I like this class

hopefully Golden can twist an arm or two and get Johnson into school without an online course

it sounds like he would come here if it weren't for that

then get a guy like Derricott at linebacker

I disagree. If he really wants to go to UM then he'd take the on-line course.

Golden cannot waive course requirements. Its far more plausible that the course is a convenient excuse to avoid disappointing those family members who (allegedly) want him to choose UM.

Advertisement
From all accounts he's a great route runner and is physically ready to play this year. What more can you want?

Brady and Langham both are redshirt candidates according to Pete and Gray may not qualify.

Berrios will be good for us in the slot ala Pimp Collier.

Honestly, I'm not worried about impact guys for offense next year. They're not necessities but they'd be nice to have and you never turn down studs. My biggest issue is with our front 7. DT, LB and safety are all causes for concern.

I keep hearing that Dixon is a guy who looks great in shorts but not so great in pads. I know he made some plays late in the year, and I'm not discounting his talent (would love to have him in this class), but I'm not sure he counts as an instant impact guy. Coley is an instant impact guy, Sammy Watkins is instant impact, Lane was supposed to be this year's instant impact guy and I have my doubts about him too.

Why are you focusing on one part of my argument? What about the rest of it: DT, LB or safety? I've already said that WR isn't a necessity and accenting it because you can is nice, but not needed.

I already talked about those things - we need a safety and are targeting JC Jackson (corner or safety), Kiy Hester (safety), Gayot (safety), and Neal (safety), we need a JUCO LB and are targeting Derricott (not sure who else), and we need a JUCO dlineman or two and I know I've read a bunch of guys say they are visiting, but don't have a list off the top of my head

valid went position by position, not you

I'm keeping it real and people can't seem to handle it. I'm not down with the orange and green glasses, rah rah stuff anymore. Nothing wrong with being objective and having an opinion as long as you're not being an ******* about it (I'm not).

Valid, agree 100%. But before you nail Als a$$ to the wall, lets give him until Spring ball to see if he can find us some DTs.

If Golden has to live by the waiver wire again for DTs then thats a big problem. Can't keep doing that.

Advertisement
Valid, agree 100%. But before you nail Als a$$ to the wall, lets give him until Spring ball to see if he can find us some DTs.

If Golden has to live by the waiver wire again for DTs then thats a big problem. Can't keep doing that.
Like I mentioned in one of my posts. If there's a DT that we're unearthing this late in the game, he's probably available for a reason.

King, Ivery, Briscoe, Darius Smith, Derosier all lightly-recruited and low-talented players that were JAGS or flamed out. You don't find quality DTs this late in the game. They're too valuable and sought-after to be gems.

Agreed. But **** what other options are there if we dont bring any DTs in? Throwing Earl Moore and Corey King out there at NT?

Agreed. But **** what other options are there if we dont bring any DTs in? Throwing Earl Moore and Corey King out there at NT?

I'm not saying to do nothing, I'm saying don't expect huge upgrades either. They'll play out of need, but won't be very talented.

We've already missed out on all of our top targets it seems like. Clinkscales, Johson, Pelon,Boateng, Heurtelou, Stuckey...

With that said, at this point, DT recruiting is a failure. I don't expect us to get some awesome DT now to go along with Wyche. Judging from the recent past, that's not gonna happen.

we are bringing in 30 guys in this class and according to valid, we still have glaring holes at every position.
one of the worst around.

Advertisement

I'm not saying to do nothing, I'm saying don't expect huge upgrades either. They'll play out of need, but won't be very talented.

We've already missed out on all of our top targets it seems like. Clinkscales, Johson, Pelon,Boateng, Heurtelou, Stuckey...

With that said, at this point, DT recruiting is a failure. I don't expect us to get some awesome DT now to go along with Wyche. Judging from the recent past, that's not gonna happen.

I wouldn't call 2014 DT recruiting a failure. Valentine, Jenkins, Moten is a great FR haul.

I can get on board with our past DT recruiting being a failure though.

I don’t think this class is great for 2014. I looked at this class coming in as filling a few holes to get us over the edge in 2014. So far, we haven’t done that and my biggest issues are on defense.

I've been saying for some time that we need 3 JuCo DL: 2 JuCo DTs and a JuCo DE if we're **** bent on playing this 3-4. We have Wyche (for now) and that's it. What will we have behind him next season? Pierre (decent, but regressed) and Earl Moore (unproven). It would have helped immensly to have a guy like Cory Johnson, or Clinkscales or Heurtelou to go with Wyche and Pierre at DT. Valentine should not be relied upon as a true freshman DT no matter how talented he is. That’s a grown man position.

At LB, Kirby wasn't able to supplant Gaines which is worrisome, Perryman is most likely leaving and we're left with Figs, Thurston and what'll be an undersized Grace in a 3-4. Blue hasn't done anything yet and we'll be relying on a couple true freshman LBs to make impacts for us next season. Hopefully we close on a JuCo LB to help with our LB depth issues.

Also at safety, we only have 3 on scholarship right now. We need to bring one in. We can move Burns to safety if need-be, but I'd prefer to let him grow into a more athletic Antrel Rolle.

Also, if we want to win next year (and beat ****ing Duke) we need impact guys like a Dixon or Cook or JC Jackson who can impact a game as a true freshman but aren't relied upon. You accent your talent with true freshmen, you don’t lean on them week in and week out.

I liked the way we used AQM this year, but it looks like we’ll be relying heavily on Young and Owens and we’ll have an extremely thin and questionable rotation at DT (right now). Safety looks good with our starting two, but Carter didn’t do anything there this year and there isn’t anything behind them. This class won’t help us take the next step in 2014 which is my biggest issue. It’s loaded for the future, but what about next year?

I like this post, still happy with what we have so far. However, these are very valid!

Advertisement

Get innovative.....
Go to a 4-3, for the time being. Move Jelani and maybe Chick inside. Not ideal, but I think its better than running that 3-4 and having King/Moore at the important Nt position. In a 4-3 DT would be Pierre, Wyche, Moore, Jelani, and maybe Chick, then King plus Valentine and Moten coming in for a couple snaps a game. Awful but better than Wyche, Moore, King at NT and relying on a true freshman like Valentine to take major snaps. You wait til Valentine is ready and continue recruiting the position the following year and when the horses are there than switch.

I wouldn't call 2014 DT recruiting a failure. Valentine, Jenkins, Moten is a great FR haul.

I can get on board with our past DT recruiting being a failure though.

I should've phrased that better. I love that haul at DT. However, if we're talking about 2014, DT recruiting is a failure. Those guys can't, or shouldn't be asked to do any heavy lifting as true freshmen, even Valentine. He'll be a 18 or 19 yr/old fresh out of high school going against a player who's had 2-3 years of college nutrition and strength training.

You don't win playing true freshmen on the DL. Especially at DT where we ask our DTs to do the most physically.

Advertisement
hopefully Golden can twist an arm or two and get Johnson into school without an online course

it sounds like he would come here if it weren't for that

then get a guy like Derricott at linebacker

I disagree. If he really wants to go to UM then he'd take the on-line course.

Golden cannot waive course requirements. Its far more plausible that the course is a convenient excuse to avoid disappointing those family members who (allegedly) want him to choose UM.

that's great and all, but who the **** is gonna play defensive tackle?

This a good class not elite. Fsu could close out with cook, lane, rudolph, humphrey and lsu with fournette, dupree, noil, willis, mcdowell, young, trying to steal valentine etc, bama and auburn still have big targets left.

We need cook. I think gus can be solid at best. Powell is a 170 pound rb and most of yall said duke can't handle the carries at 196( and i think it's ****).

Brady and langham are raw. Herndon and lockley at te isn't elite.

Cb is bad. Bethel is solid but mayes and turner? They should get the cb from central instead.

Lb in the 3-4 looks good. Thomas, owens, jackson, young, harris, smith. Thomas i think can be instant impact. Mccray is slow not explosive and it will be worse when he adds weight.

Dline needs more. Only have valentine, moten, wyche. DTs for some reason despite the need don't seem to want to come to miami.

Get innovative.....
Go to a 4-3, for the time being. Move Jelani and maybe Chick inside. Not ideal, but I think its better than running that 3-4 and having King/Moore at the important Nt position. In a 4-3 DT would be Pierre, Wyche, Moore, Jelani, and maybe Chick, then King plus Valentine and Moten coming in for a couple snaps a game. Awful but better than Wyche, Moore, King at NT and relying on a true freshman like Valentine to take major snaps. You wait til Valentine is ready and continue recruiting the position the following year and when the horses are there than switch.

Could do something like this. Maybe switch Kamalu and Hamilton.

DE: Chick/Kamalu/Thomas
DT: Pierre/Hamilton/King/Moten
DT: Wyche/Moore/Valentine/Jenkins
DE: AQM/McCord

I just think the fact of the matter is that we shouldnt have gotten our hopes up about these JUCOs in the first place. Now everyone is in disarray. Whos to say these guys would be studs anyway? What did Lavon Hooks do last year? (Nothing) I agree anything else out there will be the scraps but **** this is where Al can prove himself as a developer of talent. Get SOMETHING out of whatever we have. (talking to you Earl Moore)

Advertisement
Back