I don't think this is going to end well for President Frenk...

Do I recall recently reading that among law schools in Florida, recent grads of UM Law were ranked near the bottom in terms of passing the Bar? It was a passage rate well below UF/FSU/ along with many other law schools UM should be ranked ahead of.

If so I could well imagine it would sufficient reason for termination for unsatisfactory performance. A dismal record of a school's law students passing the Bar obviously kills the ranking of the Law School, which of course kills fund raising along with everything else.

Advertisement
Do I recall recently reading that among law schools in Florida, recent grads of UM Law were ranked near the bottom in terms of passing the Bar? It was a passage rate well below UF/FSU/ along with many other law schools UM should be ranked ahead of.

If so I could well imagine it would sufficient reason for termination for unsatisfactory performance. A dismal record of a school's law students passing the Bar obviously kills the ranking of the Law School, which of course kills fund raising along with everything else.

Wrong.

"Bar passage rate" as a determination of "good law schools" is a joke. I could get into the numerous reasons, both generally and specific to UM, but I don't want to bore anyone.

UM's bar passage rate has been lower than other Florida-based schools for a while, and there are some valid reasons. It's insane to fire a dean after 2 years (1.5 of those years being COVID-impacted) over bar passage rate.

Maybe this creates enough negative backlash that it ****es off enough BOT members to fire Frenk so we can hire a President that cares about our sports dept. and will fire Blake.

Advertisement
@wspcane & @TheOriginalCane

I appreciate u both setting a certain poster straight on this board. I also appreciate all of the alums intimate insight on the heap of dog chit happening behind the scenes. I have some connections, but not as intimate. I hated The Frenk hire. It’s crazy that even though I’m not an alum of Miami, b/c I’ve met so many ppl over the yrs who attended, it’s like my quasi-alma mater. Lol

Being a Minister of Health in Mexico or holding any political position in Mexico, one of the most inner-corrupt countries in the world is....well, I rather not say. Lol. Believe he was involved in some under the table, back door controversy while holding that position, as well.

From what I gather, his major accomplishment while Dean of Public Health at Harvard was a ridiculous donation to rename the school’s health facilities. But from what I understand, that donation would’ve happened w/ or w/o Frenk, but since he was Dean, it was credited to “under his leadership.” Lol

But there’s been a lot wrong under his leadership, just from an optics standpoint.

law school alum. here are some of Dean Varona's publications. i haven't donated a penny and will never do so since the f@cks don't have anything better to do than talk about homosexualism. he wasn't fired for sucking c@ck. half the male faculty does it.

En/Gendering Equality: Seeking Relief under Title VII against Employment Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation, with Jeffrey Monks, 7 Wm. & Mary J. Women & L. 67 (2000).

Setting the Record Straight: The Effects of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 1997 on the First and Fourteenth Amendment Rights of *** and ******* Public Schoolteachers, 6 CommLaw

law school alum. here are some of Dean Varona's publications. i haven't donated a penny and will never do so since the f@cks don't have anything better to do than talk about homosexualism. he wasn't fired for sucking c@ck. half the male faculty does it.

En/Gendering Equality: Seeking Relief under Title VII against Employment Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation, with Jeffrey Monks, 7 Wm. & Mary J. Women & L. 67 (2000).

Setting the Record Straight: The Effects of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 1997 on the First and Fourteenth Amendment Rights of *** and ******* Public Schoolteachers, 6 CommLaw
JESUS H CHRIST....Get this MFer outta UM......
CCeUPS5VEAEPkFW.jpg

Advertisement
Julio Frenk is the laughingstock around the Board of Regents at all Florida schools right now, my brother is one of those and couldn't laugh harder about this the day he heard about it the last week of May when it happened. We are lead by not smart folks, across the board.

@wspcane & @TheOriginalCane

I appreciate u both setting a certain poster straight on this board. I also appreciate all of the alums intimate insight on the heap of dog chit happening behind the scenes. I have some connections, but not as intimate. I hated The Frenk hire. It’s crazy that even though I’m not an alum of Miami, b/c I’ve met so many ppl over the yrs who attended, it’s like my quasi-alma mater. Lol

Being a Minister of Health in Mexico or holding any political position in Mexico, one of the most inner-corrupt countries in the world is....well, I rather not say. Lol. Believe he was involved in some under the table, back door controversy while holding that position, as well.

From what I gather, his major accomplishment while Dean of Public Health at Harvard was a ridiculous donation to rename the school’s health facilities. But from what I understand, that donation would’ve happened w/ or w/o Frenk, but since he was Dean, it was credited to “under his leadership.” Lol

But there’s been a lot wrong under his leadership, just from an optics standpoint.
You’re a wise man, my friend. If there is one thing this school loves, it is money (cue picture of Shalala with Nevin). I hadn’t heard that story about that donation but you have to try to not get a massive donation while working at Harvard. I get their logic… he would drive admissions and donations from Latin America and leverage Miami becoming a business capital to Latin America. But it obviously hasn’t happened for whatever reason. If you’re going for Latin America in Miami, I’m not sure Mexico is the first country that comes to mind. Also, it’s not like those wealthy families don’t have connections at Ivy Leagues or similar. And your points are totally valid… that man has likely seen some ****, been involved in some ****, etc.

To me, Miami was positioned to capture some of that regardless of who was in charge, but you have to choose the best leader. Maybe the board wanted a puppet, I don’t know. But he is clearly a weak leader and all of the school’s departments reflect that.

From what I have heard, he is a weird dude. Apparently had another office renovated and retrofitted to become a dressing room connected to his office. I don’t know. He is just a terrible fit.

Julio Frenk is the laughingstock around the Board of Regents at all Florida schools right now, my brother is one of those and couldn't laugh harder about this the day he heard about it the last week of May when it happened. We are lead by not smart folks, across the board.
Tell more if you can, please.

Stop it. Frenk was the Dean of Faculty at Harvard, Stavridis was the Dean of Tufts' law school. Tulane's president was the Dean of Penn Law and has been doing wonders there. Please tell me what Frenk running the Ministry of Health in Mexico did to prepare him for his role at UM, absent helping the school navigate an unforeseeable pandemic.

Our medical school has been going downhill just like everything else under Frenk. And by the way, if you want to hold Shalala up as some med school hero... how did overpaying for UHealth go under Shalala, or their brilliant plan to pay for it by sending "desirable" patients there and keeping charity cases at Jackson, nearly bankrupting Jackson, or the medical school faculty walking out of Pascal Goldschmidt's state of the school address after she spent millions to lure him down from Duke. Your act can fool a lot of people on here, but I promise you it is not fooling me.
Um. the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy is not a law school. It just has the word "law" in its name. It is a graduate school of international affairs. It does have, according to its website, joint degree programs with the law schools at Harvard and Berkeley.

I don't think Stavridis is a lawyer. That is kind of a prerequisite to being a law school dean.

In fact, I've never heard of a reputable law school with a dean that was not a lawyer.

Advertisement
Wrong.

"Bar passage rate" as a determination of "good law schools" is a joke. I could get into the numerous reasons, both generally and specific to UM, but I don't want to bore anyone.

UM's bar passage rate has been lower than other Florida-based schools for a while, and there are some valid reasons. It's insane to fire a dean after 2 years (1.5 of those years being COVID-impacted) over bar passage rate.
There was always that idea, circulated many years ago, that some state-supported law schools were oriented toward teaching in a way as to make passing the bar a major goal. That does not mean that the curriculum would be intellectually rigorous.

Um. the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy is not a law school. It just has the word "law" in its name. It is a graduate school of international affairs. It does have, according to its website, joint degree programs with the law schools at Harvard and Berkeley.

I don't think Stavridis is a lawyer. That is kind of a prerequisite to being a law school dean.

In fact, I've never heard of a reputable law school with a dean that was not a lawyer.
I stand corrected on the underlying subject, but the point remains the same. He was the dean of a school at a major university with a very well regarded academic reputation. The same as Frenk. He was and is more than qualified to run this school.

You’re a wise man, my friend. If there is one thing this school loves, it is money (cue picture of Shalala with Nevin). I hadn’t heard that story about that donation but you have to try to not get a massive donation while working at Harvard. I get their logic… he would drive admissions and donations from Latin America and leverage Miami becoming a business capital to Latin America. But it obviously hasn’t happened for whatever reason. If you’re going for Latin America in Miami, I’m not sure Mexico is the first country that comes to mind. Also, it’s not like those wealthy families don’t have connections at Ivy Leagues or similar. And your points are totally valid… that man has likely seen some ****, been involved in some ****, etc.

To me, Miami was positioned to capture some of that regardless of who was in charge, but you have to choose the best leader. Maybe the board wanted a puppet, I don’t know. But he is clearly a weak leader and all of the school’s departments reflect that.

From what I have heard, he is a weird dude. Apparently had another office renovated and retrofitted to become a dressing room connected to his office. I don’t know. He is just a terrible fit.

Bro; I hope the last part of ur statement is pure b.s; BUT, then again, do we not remember his infamous photo?? That alone should’ve gave some ?’s as to his leadership abilities. Lol.

But yeah man, i was sorely disappointed when he was chosen & I, too, get the reasoning or the logic, but Miami is predominantly Cuban & South American as far as Latino demographics, right? So hiring a guy from Mexico might not move the needle. In L.A, yes; Miami, maybe not so much. Which means if that was their thought process, clearly they don’t understand cultural fit.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Yes. And he had a graduation throne built for him, as he presides over graduation ceremonies.

But you get the big picture. Whatever he was supposed to do for the Med School over the past 6 years has not happened. And now he is slapping down the Law School dean for his 2-year tenure, 75 percent of which happened during Covid.

So, yeah, I think Julio is the LAST person who should be judging the accomplishments of others.

Julio's custom-built graduation throne (right side of picture):
1623204431274.png

Another view:
1623204465881.png

Last edited:
There was always that idea, circulated many years ago, that some state-supported law schools were oriented toward teaching in a way as to make passing the bar a major goal. That does not mean that the curriculum would be intellectually rigorous.

Correct. For years, Stetson had a near-perfect FL bar passage rate. It was because the curriculum was geared so heavily to Florida laws. Nobody gives a ****e, nor do they even really track, the Stetson bar passage rates for the other 49 states.

There has long been terminology that describes certain law schools as "national" law schools, of which Miami is one (and the best one in the state of Florida). Again, without going into detail, there are differences. There are reasons. There are explanations.

I was on UM Law Review and Moot Court Board. For decades, many of Miami's best law school grads have gone on to practice in many other states besides Florida. We certainly don't get credit when THOSE grads pass OTHER state bar exams.

I could go on, but those are three of the most basic reasons that contribute to UM's "low" Florida bar passage rate (actually, not a truly "low" rate, just lower than UF, F$U, and Stetson).

Yes. And he had a graduation throne built for him, as he presides over graduation ceremonies.

But you get the big picture. Whatever he was supposed to do for the Med School over the past 6 years has not happened. And now he is slapping down the Law School dean for his 2-year tenure, 75 percent of which happened during Covid.

So, yeah, I think Julio is the LAST person who should be judging the accomplishments of others.

Julio's custom-built graduation throne (right side of picture):
View attachment 147609

Another view:
View attachment 147610
I want to give you a laughing response for the chair but a love for everything else. My one friend who is somewhat dialed in still claims he is on his way out but I’m not so sure. If he is a lame duck, they absolutely cannot allow him to choose the next law school dean. I guess the current chair of the board is another UM law alum, not Bass. Then again, this is Miami and they have made a habit of doing things like that.

I want to give you a laughing response for the chair but a love for everything else. My one friend who is somewhat dialed in still claims he is on his way out but I’m not so sure. If he is a lame duck, they absolutely cannot allow him to choose the next law school dean. I guess the current chair of the board is another UM law alum, not Bass. Then again, this is Miami and they have made a habit of doing things like that.

Yeah, the graduation throne is a big joke around UM, but Tad didn't need one and Donna didn't need one. Julio had one built and dragged around to all of the different graduations, he can't be bothered to use the regular chairs that everyone else uses.

Personally, I don't care all that much, but it has become a much-mocked issue among the students and faculty. And it is in keeping with his "dressing room". I actually know a UM alum who used to work in that office. That actual physical office (now a dressing room).

Advertisement
Back