I don't think this is going to end well for President Frenk...

Yes. And he had a graduation throne built for him, as he presides over graduation ceremonies.

But you get the big picture. Whatever he was supposed to do for the Med School over the past 6 years has not happened. And now he is slapping down the Law School dean for his 2-year tenure, 75 percent of which happened during Covid.

So, yeah, I think Julio is the LAST person who should be judging the accomplishments of others.

Julio's custom-built graduation throne (right side of picture):
View attachment 147609

Another view:
View attachment 147610

Bro; OMFG!

Wow! Smh. U’re right though; the irony of him criticizing someone’s performance as a Dean over a dept is really rich, looking at his failures.

Advertisement
So, let's see...retains ineffective Athletic Director who is a terrible fund-raiser...overstays his own 5-year contract as UM president...but fires law school Dean 2 years into his 5-year contract for not being a great fund-raiser during an 18-month period impacted by COVID...

Makes sense...

https://www.law.com/nationallawjour...8scolEnEAfg1L1R41Ep-0&slreturn=20210508114333

Dude was a Uranus Goober-Smoocher?

Probably had a brown card, but no green card.

Correct. For years, Stetson had a near-perfect FL bar passage rate. It was because the curriculum was geared so heavily to Florida laws. Nobody gives a ****e, nor do they even really track, the Stetson bar passage rates for the other 49 states.

There has long been terminology that describes certain law schools as "national" law schools, of which Miami is one (and the best one in the state of Florida). Again, without going into detail, there are differences. There are reasons. There are explanations.

I was on UM Law Review and Moot Court Board. For decades, many of Miami's best law school grads have gone on to practice in many other states besides Florida. We certainly don't get credit when THOSE grads pass OTHER state bar exams.

I could go on, but those are three of the most basic reasons that contribute to UM's "low" Florida bar passage rate (actually, not a truly "low" rate, just lower than UF, F$U, and Stetson).
A close friend of mine (The late Ron Fraser's daughter) is a Stetson Grad...and she absolutely Loved it...

Like, he was running to Bring Julio his morning Java, and tripped an spilled burning Hot Java onto Julio's crotch....err....Puzzy..
Coffee Reaction GIF

I stand corrected on the underlying subject, but the point remains the same. He was the dean of a school at a major university with a very well regarded academic reputation. The same as Frenk. He was and is more than qualified to run this school.
Yes, you're absolutely right. It's a great school (Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy) but it's not a law school. Despite its name, it is a liberal arts school (international affairs), and a very highly regarded one. As far as Stavridis, I happen to be a big fan. A huge fan. When I'm up early enough, I sometimes hear his commentary on Hugh Hewitt's radio show. The guy is smart, lucid and has a wonderful understanding of international affairs and national security policy.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a law school, much less a quality law school, that employs as its head a person who is not a trained lawyer. It is a see a special discipline and he would find it very difficult to understand and know about a lot of the substance of legal education. While one might be a good administrator and fundraiser, I don't see how a person who is not a lawyer can do the entire job of running a law school. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Stavridis went to law school. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stavridis might be more qualified for a university presidency, where he can be more of a generalist.

Advertisement
Yes, you're absolutely right. It's a great school (Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy) but it's not a law school. Despite its name, it is a liberal arts school (international affairs), and a very highly regarded one. As far as Stavridis, I happen to be a big fan. A huge fan. When I'm up early enough, I sometimes hear his commentary on Hugh Hewitt's radio show. The guy is smart, lucid and has a wonderful understanding of international affairs and national security policy.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a law school, much less a quality law school, that employs as its head a person who is not a trained lawyer. It is a see a special discipline and he would find it very difficult to understand and know about a lot of the substance of legal education. While one might be a good administrator and fundraiser, I don't see how a person who is not a lawyer can do the entire job of running a law school. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Stavridis went to law school. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stavridis might be more qualified for a university presidency, where he can be more of a generalist.

Completely correct. I would also point out, Stavridis has a PhD (not a JD), so he IS considered an "academic".

I was certainly not trying to buff his resume by making the reference to Law School. I was simply pointing out that a Law School Dean (and, indeed, also a School of Law & Diplomacy Dean) are not leaders of "heavy heavy" academic schools, like a Med School Dean is. At the same time, I was pointing out that Tad Foote secured a MASSIVE amount of research money for UM, even though his background was "only" as a Law School Dean (not a lot of "research money" in a law school).

I don't know if the ship has sailed with Stavridis (no pun intended), but I certainly hope we don't chase our next president based solely on some particular academic credential. We need a LEADER.

So, let's see...retains ineffective Athletic Director who is a terrible fund-raiser...overstays his own 5-year contract as UM president...but fires law school Dean 2 years into his 5-year contract for not being a great fund-raiser during an 18-month period impacted by COVID...

Makes sense...

https://www.law.com/nationallawjour...8scolEnEAfg1L1R41Ep-0&slreturn=20210508114333
Fund raising is the name of the game today. Hard to see however why it took Frenk 2 years to figure out the law dean couldn't raise funds. That should have been evident during his first year on the job (if he knew squat about fund raising). If the dean had no prior record of successful fund raising, why was he given the job?

It makes sense what you are saying. Truthfully, the deans at UM Law were so underwhelming when I was there I didn’t really think much of their background. At this point, the school needs to watch the Seinfeld episode where Costanza does the opposite of his inclinations and good things follow. Id the BoT is thinking tuna on white, go chicken salad on wheat.

Advertisement
UM Law School has been in a downward decline for years. The perception in some parts of the legal community is that the slow decline has accelerated. The law school administration’s focus has been to be woke rather than good. I agree with Dr. Frenkenstein’s recent action.

Another thang, the bar exam pass rate at UM is embarrassing. The bar exam should be easily passed by any recent law school grad.

I disagree with your assessment on the exam being easily passed by any law school grad. Most law students take a paid bar prep course, or even multiple bar prep courses, to prepare for the exam. I can honestly count on one hand the number of law school classmates who took the bar exam without taking some kind of paid prep course. That's another 3-4k on top of the law school tuition. Unfortunately, not every law student has 3-4k stashed under the mattress so they have to prep with whatever free materials they can get from the law school library (good luck with that) . Anecdotally I heard that the bar passage rate for people who don't take a paid bar prep course is about 50%. Don't know if that is true or not. Doesn't matter what law school you go to, if you try and take the bar exam based purely on what you learned in law school and free materials, and without taking a paid bar prep course, I would not say that I expect you to easily pass the bar exam. If you managed to do that, then good on you but I wouldn't place that expectation on everyone else.

Last edited:

Makes sense...

In 2019, I was at a watch party for donors with President Frenks and let’s just say he did not seem interested at all about the Football game going on (Miami vs. FSU). I don’t think I saw him watch the game once.

I disagree with your assessment on the exam being easily passed by any law school grad. Most law students take a paid bar prep course, or even multiple bar prep courses, to prepare for the exam. I can honestly count on one hand the number of law school classmates who took the bar exam without taking some kind of paid prep course. That's another 3-4k on top of the law school tuition. Unfortunately, not every law student has 3-4k stashed under the mattress so they have to prep with whatever free materials they can get from the law school library (good luck with that) . Doesn't matter what law school you go to, if you try and take the bar exam based purely on what you learned in law school and free materials, and without taking a paid bar prep course, I would not say that I expect you to easily pass the bar exam. If you managed to do that, then good on you but I wouldnt place that expectation on everyone else.

Which is exactly why 3 years of Stetson pumping "Florida law" courses into students' heads can lead to a higher bar passage rate than 3 years of Miami teaching "national" and "black letter law" concepts.

In my third year, I was on one of UM's two "national mock trial" teams (the ABA competition). When we got to the regionals, both of our teams pulled a 2-and-barbecue. We spoke to one of Stetson's teams, they said they had actually tried the case OVER FORTY TIMES during their practices. They were ******* robots. They looked like a synchronized swimming team when they were introducing exhibits into evidence. But they also couldn't think on their feet very well (we were much better on evidentiary objections) and they did not have very strong openings/closings. I'm sure those Stetson drones will make great assistant district attorneys and public defenders.

In 2019, I was at a watch party for donors with President Frenks and let’s just say he did not seem interested at all about the Football game going on (Miami vs. FSU). I don’t think I saw him watch the game once.

Yeah, that tracks with EVERYTHING I've heard about him. He just doesn't give a **** about Athletics. But some of our denser porsters want to crown him because the IPF was completed during his tenure.

He loves the attention, he enjoys it when people praise him, but he seriously does not care at all about the long-term viability of athletics. It would be funny to give him a sports pop quiz. I guarantee you he would miss every question.

Advertisement

Makes sense...

there's obviously more to this and it's possible Frenk was asked to do this by someone at a higher level than his office. He's been relatively non-existent on all things outside his area of expertise and suddenly he makes this aggressive decision? Completely uncharacteristic of his tenure.

Agreed.

I’m 100% sure it wasn’t because he was ***, which is well known, and Frenk is a total social justice warrior. It could be something that we don’t know about that happened behind the scenes, and it could be very well justified.

I just don’t think the premise of promoting the idea that he was fired because he was *** is a good idea, it’s not a good look for the University and I don’t think it’s anywhere near the truth.
provocative burden-shifting accusation to make the University show their hand.

there's obviously more to this and chances are Frenk was asked to do this by someone at a higher level than his office. He's been relatively non-existent on all things outside his area of expertise and all the sudden he makes this aggressive decision? Completely uncharacteristic of his tenure.

Highly likely, his wife. Not a joke. Ask around.

Advertisement
Can you please move this to the WGAF board?

I guess if he had a TurboTax attorney representing him he would have been O-K.

Do people really go to law school to be tax attorneys? Seems like you could accomplish the same thing as a Walmart cashier.

The U is too far left for a *** issue firing. Perhaps the new incoming dean has a massive donor in his pocket.

H
He was too busy looking at Male Donors ***'s....

Advertisement
Back