I like this class

japancane

Senior
I like this class a lot, but it needs to be said, there are some pretty big holes. I had the same worry with some of Randy's big classes.

While its great that we have a highly ranked class, a large reason why its so highly ranked is because of the sheer volume.

Need to close out with some JUCO LB/DT if there's any left and a safety or 2

Advertisement
Yo Dan, you seem somewhat knowledgable..What other DTs are we looking at from what you know? Seems like the cupboard is getting bare here. And depending on MWyche to be the starting NT next year is a no go in my eyes..

also, this argument of us unearthing diamonds in the rough is very flawed, because A, most of them were unearthed by previous regimes and B, most of the big diamonds in the rough were recruited more than 10 or 15 years ago

I would be interested to see if the staff takes another look at lance Mcdowdell a 300 DT at Nassua cc. he is a former highschool basketball player that has plyed both strongside end and dt. We offered early but I havent heard much...

Advertisement
also, this argument of us unearthing diamonds in the rough is very flawed, because A, most of them were unearthed by previous regimes and B, most of the big diamonds in the rough were recruited more than 10 or 15 years ago

ooookkkkkk..

244.jpg

Agreed. Areas still in need of plugging are up the middle of defense - tackle, insider backer, safety. Would love to see a juco ready-play LB and DT.

ooookkkkkk..

244.jpg
clearly not what I meant.

People love pointing to Sean Taylor (RIP) as an example of a diamond in the rough we recruited. Taylor finished his HS career 12 years ago. Now, a player like ST would've have been seen as a sophomore, played 7-7, been to numerous camps and been a 5star recruit when he was a junior

I would be interested to see if the staff takes another look at lance Mcdowdell a 300 DT at Nassua cc. he is a former highschool basketball player that has plyed both strongside end and dt. We offered early but I havent heard much...

I agree he's a must pursue now imo

Advertisement
Yo Dan, you seem somewhat knowledgable..What other DTs are we looking at from what you know? Seems like the cupboard is getting bare here. And depending on MWyche to be the starting NT next year is a no go in my eyes..
I don't know ****, and I'm not the slightest bit knowledgeable. I just don't think this class is the greatest thing ever like some people do.

I don't know ****, and I'm not the slightest bit knowledgeable. I just don't think this class is the greatest thing ever like some people do.

Not for the 2014 team, but this class is certainly setting up 2015 beyond to be where they need to be talent wise.

They do need a safety or two, and it looks like they have some targets there.

I don't know why we can't seem to get more than one JUCO lineman into school in any given year, but hopefully we pull something out of our ***. Same goes for linebacker.

Get those 3 and another running back and the class will be exactly what we need.

Where are the pretty big holes?

QB? Kaaya, Rosier
RB? Yearby, Powell, Gray
TE? Lockley, Herndon
WR? Berrios, Brady, Langham,
OL: Mcdermott, Linder, Gibbons, Darling
DL: Thomas, Harris, Jackson, Jenkins, Wyche, Valentine Moten
LB: Young, Owens, McCray, Smith
DB: Bethel, Mayes, Turner (more then likely gone, but yea)

I say DB still needs to be worked on, especially safety. But this fallacy all of a sudden the only reason the class is rated high is because of the number of players is bull****. It is balanced with ELITE kids all around. Nothing like Shannon.

Lol! Fair enough, Dan. That wasnt a setup btw. And yes, I agree, if we dont bring any JUCO DTs in this class cant be perfect. Back to the waiver wire..

Advertisement
Problem2, dont waste time trying to make these cats see the light. Let them go ahead and think this class is the worst of all time and all the recruiting sites just really like Als tie thats why they have us in the top 5. Is it perfect? No. We need a "ready to play now" DT and we need JC Jackson. But this is a **** good class.

QB? Kaaya, Rosier
RB? Yearby, Powell, Gray
TE? Lockley, Herndon

I say DB still needs to be worked on, especially safety. But this fallacy all of a sudden the only reason the class is rated high is because of the number of players is bull****. It is balanced with ELITE kids all around. Nothing like Shannon.

Safety
Running back
Immediate Defensive help for 2014

I don’t think this class is great for 2014. I looked at this class coming in as filling a few holes to get us over the edge in 2014. So far, we haven’t done that and my biggest issues are on defense.

I've been saying for some time that we need 3 JuCo DL: 2 JuCo DTs and a JuCo DE if we're **** bent on playing this 3-4. We have Wyche (for now) and that's it. What will we have behind him next season? Pierre (decent, but regressed) and Earl Moore (unproven). It would have helped immensly to have a guy like Cory Johnson, or Clinkscales or Heurtelou to go with Wyche and Pierre at DT. Valentine should not be relied upon as a true freshman DT no matter how talented he is. That’s a grown man position.

At LB, Kirby wasn't able to supplant Gaines which is worrisome, Perryman is most likely leaving and we're left with Figs, Thurston and what'll be an undersized Grace in a 3-4. Blue hasn't done anything yet and we'll be relying on a couple true freshman LBs to make impacts for us next season. Hopefully we close on a JuCo LB to help with our LB depth issues.

Also at safety, we only have 3 on scholarship right now. We need to bring one in. We can move Burns to safety if need-be, but I'd prefer to let him grow into a more athletic Antrel Rolle.

Also, if we want to win next year (and beat ******* Duke) we need impact guys like a Dixon or Cook or JC Jackson who can impact a game as a true freshman but aren't relied upon. You accent your talent with true freshmen, you don’t lean on them week in and week out.

I liked the way we used AQM this year, but it looks like we’ll be relying heavily on Young and Owens and we’ll have an extremely thin and questionable rotation at DT (right now). Safety looks good with our starting two, but Carter didn’t do anything there this year and there isn’t anything behind them. This class won’t help us take the next step in 2014 which is my biggest issue. It’s loaded for the future, but what about next year?

Advertisement

QB? Kaaya, Rosier
RB? Yearby, Powell, Gray
TE? Lockley, Herndon

i rank this cless becuase of this you bring this in every year we can take any skills players and they will be ballers

I don't want to jack ***'s thread, since I don't know if he shares my view on this. But I think there's a hole at safety with just 3 scholarship players returning. It's a big need. I felt we needed 2 to 3 juco interior lineman to replace Renfrow, Porter, and Robinson. If the guys behind them couldn't beat them out, how good can they be? Otherwise we're playing with true freshman...again...and the cycle of being forever young continues.

Last edited:

Where is Paranos when you need him?

Advertisement
Back