I think we are going to be very good..

This is not a lool-aid take. We’re the seasoned team on offense. We have a Heisman quarterback. We have two projected first round picks in Zion and Mallory. Most likely, after this game, we’ll have three with Stevenson. Their defense is legit, but ours is no joke. If we can take it to their offense and cause turnovers and points on that side, we win. We’re winning. Enjoy that loser mentality, it’s what makes the winners salivate. We win. []_[]
I’m very happy that you are that confident and emphatic about our upcoming season. In all sincerity, I hope it plays out the way you envision. Honestly, I think we ball better than last year. However, after so many wet noodle-cold limp **** mid-season pull outs, I want to see a season well-put together. So far, I can’t utter the words “Take me,” but I’ll wait hopeful.

Advertisement
This is not a lool-aid take. We’re the seasoned team on offense. We have a Heisman quarterback. We have two projected first round picks in Zion and Mallory. Most likely, after this game, we’ll have three with Stevenson. Their defense is legit, but ours is no joke. If we can take it to their offense and cause turnovers and points on that side, we win. We’re winning. Enjoy that loser mentality, it’s what makes the winners salivate.

Big fan of your inside info, so take the rest FWIW, one person's opinion...

I am a believer in probability analysis. Reality is not binary, there are lots of possible outcomes. There is no doubt that if you ran a multivariate model that pitted us against Bama several million times using, we would win some of those games. They aren't invulnerable. Maybe we'd even win a sizeable minority. My gut tells me about 10-25% of the time, or roughly 1 in 5/6. Most people think I'm the one with O&G glasses when I say that.

But there is so much hyperbole in what you wrote. King is not a Heisman candidate. He's an MVP type kid for Miami, no doubt. I love his leadership and think he changed our program fundamentally for the better. But he's not at Lamar Jackson's level. Zion and Mallory have shown nothing of the talent everyone is talking about. Brad Kaaya was a projected first rounder, too, at one point. You're projecting but there's no evidence to back it up. Our defense is "no joke", I agree. But that doesn't make it capable of stopping that Bama OL. We lost our two best players at DE and have no evidence the guys behind them are ready to step up Game 1.

I can see us surprising Bama by staying close then having a couple momentum plays get us a W late in the fourth. I can also see us getting beaten by 4 touchdowns because they exploit weaknesses in Manny's defense. There's a reason we're 2.5 TD underdogs.

We'll know really quickly which outcome is most likely. Just watch how our OL performs when we need a first down, and our DL performs when we need to stop them from getting a first down. If they can move us 2-3 yards at will, we're in real trouble. If you're right and we can go punch for punch physically across the line, we have a shot. ... Oh, and our linebackers actually need to be able to outrun the 330' guards who are trying to block them out of outside zone plays, or swim through them in inside power plays.

Here's my one note of caution. We'll really know if we've turned the corner if we can a) run consistently and b) stop the run. With so few running plays today and only 2 scholarship RBs getting carries it was impossible to tell if we've really made strides there. But we have some athletes on defense now we've coveted for a long time.
I don't trust the OC.. we all know his play book and he plays timid in big games. Just take your money and buy crypto if you wanna be speculative 😬🤣🤣

I am a believer in probability analysis. Reality is not binary, there are lots of possible outcomes. There is no doubt that if you ran a multivariate model that pitted us against Bama several million times using, we would win some of those games. They aren't invulnerable. Maybe we'd even win a sizeable minority. My gut tells me about 10-25% of the time, or roughly 1 in 5/6. Most people think I'm the one with O&G glasses when I say that.

But there is so much hyperbole in what you wrote. King is not a Heisman candidate. He's an MVP type kid for Miami, no doubt. I love his leadership and think he changed our program fundamentally for the better. But he's not at Lamar Jackson's level. Zion and Mallory have shown nothing of the talent everyone is talking about. Brad Kaaya was a projected first rounder, too, at one point. You're projecting but there's no evidence to back it up. Our defense is "no joke", I agree. But that doesn't make it capable of stopping that Bama OL. We lost our two best players at DE and have no evidence the guys behind them are ready to step up Game 1.

I can see us surprising Bama by staying close then having a couple momentum plays get us a W late in the fourth. I can also see us getting beaten by 4 touchdowns because they exploit weaknesses in Manny's defense. There's a reason we're 2.5 TD underdogs.

We'll know really quickly which outcome is most likely. Just watch how our OL performs when we need a first down, and our DL performs when we need to stop them from getting a first down. If they can move us 2-3 yards at will, we're in real trouble. If you're right and we can go punch for punch physically across the line, we have a shot. ... Oh, and our linebackers actually need to be able to outrun the 330' guards who are trying to block them out of outside zone plays, or swim through them in inside power plays.
I think that’s a very fair and reasonable analysis on your part. It usually comes down to the big uglies. I think we match up well in our O skill and secondary. Interior OL and a disciplined DL will be a big factor for us.

Concern for me still lies in the preparation

I am a fan of Lashlee and think Manny is a solid DC but the times we’ve been tested with good coaches we’ve been simply overmatched. Bama having maybe the most elite coaching staff money can buy and that’s what I am watching most. Are we doing anything that they aren’t predicting or forcing us to do like we are their puppets?

If we continue to grow as a coaching staff then maybe we can have some different conversations

just my 2 cents I suppose
Concern for me still lies in the administration, but that’s another story

Advertisement
Manny Diaz is an above average to very good DC. It cannot be disputed.

That being said, as a head coach, this is it for him. It’s make or break, 100%. Any decent head coach, with this roster, Lashlee as your OC and Manny as your DC, wins 9-10 games in their sleep. So, if he doesn’t, something is amiss in his HC ****nal, and he’s gotta go.

And I’ll tell you every day of the week that a HC as an actual football coach is overrated as fvck. The job of the HC is to build the roster and hire the coaches. Y’all think UNC is better cause of Mack Brown the football coach? He’s a corpse. But he got good players, and hired good coaches. Still, even with saying that, if Manny the HC can’t win with this staff and roster, something is missing and he has to go. Because this has the potential to be a legitimate top 10-15 team.

I think at some point during Garcia’s tenure as starting QB that UM will make the playoff. Diaz did a pretty god job last season. The players looked to be in really good shape. I think I’m impartial enough to make the observation. There were several players who looked bigger last year than I recall since around the 2003 season.

Manny Diaz is an above average to very good DC. It cannot be disputed.

That's a wide range. Above average, yes. "Very good" can be disputed. And being both HC and DC seems like a heavy lift even with all the additional help he's getting. Wish he had landed Muschamp or whomever it was he was supposedly targeting that got away.

I know it was just a spring game. Having said that, we got a lot of dudes. I really like our o line. Getting a some what in shape Donaldson is priceless. I hope he continues to work and stay healthy.

Our WR's will be much better this year. Harley is an NFL WR. Restripo and Smith must play and they will. Rambo was a huge get and he will put up numbers in this offense. We have 4 legit talented receivers. Pope and Wiggins have been passed up by a mile. Those two should only play in garbage time.

We will not have a problem scoring points. RB room is set. TE is set. If King is moving along like we all think he is we will be fine.

The defensive side of the ball is what really has me excited. First off, I love that Manny is back in charge. I think he is one of the best DC's in all of college football.

We have size, we have speed. Stevenson looks like a freak. Williams is so much bigger than I thought he was. Still waiting on G. Hall to do his thing but it is obvious that he has all the tools. Add Bolden and Couch to the mix, we should not have any problems in our secondary.

Our LB's look much better than last year. We actually have guys that can run and make plays.

DL is the strength along with our secondary. Ford is so big and he looked good. I look for him to have a big year and get drafted higher than people think. I think I like our ends but, it's impossible to evaluate them right now. Either you get pressure on game day or you dont. We will see.

We are all good on kicking game.

I will be taking Miami on the money line on September 4th.
I want your enthusiasm to be well placed.

Let's revist your OL thoughts after Bama.

Advertisement
Great to hear so many positive comments after the Spring Game. This should be a very good season (regardless of the outcome of the Alabama game).

We have a shot at beating Alabama if:

1) They try to maul us with their OL & physical RB and our LBs can simply shed blocks consistently & make tackles. Stopping their run game (and avoiding a repeat of last season's UNC game) is by far the biggest priority. Are our current crop of LBs capable of doing that?

2) We cut way, way down on penalties. We will lose big if we don't play super-disciplined. Don't hand first downs to an uber-talented team. Don't let them sustain drives (for example, if their young QB is struggling) by being undisciplined. Play smart & play disciplined or don't bother showing up because you'll just hand them the game

3) We get Chaney rolling & make him the FEATURE BACK.

4) Lashlee calls a great game and these guys are featured: Mallory, Harley, Rambo, Smith & Restrepo (with a few balls thrown to Chaney & Knighton as well).

5) We don't waste one single down throwing the ball to any player that is inconsistent. Not a single down.

6) We don't continue to run Cam between the tackles...and into a brick wall (over & over). Let's get the ball to our best athletes....in space & let them do their thing.

7) We get a couple of electric returns on special teams.

Go Canes!

I think I just got smarter after reading this.

Advertisement
Great to hear so many positive comments after the Spring Game. This should be a very good season (regardless of the outcome of the Alabama game).

We have a shot at beating Alabama if:

1) Our LBs can simply shed blocks consistently & make tackles.

Go Canes!
What LBs??????????

Advertisement
That's a wide range. Above average, yes. "Very good" can be disputed. And being both HC and DC seems like a heavy lift even with all the additional help he's getting. Wish he had landed Muschamp or whomever it was he was supposedly targeting that got away.

No, it can’t. It’s been proven analytically many times on this site.

But let’s just put it this way. If Miami flops this year and Manny is fired, he will be unemployed for about 0.7 seconds. He will be a DC at a P5 program absolutely instantly. They don’t give out those jobs for fun. As usual, Hurricane players & coaches are thought more highly of nationally than they are in their own fanbase.

The 2nd part of your post is totally valid. We’ll see if he can handle it.

I know it was just a spring game. Having said that, we got a lot of dudes. I really like our o line. Getting a some what in shape Donaldson is priceless. I hope he continues to work and stay healthy.

Our WR's will be much better this year. Harley is an NFL WR. Restripo and Smith must play and they will. Rambo was a huge get and he will put up numbers in this offense. We have 4 legit talented receivers. Pope and Wiggins have been passed up by a mile. Those two should only play in garbage time.

We will not have a problem scoring points. RB room is set. TE is set. If King is moving along like we all think he is we will be fine.

The defensive side of the ball is what really has me excited. First off, I love that Manny is back in charge. I think he is one of the best DC's in all of college football.

We have size, we have speed. Stevenson looks like a freak. Williams is so much bigger than I thought he was. Still waiting on G. Hall to do his thing but it is obvious that he has all the tools. Add Bolden and Couch to the mix, we should not have any problems in our secondary.

Our LB's look much better than last year. We actually have guys that can run and make plays.

DL is the strength along with our secondary. Ford is so big and he looked good. I look for him to have a big year and get drafted higher than people think. I think I like our ends but, it's impossible to evaluate them right now. Either you get pressure on game day or you dont. We will see.

We are all good on kicking game.

I will be taking Miami on the money line on September 4th.
To me, this entire season comes down to one thing. The Offensive Line! D$ posted about the combined starts that the OL returns this year. The addition of the kid from UNLV gives us an insane 186 combined starts returning. That may be the most this century and all that collective experience should most certainly be a huge factor in what many believe will be a huge leap in performance and productivity for our OL.

I fully expect Zion Nelson to take the next step in his development and I believe it will be a big one. DJ Scaife at RT is an upgrade over Jarrid Williams particularly in the running game where Williams was a liability. The most drastic improvement however could be on the inside at both Guard spots. A healthy and experienced Navaughn Donaldson is an NFL caliber road grader at RG as showed in his return late last year. With another off season under his belt I expect Donaldson to be an All ACC type player. Ironically the piece that could potentially take this experienced group to another level is the relatively inexperienced Jalen Rivers at LG. River's functional strength and agility at guard would be a clear upgrade over the still developing Jakai Clark and make this line formidable in the run game. My only true concern is at center with Cory Gaynor. Gaynor is a smart player who plays hard but lacks the physical tools and fundamental strength to hold up vs the better talent we face. He gets rag dolled much too often for my liking but he is very experienced and Im hoping that somehow he is able to make his Senior year his best. We don't need Gaynor to win the Outland Trophy. We just need him to be solid or a bit better than serviceable.

The other thing this line has that it has not had in years is quality experienced depth. Jakai Clark, John Campbell, Jarrid Williams, Justice Oluwaseun and Cleveland Reed make up that depth. We need to keep recruiting high end talent here if we truly want to belong in the elite tier.

This season's OL performance will speak volumes about coach Justice. I want to see that big leap this year but I'm not going to hold my breath. Been burned way too many times especially with this unit.

Advertisement
Back