of mine. You're giving a soft edge. You're asking a LB running down-hill to be that edge guy. Too sketchy for my liking.
We agree that the DC and a few other Defensive coaches suck...who's on your short list to replace the dead weight?

Louisville missed some opportunities in the first half.
They came out in the second half and practically had their way with us.

That's more alarming to me than anything. That means their staff found a weakness at halftime and exploited it over and over again in the second half. I would rather see us give up points in the first half and then tighten up in the second.
I've always said that coaching really shows up in the second half of games.

I don't know. They put together two good drives in the 3rd quarter (aided by some holds that weren't called), then did nothing again until middle 4th quarter.

If that was the best our defense could play, I would be concerned.

I don't think it is.

Advertisement
I don't know. They put together two good drives in the 3rd quarter (aided by some holds that weren't called), then did nothing again until middle 4th quarter.

If that was the best our defense could play, I would be concerned.

I don't think it is.
Ok brother.
We'll revisit this convo as the season goes on. LOL

I'm a little worried though.

1. You don't know the game plan. You're not part of the staff.
2. That's our game plan with EVERYBODY. Nothing was unique about what we did versus UL.
3. If your "game plan" gives up 34 points and over 500 yards of offense, your game plan sucks.
4. I watched a condensed version of the game. There was no game plan or conscious effort to take their best player out of the game.
5. Playing man while blitzing is forces tighter coverage than playing a 3 deep zone. You might not get beat over the top, but you'll get nickel and dimed to death. (like we did) You think that's a good game plan, but OC's have figured this out and when we blitz they dink/dunk.

What "game plan" allows WR's to catch the ball at 7 yards and run for another 7?
Makes. Zero. Sense.
Toronto Raptors Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
I'm sorry, but in what football world is THIS not considered "lighting it up"?
That is a fvckin' phenominal game by their skill guys. If our guys had a game like this we'd be ecstatic. (and they did, and we are)

Malik Cunningham26/363078.53

Javian Hawkins271646.11

Tutu Atwell811414.32

Dez Fitzpatrick77410.60

So explain to me how WHEN OUR GUYS have games like this, we suck Lashlee's dingaling and applaud our offense...
But when the opposing team's offense has a game like this we (1) make excuses and (2) say it was a good game plan.

Don't let the fact that we won distract you from the outstanding performance that Louisville's had against our defense. Be objective.

And they did it with kids who weren't recruited by big time programs.
The kids who weren't recruited by big time programs is misleading. Hawkins and Tutu are NFL guys. Cunningham is a good college QB. Fitzpatrick will likely make a NFL roster. Tutu would be the best WR on our team. Full stop. Hawkins would be ridiculous in Lashlee's scheme.

Again, I think you offer great insight when you point out specific holes / reoccurring issues in a Manny / Baker scheme. But looking at these numbers, they're slightly misleading. 156 yards came in the 4th quarter when the game was out of touch. Louisville ran 85 plays and totaled 516 yard. Miami held them to 6.0 yards per play. Even with all of the misalignments, poor run contain, putting guys in terrible matchups like Bubba, that's a **** good number. Still a lot that can be improved upon for a defense that's replacing like 80% of its returning tackling production on the road against a Top 15 offense in the first conference game of the year.

Not lowering the standard for what is acceptable here, saying that Manny is a defensive savant, etc, but I do think that looking at numbers contextually is also important.

edit - Team plays has Louisville at 88 offensive plays. So we actually held them to 5.85 ypp

I been really trying to make sense of the whole delayed blitzing fromthe two farthest guys from the line of scrimmage and also the three man fronts smh
when you figure it out please tell us: they never get there, there come through the same gap: and behind them we are bailing out : has it ever worked.

Advertisement
We play that soft zone and blitz 6 from far back no matter who we play. Those blitzes are often very telegraphed and they always leave the middle of the field open. There is always easy passes available.
correct : makes no sense you blitz when supposedly you have beast on the d line. Another head scratcher, you put your best pass rusher in coverage, and you send a blitz from down town

Manny’s Diaz defense while was pretty Good and disruptive when he was the DC already had flaws but now Blake baker has made the defense soft and even more exploitable. Diaz needs to step in before the Clemson game asap. Again diaz is not perfect but it’s much better than what baker puts out there on a weekly basis
We recruit south Florida CB's because with their speed they specialize in press coverage, they come to the U and we have them bailing out ?

I’m just going to say it. Most of you cats don’t even know what you’re looking at. Most of your cats don’t know what you’re watching. So when people who know a little bit about football complain about the defense all you guys can do is talk about previous stats.

I mean we played the ****tiest schedule in the world last year and people are on here talking about defensive stats. This is the same DC who gave up 31 points to FIU. We produced no sacks that game. But you guys are still on here talking about stats.

When a lot of you were told that the right offensive coordinator would immediately make our line play better, you couldn’t see it.

Coaching matters! Take some time to learn the game.
Correct this is the DC that on a 3 and 19 at FIU 20 yard line : he lined us ten across the line of scrimmage and a simple hand off to the running up the middle netted FIU a first down : Also I can't figure this cat out, he we get a double digit lead an he goes to some sort of prevent / soft zones, doesn't he realize the clock stops at each first down . Then he is up by 20 points and he is sending two up the same gap, and has rb coming out of the backfield running free. That is why every time the team scrimmage the offense was taking the defense to the wood shed.

Advertisement
Back