I can’t defend Manny

View attachment 98782

100% Agree

This troll b*otch set this program back to a point I’m unsure we’ll recover from. Her foul stinch still resonates throughout the program with personal and decision makers she put in place.

Give it a bloody break, kid! Ms. S has been gone from the program for DECADES now! duh. Nevertheless, I suggest you brush up on your hyperbole and all that. dUh

Advertisement
We had two opportunities to do that with Mullen and we blew it. First things first we need a competent, experienced, AD.

Yeah. I was one of the few voices of reason who WANTED Coach Daniel Boone Mullins in a desperate bad way. Yet, I was all on board with the Marky Mark Richt hire.

Nevertheless, mighty Florida defeats a STAUNCH legitimate Auburn squad with a THIRD-STRING QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!! Now that's fresh. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know the game was in " the swamp. " So what. A THIRD-STRING quarterback.

Oh. And one more notion. I tuned in for CFB Game Day and witnessed the Mullin's interview. And dig this, Coach Mullin's HAS THE FACTOR! He told the ESPN crew, prior to the game, that he DEMANDED and PLEADED with his offensive line, to give his QB " ONE MORE SECOND " on passing downs. Just one more second of protection!! Then Mullin's told Herbie and the crew, that he GOT IN HIS DEFENSES collective faces and told them THEY WERE GOING TO HAVE to WIN THAT GAME on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Witness the KEY INT when Auburn was in the red zone and knocking on the door to score a TD.

Nevertheless, with ALL the mistakes Miami made in the Florida game. They was so close to winning. So close! And since that game they've CRAPPED their pants just too many times. Ouch.

Blah Blah Blah

Yet another who doesn't know what he thinks he knows.

Miami football isn't like the other powerhouse programs with millions of donations from tens or hundreds of thousands of fans. Our donor pool is small and then there's some really big donors. They don't get involved besides when it's blatantly obvious that changes need to be made. When they reach that point, they make it happen. Big schools have tons of money and can tell the big fish to kick rocks if they want to as they've already got the money.

Blake and company operate in a space created by our financial limitations. When a decision needs to be made, they look for the funds to do so or are pressured into doing so by those with the means to get it done. We're just above a break even level, people forget this. So when a power player steps up to the plate, the AD on down listen.

You won't get autonomy here, it isn't possible. I'm sure there's brighter minds out there thsn Blake, but the money is what matters. That's where you've gotta look to see where the decisions come from. Someone who can see a future, successfully sell it, maybe that would work. Blake though, he's just a front.
Who are these power brokers forcing Blake to make these hires? Are you saying that they put stipulations on their donations that essentially does Blake's job for him?

I find that hard to believe.

You are repeating the obvious. Of course we’ve picked the wrong guys. As I’ve said numerous times, none of those guys got HC jobs after they left here. That says it all.

But they all failed for different reasons and with different “admins.” You loved the Golden hire until you didn’t. Me too. We all know the result- we’ve hired bad coaches. The hard part is figuring out why. I don’t have the answer.

You see this is where I have to jump in and just say you're wrong.

You know what all 5 of those guys had in common? In each of those 5 cases they were guys the majority of fans weren't hoping for. Not to say you should run a program on what fans say...but the point is the administration's logic in SELECTING each of those head coaches was just horribly flawed. I and many others in the fanbase could have told you THE DAY EACH OF THOSE GUYS WERE HIRED that they were bad hires. Not after the fact, not after they performed poorly, ON THE DAY OF. Shannon's defenses were horribly simplistic and got roasted when we played top 25 teams. Al Golden's Temple teams had some bad losses that were really a warning sign. Manny Diaz was too green and not ready for the step up to being a head coach. Mark Richt was on a CLEAR DECLINE and being run out of Georgia. Mind you, Georgia offers more resources than our school/administration could EVER offer a head coach and he STILL failed there. I'm not even going to touch on Coker other than to say his extension bothered me a **** of a lot more than his initial hiring, at the time.

You're correct that it's an inexact science, but after 5 times of picking pretty much the worst options that were out there, that most didn't want and for which there was a clear logical thought process as to why each wasn't a good candidate.....well brother at some point you have to point all 10 fingers back at the administration for making decisions they are not capable of making. They are a level beyond incompetent and a **** of a lot more dangerous because from what I know of that little cast of characters, they are filled with the "we know better than you" type.

The only hope we have is to get a strong AD in here and hope they leave him alone.....and I'd call the likelihood of each of those things happening a long shot at best.

Advertisement
Mullen and Leach, either of those two and we would be a pretty consistent Top 15 team and the ability to punch above our weight against the Clemson's of the world. And we turned them both down twice. Because they had the audacity to have testosterone in their toxic male body.

You see this is where I have to jump in and just say you're wrong.

You know what all 5 of those guys had in common? In each of those 5 cases they were guys the majority of fans weren't hoping for. Not to say you should run a program on what fans say...but the point is the administration's logic in SELECTING each of those head coaches was just horribly flawed. I and many others in the fanbase could have told you THE DAY EACH OF THOSE GUYS WERE HIRED that they were bad hires. Not after the fact, not after they performed poorly, ON THE DAY OF. Shannon's defenses were horribly simplistic and got roasted when we played top 25 teams. Al Golden's Temple teams had some bad losses that were really a warning sign. Manny Diaz was too green and not ready for the step up to being a head coach. Mark Richt was on a CLEAR DECLINE and being run out of Georgia. Mind you, Georgia offers more resources than our school/administration could EVER offer a head coach and he STILL failed there. I'm not even going to touch on Coker other than to say his extension bothered me a **** of a lot more than his initial hiring, at the time.

You're correct that it's an inexact science, but after 5 times of picking pretty much the worst options that were out there, that most didn't want and for which there was a clear logical thought process as to why each wasn't a good candidate.....well brother at some point you have to point all 10 fingers back at the administration for making decisions they are not capable of making. They are a level beyond incompetent and a **** of a lot more dangerous because from what I know of that little cast of characters, they are filled with the "we know better than you" type.

The only hope we have is to get a strong AD in here and hope they leave him alone.....and I'd call the likelihood of each of those things happening a long shot at best.

Fanbase almost universally loved the Golden hire.

The Golden hire is the ONLY one of the last 4 (Shannon, Golden, Richt and Manny) that can be supported with logic and reasoning. This doesn't mean he was the best or the right hire, it just means that it can be supported with logic and reasoning.

Why does this matter BTW? We're talking about our current people that are tasked with making decisions.

The Golden hire is the ONLY one of the last 4 (Shannon, Golden, Richt and Manny) that can be supported with logic and reasoning. This doesn't mean he was the best or the right hire, it just means that it can be supported with logic and reasoning.

Why does this matter BTW? We're talking about our current people that are tasked with making decisions.
I still maintain that if he had replaced Donuts with a Real DC and let them be the head coach of the D, he might have grown into the position, but the fact that he refused to do that affected everything he did.

Advertisement
I gotta respectfully disagree with you. I think this is an incredibly easy problem to peg. It’s only hard for those who are unwilling to look objectively and critically at what we’ve done.

Since Coker we hired two guys with zero head coaching experience who were coordinators on failed staffs. We hired them because *delusional narcissism.*

We hired one guy who had been fired from his prior job, hadnt succeeded with all the resources at UGA, wasnt sure he wanted to coach anymore, wasnt an innovative football mind, and wanted to do the one thing (coordinator) that (a) he stunk at and (b) undermined the entire ‘ceo coach’ theory (which theory sucked, in any case), and hired his unqualified son for a critical staff role. We hired him because *delusional narcissism.*

We hired another guy who had one prior HC job, where he had a losing record 3 of 4 years and overall, and looked like he was progressing because his team dropped to a low D1 conference. This guy was a terrible fit for UM philosophically, culturally, schematically. He was not an innovatove mind on O or D. His D didn’t fit our recruiting base, either. And he didn’t value the job. We hired him as a convulsive reaction because he seemed like the *anti-Radio.*

Why is this all so hard to peg? We have not hired a single qualified candidate in 20 years. If Miami fans were’t so emotionally invested in people with Miami ties, this would be obvious.

I agree with all of this. If Miami were to take a flier on a guy like Matt Campbell who started off in the MAC and won at Toledo then went onto the Big 12 and brought up a dormant Iowa State program to respectability. That's a guy that if brought to Miami and failed, you say it's just an outlier and just are overall disappointed. With our 5 HC hires in the last 20 years, they've all had multiple red flags. A guy like Matt Campbell at least meets all of the pre-requisite check marks. Him being able to succeed at Miami would be the only question - but at least he'd have a good resume coming in.

I still maintain that if he had replaced Donuts with a Real DC and let them be the head coach of the D, he might have grown into the position, but the fact that he refused to do that affected everything he did.

It doesn't matter at this point. Just like it doesn't matter to discuss the shortfalls of the others. HCs don't hire themselves. They don't extend themselves either.

Richt’s record is 171-64 with a 73% winning percentage. In the five years before we hired him, he averaged 10 wins.

It didn’t work because he was burnt out. But he’s the definition of a “proven, prolonged winner.” The other guys who meet that definition aren’t available.

Our best bet is to get a guy on the rise. That failed with Golden but may work better with an offensive mind. But for every Herman there is a Fuente. It’s a wildly inexact science.

Hermann was only going to TX though, and people forget, before Houston, he was Urb right hand man at OSU putting up 45 a game. He had pedigree from a top coach, proved he could sustain success at a G5 school with big wins over OU, and FSU among others. Hermann was Chris Peterson light, and Peterson has had Washington back to having success pretty consistently, save for his teams terrible performance Sat night.

Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I even stated my myopic-minded opinion on the passe Miami Herald Hurricane blog. Then came the unexpected road lost to a " 2-10 " Turtle team ( By the way, the Turtles only other win came against FCS Towson St. ) and the unthinkable 6-6 regular season. In other words, that 2011 Miami team was " built " to win AT LEAST 8 regular season games. If not nine regular season games with a little luck.

Advertisement
Who are these power brokers forcing Blake to make these hires? Are you saying that they put stipulations on their donations that essentially does Blake's job for him?

I find that hard to believe.

Welcome to college athletics. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. It is no different than business, politics, etc. You think Blake calls the shots, you'd be wrong. We barely turn a profit even with Adidas, ACC money, donations, etc. Money has to come from somewhere.

Welcome to college athletics. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. It is no different than business, politics, etc. You think Blake calls the shots, you'd be wrong. We barely turn a profit even with Adidas, ACC money, donations, etc. Money has to come from somewhere.
It's one thing to rely on donations and need approval before going forward with a decision, it's another thing entirely for the donors to be picking and choosing HCs -- effectively removing Blake entirely from the equation.

lol at manny learning at temple. He’s been exposed. He’s not head coaching material. He’d have Temple winless right now.

Advertisement
I agree with all of this. If Miami were to take a flier on a guy like Matt Campbell who started off in the MAC and won at Toledo then went onto the Big 12 and brought up a dormant Iowa State program to respectability. That's a guy that if brought to Miami and failed, you say it's just an outlier and just are overall disappointed. With our 5 HC hires in the last 20 years, they've all had multiple red flags. A guy like Matt Campbell at least meets all of the pre-requisite check marks. Him being able to succeed at Miami would be the only question - but at least he'd have a good resume coming in.
I agree with this completely. He would be a good hire, whether he worked out or not. There isn’t an obvious red flag in my view.

I agree with this completely. He would be a good hire, whether he worked out or not. There isn’t an obvious red flag in my view.

regarding campbell, he isnt leavng ISU for miami. he turned down NFL interest to stay there. he isnt coming to miami to make maybe a 1 mill more at best than hes making at ISU after his extension there

Advertisement
Back