Off-Topic Hurricane Season

Babcock ranch is also in the middle of nowhere and was only in the dirty side of the storm. They didn't get the worst of it as far as I saw. No surge. No flooding. The wind wasn't as bad there.

Advertisement
Babcock ranch is also in the middle of nowhere and was only in the dirty side of the storm. They didn't get the worst of it as far as I saw. No surge. No flooding. The wind wasn't as bad there.

How much, and what kind, of damage did you finally end up getting. And do you have any idea how high the winds were at your residence? Not trying to be ghoulish but I’m shocked - it it doesn’t sound like you got hit too bad especially living in Punta Gorda

Why on earth would you say these people are entitled? They made a terrible mistake didn’t listen to what was recommended, and paid for it possibly with their lives. I don’t get this post
He won't be responding. I clearly said to keep it about the hurricane two pages ago.

Advertisement
How much, and what kind, of damage did you finally end up getting. And do you have any idea how high the winds were at your residence? Not trying to be ghoulish but I’m shocked - it it doesn’t sound like you got hit too bad especially living in Punta Gorda
I am pretty sure we were well over 130 mph. I know the airport got 125 on the dirty side. After the eye passed it got much worse than that. So something over 130 for sure.

I have a house less than a year old. PG was rebuilt after Charley. The really bad areas are surge areas, flood areas or places that haven't been rebuilt already.

Why on earth would you say these people are entitled? They made a terrible mistake didn’t listen to what was recommended, and paid for it possibly with their lives. I don’t get this post
Also, the forecasts were all completely wrong until the morning of. It wasn't supposed the be this strong or move that far south. They models got it all wrong.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dang. Sounds like FMB, Captiva, Sanibel etc. will be without electric for over a month..
I'm minutes away from Ft Myers Beach, but being 2 miles inland saved my ***. My GF has been so shook, she even mentioned maybe it's time to move, even though it's only been a yr since I bought this Condo. She was offered an unbelievable job in Coral Gables at Mount Sinai Medical Center a few months back, and we've been contemplating that scenario since. Now after this disaster even more so. I mentioned this to @TheOriginalCane at that time.

I'm minutes away from Ft Myers Beach, but being 2 miles inland saved my ***. My GF has been so shook, she even mentioned maybe it's time to move, even though it's only been a yr since I bought this Condo. She was offered an unbelievable job in Coral Gables at Mount Sinai Medical Center a few months back, and we've been contemplating that scenario since. Now after this disaster even more so. I mentioned this to @TheOriginalCane at that time.

How did your condo building hold up and what floor?

Heck, how far inland have to go to feel safest? Say this type of storm hit East Coast?

How did your condo building hold up and what floor?

Heck, how far inland have to go to feel safest? Say this type of storm hit East Coast?
The building ( 8- plex) held up pretty **** well structurally, aside from some stucco damage. I'm on the second floor (Thank God) and only some leakage around some windows. The downstairs tenants (4 units) had some severe flooding issues. Nothing Catastrophic...but bad nonetheless.

Advertisement
I am in real estate PE fund that built numerous properties throughout Florida in recent years, including in Cape Coral and Fort Myers, and as of now, they all fared very well, since they were built to tougher codes. Lots of downed trees and that sort of stuff though, big cleanup.
We stayed at an Air BnB in Cape Coral last summer (it was right on a canal). Stumbled upon the property's IG account and it appears in good shape. The lanai got destroyed but that appears to be the major damage.

We stayed at an Air BnB in Cape Coral last summer (it was right on a canal). Stumbled upon the property's IG account and it appears in good shape. The lanai got destroyed but that appears to be the major damage.
Cape Coral has more Canals than Venice Italy...I grew up on a Canal on Viking Court, just up the road from the old Del Prado Inn.

Also, the forecasts were all completely wrong until the morning of. It wasn't supposed the be this strong or move that far south. They models got it all wrong.

Well, according to Lee County's own evacuation policy, mandatory evacuations are supposed to be ordered when there's a 10% chance of 6' or higher storm surge. The NHC mentioned 4'-7' of storm surge for the effected areas on Sunday.

Advertisement
Back