I don't think this is going to end well for President Frenk...

Because what you want in a leader for a major academic institution is someone who has extremely limited experience leading a major academic institution.

Frenk was brought in to bolster the med school. Med school rankings heavily impact US News rankings. I'm not a Frenk fan but calling for Stavridis is like saying The Rock should be AD, which most of you morons actually would go with.
Stop it. Frenk was the Dean of Faculty at Harvard, Stavridis was the Dean of Tufts' law school. Tulane's president was the Dean of Penn Law and has been doing wonders there. Please tell me what Frenk running the Ministry of Health in Mexico did to prepare him for his role at UM, absent helping the school navigate an unforeseeable pandemic.

Our medical school has been going downhill just like everything else under Frenk. And by the way, if you want to hold Shalala up as some med school hero... how did overpaying for UHealth go under Shalala, or their brilliant plan to pay for it by sending "desirable" patients there and keeping charity cases at Jackson, nearly bankrupting Jackson, or the medical school faculty walking out of Pascal Goldschmidt's state of the school address after she spent millions to lure him down from Duke. Your act can fool a lot of people on here, but I promise you it is not fooling me.

Advertisement
Stop it. Frenk was the Dean of Faculty at Harvard, Stavridis was the Dean of Tufts' law school. Tulane's president was the Dean of Penn Law and has been doing wonders there. Please tell me what Frenk running the Ministry of Health in Mexico did to prepare him for his role at UM, absent helping the school navigate an unforeseeable pandemic.

Our medical school has been going downhill just like everything else under Frenk. And by the way, if you want to hold Shalala up as some med school hero... how did overpaying for UHealth go under Shalala, or their brilliant plan to pay for it by sending "desirable" patients there and keeping charity cases at Jackson, nearly bankrupting Jackson, or the medical school faculty walking out of Pascal Goldschmidt's state of the school address after she spent millions to lure him down from Duke. Your act can fool a lot of people on here, but I promise you it is not fooling me.
UHealth is about to pay a huge settlement for health care fraud done under Shalala’s watch.
Both are awful.

This is disturbing because leadership is so much more critical with our athletic department than our law school. Oh no, sh*tty bar passage rates, kook professors tweeting politics, divisive Dean - guess what - UM kids still getting connected with good jobs and parents are still going top pay $150,000 so their kid goes to UM. I heard from a few people that this was one of the hardest years to get accepted to UM Law.

Advertisement
Because what you want in a leader for a major academic institution is someone who has extremely limited experience leading a major academic institution.

Frenk was brought in to bolster the med school. Med school rankings heavily impact US News rankings. I'm not a Frenk fan but calling for Stavridis is like saying The Rock should be AD, which most of you morons actually would go with.

Shut the fvck up, you rusty cvntbucket.

I am a three-time alum of the University of Miami. Don't you dare condescend to me about Miami academics. If Admiral Stavridis can be considered for the job by the entire BOT, and come in second, then he is BY NO MEANS unqualified for the job or comparable to Dwayne Johnson.

I know exactly why Frenk was brought in, and he hasn't even done a good job of that.

I would like to tell you that you would be doing the board a service by fellating a firearm, but I'm not going to do that.

And let's not forget that Tad Foote was the dean of the law school at Washington University in St. Louis.

I am a three-time alum of the University of Miami. Don't you dare condescend to me about Miami academics. If Admiral Stavridis can be considered for the job by the entire BOT, and come in second, then he is BY NO MEANS unqualified for the job or comparable to Dwayne Johnson.

I know exactly why Frenk was brought in, and he hasn't even done a good job of that.

I would like to tell you that you would be doing the board a service by fellating a firearm, but I'm not going to do that.
A Rusty C*ntBucket??....ROTFLMFAO..

Stop it. Frenk was the Dean of Faculty at Harvard, Stavrinidis was the Dean of Tufts' law school. Tulane's president was the Dean of Penn Law and has been doing wonders there. Please tell me what Frenk running the Ministry of Health in Mexico did to prepare him for his role at UM, absent helping the school navigate an unforeseeable pandemic.

WSP is correct....Norman Braman and other BOT's resigned over the UHealth purchase and other Shalala policies.

Advertisement

There is no way to prove/disprove this, but my sense is that today's BOT would have approved Stav over Frenk 5 years ago. Other than the fact that Frenk was Harvard, Stav was more qualified and more reknown.

There is no way to prove/disprove this, but my sense is that today's BOT would have approved Stav over Frenk 5 years ago. Other than the fact that Frenk was Harvard, Stav was more qualified and more reknown.

Yes. I had multiple people working at UM tell me that many people realized the mistake that had been made while it was still Frenk's first year in office.

Stavridis would have been much more of a LEADER for UM. Funny, but UM's Med School did pretty well under 20 years of Tad Foote, with his measly law school dean background...

Bruh it's 2021. Rock is running for POTUS. If we can elect trust fund celebrities we can certainly elect self made celebrities.

WSP is correct....Norman Braman and other BOT's resigned over the UHealth purchase and other Shalala policies.

Yeah, I am conflicted on Shalala. I can certainly acknowledge the multiple mistakes that were made on the Med School side. At the same time, she devoted a lot of effort to improving the undergrad side of UM.

As a person who has earned nearly every degree at Miami EXCEPT FOR an MD, I am not severely bothered by putting the undergraduate school ahead of the med school.

Advertisement
It's hard to summarize, because so little ACTUAL TRUTH has been given.

It happened quickly, with no advance warning, and many have complained about the lack of transparency.

I would also add that UM Law has struggled with fund-raising in prior years, and we survived. It took longer than it should have taken to get improvements/renovations for the Law Library.

I think a couple of people have pointed out some simple things. It doesn't seem like "being ***" should be an issue, as it was a known issue. He is being retained to teach, so it doesn't seem like it would be anything related to "morals" (i.e., affair with a student, sexual harrassment, or any other current day issue which usually leads to termination). The letter from Frenk mentions fund-raising, but (a) Varona has been Dean for 2 years, and over half of that time was impacted by COVID, and (b) there are still 4 years left in the fund-raising campaign, so why not hire an ace "Development" VP to help out?

Ultimately, the issue moves to Frenk, and his judgment, and the bad questions and bad publicity that this raises. Maybe Frenk is right, maybe Frenk is wrong, but if national publications are publishing stories related to the sexual orientation of Dean Varona (and whether you like the press or not, these questions can arise when there is very little transparency), then you have to imagine that this will not reflect well on Frenk.

It's time to make a change, and yes, this impacts our Athletics program too. LOTS of colleges/universities are struggling with the impact that COVID had on Athletics, and we need to find a leader who will resist the temptation to cut programs simply because revenue is down right now.

there could be another explanation for all this: maybe the Dean wasn't good at his job? (just saying)

Yeah, I am conflicted on Shalala. I can certainly acknowledge the multiple mistakes that were made on the Med School side. At the same time, she devoted a lot of effort to improving the undergrad side of UM.

As a person who has earned nearly every degree at Miami EXCEPT FOR an MD, I am not severely bothered by putting the undergraduate school ahead of the med school.
I think the undergrad and research parts are the dog and a lot of the rest is the tail that follows. It would have been nice if the law school wasn’t largely ignored.

Advertisement
There were so many parts of it that were bungled… the basic plan to acquire it and balance the relationship with Jackson, how purchase price, everything to do with Pascal Goldschmidt (cronyism, insider trading, retaliation culture, staff walkout), the mass layoffs, Shalala retaining Goldschmidt after the faculty gave him a vote of no confidence, putting the med school in financial peril, almost bankrupting the County’s most important public health support system. The only thing they did right was the initial idea that health care was moving towards consolidation. Otherwise, an unmitigated disaster over almost a decade.

Advertisement
Back