I don't think this is going to end well for President Frenk...

Perhaps it was mutual. A big part of being a college dean is fund raising and a lot of academics hate it.

Agreed.

I’m 100% sure it wasn’t because he was ***, which is well known, and Frenk is a total social justice warrior. It could be something that we don’t know about that happened behind the scenes, and it could be very well justified.

I just don’t think the premise of promoting the idea that he was fired because he was *** is a good idea, it’s not a good look for the University and I don’t think it’s anywhere near the truth.

Advertisement
There is grasping at straws and then there is claiming that the University of Miami fired someone in the school administration for being ***. If anything, his orientation boosted his chances of landing the job (sends all the right virtue signals) and getting a healthy paycheck. This isn't to say he didn't deserve the job in the first place, but there are always good candidates with impeccable credentials and you have to find something to separate them.

What is odd though is the school removing someone for underperforming. If I was Varona's lawyer, I'd point out the performance of the football, baseball, basketball programs and then school plummeting in the rankings in nearly all academic aspects (tied with FSU!) and ask, "So why start caring now?"

That's a bold strategy...

Advertisement
It's hard to summarize, because so little ACTUAL TRUTH has been given.

It happened quickly, with no advance warning, and many have complained about the lack of transparency.

I would also add that UM Law has struggled with fund-raising in prior years, and we survived. It took longer than it should have taken to get improvements/renovations for the Law Library.

I think a couple of people have pointed out some simple things. It doesn't seem like "being ***" should be an issue, as it was a known issue. He is being retained to teach, so it doesn't seem like it would be anything related to "morals" (i.e., affair with a student, sexual harrassment, or any other current day issue which usually leads to termination). The letter from Frenk mentions fund-raising, but (a) Varona has been Dean for 2 years, and over half of that time was impacted by COVID, and (b) there are still 4 years left in the fund-raising campaign, so why not hire an ace "Development" VP to help out?

Ultimately, the issue moves to Frenk, and his judgment, and the bad questions and bad publicity that this raises. Maybe Frenk is right, maybe Frenk is wrong, but if national publications are publishing stories related to the sexual orientation of Dean Varona (and whether you like the press or not, these questions can arise when there is very little transparency), then you have to imagine that this will not reflect well on Frenk.

It's time to make a change, and yes, this impacts our Athletics program too. LOTS of colleges/universities are struggling with the impact that COVID had on Athletics, and we need to find a leader who will resist the temptation to cut programs simply because revenue is down right now.
The law school has always had a ton of LGBTQ in its faculty, students, and like you said, it was known beforehand. I have a hard time believing it, like you said. Whatever it is, it read negatively and raises even more questions about Frenk and the board.

It is clear the bigger issue with regards to Frenk is another ****** key hire and a school whose reputation and perception is slipping. It is also absurd that he would get to make another key hire at this point.

Fundraising at a law school is always tricky. Unless you have a situation like a Morgan and Morgan with UF, you aren’t going to get a HUGE contribution. Even with Bass as head of GT, it’s not like that firm is going to donate millions of dollars. And it’s not like most attorneys find crazy money like a business school graduate. In fact, most UM law grads leave with healthy amounts of debt and making under $100k, though that isn’t the image UM wants to convey.

The law school has always had a ton of LGBTQ in its faculty, students, and like you said, it was known beforehand. I have a hard time believing it, like you said. Whatever it is, it read negatively and raises even more questions about Frenk and the board.

It is clear the bigger issue with regards to Frenk is another ****** key hire and a school whose reputation and perception is slipping. It is also absurd that he would get to make another key hire at this point.

Fundraising at a law school is always tricky. Unless you have a situation like a Morgan and Morgan with UF, you aren’t going to get a HUGE contribution. Even with Bass as head of GT, it’s not like that firm is going to donate millions of dollars. And it’s not like most attorneys find crazy money like a business school graduate. In fact, most UM law grads leave with healthy amounts of debt and making under $100k, though that isn’t the image UM wants to convey.
:100:

Blake James has at least one picture of everyone in the UM administration with a horse...
Well i guess if I was to venture off-species, I'd prob go with sheep...
Although...

There once was a man named Bruno
Said about ***, there's one thing I do know
Camels are fine
And sheep are divine
But llamas are numero uno...

Well i guess if I was to venture off-species, I'd prob go with sheep...
Although...

There once was a man named Bruno
Said about ***, there's one thing I do know
Camels are fine
And sheep are divine
But llamas are numero uno...
llama GIF

Advertisement
The guy from West Point? naw he has been a disaster at South Carolina.

edit- he is available

apologizes if you meant someone else

Advertisement
This is a bit of a head scratcher. Usually its a scapegoat situation, but Frenk really can't blame l our problems on the law school dean.

So, let's see...retains ineffective Athletic Director who is a terrible fund-raiser...overstays his own 5-year contract as UM president...but fires law school Dean 2 years into his 5-year contract for not being a great fund-raiser during an 18-month period impacted by COVID...

Makes sense...

https://www.law.com/nationallawjour...8scolEnEAfg1L1R41Ep-0&slreturn=20210508114333
Agreed...major fubar

Advertisement
Ben gotz the right dude.

Yes. I said it six years ago. I'm still saying it.

Because what you want in a leader for a major academic institution is someone who has extremely limited experience leading a major academic institution.

Frenk was brought in to bolster the med school. Med school rankings heavily impact US News rankings. I'm not a Frenk fan but calling for Stavridis is like saying The Rock should be AD, which most of you morons actually would go with.

Advertisement
Back