I don't think Manny understands the gravity of the situation he's in

Randy Shannon had a nine win season on his resume and the best he could do after getting fired from Miami was a LB gig at Arkansas (eventually made it back to the DC level but took him several years). Al Golden won 9 games too one year and is now a positional assistant in the NFL.

Manny is staring 7-6, at best, square in the face as well likely termination in year 2 if he doesn't right the ship NOW (Blake is worthless but the folks with $$$ will ensure this occurs). Unlike his predecessors, he won't have 4 or 5 years of experience as a major CFB head coach on his resume. Unlike his predecessors, he also wasn't an accomplished coordinator (like Shannon) or an 'up-and-coming' or 'hot' HC candidate' (like Golden) when he got the Miami job. He was a failed DC at Texas and a lazy, panicked hire by an incompetent AD coming off of 1 truly elite season as a DC in Coral Gables.

My point is that Manny will be lucky to land a position coaches gig at the P5 level if/when he meets his demise and he sure as **** will never be a HC at this level again (Group of 5 if he's lucky). Perhaps there isn't any internal pressure from the AD to make changes now, but history shows us that Blake has absolutely no say when it comes to coaching terminations (see Golden).

I still believe that Manny has a chance to succeed if he surrounds himself with the right people, similarly to what Orgeron has done at LSU. I said that about Golden as well and he was loyal to the end about getting rid of D'Onofrio. I said the same thing about Richt as well when he refused to fire his son. Neither coach is doing anything of relevance at the moment and likely never will again. Hopefully Diaz is smart enough to realize this or he will suffer a similar, if not worse fate.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He is absolutely a deer in the headlights.
32763D76-51A0-4FE9-BA27-6290A48CEB1C.jpeg

Advertisement
The ONLY chance Manny has is to go find some great asst. to surround himself with.Only problem is he doesn’t have the Rolodex or respect from success to do this and is going to be seen as a deadman walking.

Those things and the fact they would be working for a HC that any coordinator worth a sHT would be more qualified to be the HC than Manny is.

Advertisement
Randy Shannon had a nine win season on his resume and the best he could do after getting fired from Miami was a LB gig at Arkansas (eventually made it back to the DC level but took him several years). Al Golden won 9 games too one year and is now a positional assistant in the NFL.

Manny is staring 7-6, at best, square in the face as well likely termination in year 2 if he doesn't right the ship NOW (Blake is worthless but the folks with $$$ will ensure this occurs). Unlike his predecessors, he won't have 4 or 5 years of experience as a major CFB head coach on his resume. Unlike his predecessors, he also wasn't an accomplished coordinator (like Shannon) or an 'up-and-coming' or 'hot' HC candidate' (like Golden) when he got the Miami job. He was a failed DC at Texas and a lazy, panicked hire by an incompetent AD coming off of 1 truly elite season as a DC in Coral Gables.

My point is that Manny will be lucky to land a position coaches gig at the P5 level if/when he meets his demise and he sure as **** will never be a HC at this level again (Group of 5 if he's lucky). Perhaps there isn't any internal pressure from the AD to make changes now, but history shows us that Blake has absolutely no say when it comes to coaching terminations (see Golden).

I still believe that Manny has a chance to succeed if he surrounds himself with the right people, similarly to what Orgeron has done at LSU. I said that about Golden as well and he was loyal to the end about getting rid of D'Onofrio. I said the same thing about Richt as well when he refused to fire his son. Neither coach is doing anything of relevance at the moment and likely never will again. Hopefully Diaz is smart enough to realize this or he will suffer a similar, if not worse fate.

Bro, who is hegoing to surround himself with? He has no business being a HC and every coach can see it. No one is betting their reputation on this lispy runt.

If Willie could lure Broles, Manny can bring in some big guns. Money is nearly undefeated. Pair it with autonomy, and you'll get some bites.
Briles isn’t his father as we saw this year. Reportedly Lane stripped him of play calling. It’s not a big deal to get a guy with from FAU to FSU.

Compare that with the hire Coach O made at PASSING GAME coordinator. Not even OC.

Advertisement
I get the Manny hate and I’m on board with firing him if by some miracle that happens, but let’s not rewrite history and pretend he was a loser DC that nobody wanted. He did a **** of a job at La Tech, Miss St, and Miami after his failed tenure at Texas so he revamped his career enough into getting the HC position at Temple. UM has proven to be too much for him.

I get the Manny hate and I’m on board with firing him if by some miracle that happens, but let’s not rewrite history and pretend he was a loser DC that nobody wanted. He did a **** of a job at La Tech, Miss St, and Miami after his failed tenure at Texas so he revamped his career enough into getting the HC position at Temple. UM has proven to be too much for him.

Agree with this but the problem many of us have is that we're now stuck with him at least through most of the 2020 season if not longer than that.

Last edited:
2 things:

1. Diaz is not a leader like Orgeron or even Richt and Golden.

2. No one is hiring a guy with no football experience or recruiting acumen to be a position coach. He will either get another G5 DC job or...coach high school?

Concur. Oregeron has a pedigree. Hired by Jimmy and then stayed on with Dennis. Then coached with Pasqualoni who won the Big East 3 years in a row. Coached for Carroll who won a national title. Then hired by Les Miles, who did win a national title at LSU.

Honestly, what has Diaz accomplished as a position coach or DC? Never won a conference.

Agree with this but the problem many of this have is that we're now stuck with him at least through most of the 2020 season if not longer than that.
Yup. 100% agree. We might not have seen the worst of it yet. We’re stuck in purgatory for the foreseeable future. That’s why I think getting him out is the best move but it also comes with consequences that the program may not be able to handle in the short term.

Advertisement
Back