Off-Topic Hurricane Season

Sarasota has an incredible amount of Fiber Optics..to their credit. Some areas are rental & vacation homes....
Seems the new building codes helped some including the underground utilities. Nevertheless, the surge will devastate even the best built structures.

When I was growing up in Hollywood, we’d go to Naples and there was 1 store and had to take a boat to Marco Island or any of the other barrier islands for that matter.

I saw a recent picture of Marco and was stunned to see the entire island covered in houses and was blown away to see the causeway going to Sanibel before and after.

Advertisement
The west coast of Florida is always the preferred vacation spot always calm rolling waves spotted porpoise come close to the beaches years ago I actually saw a family come close to shore I kicked off shirt and shoes and dove in they swam around me always couple arms distance away circling.

Alexander Island Ans Maria island just a few old Florida areas were plenty of rentals for a week or longer.

In my book west coast of Florida the most relaxing vacation spots in the world.

When they welcome visitors again I’ll be there to blow some coin no need to bring anything but a couple swimsuits and flip flops.

Quick story :

I was staying at a family beach house and my brother-in-law and I walked to a beach beer joint just off the beach walked in got stopped

Bartender said we don’t allow any shoes must have sandy bare feet shirts optional for men and women LOLOLOL.

GOCANES

Seems the new building codes helped some including the underground utilities. Nevertheless, the surge will devastate even the best built structures.

When I was growing up in Hollywood, we’d go to Naples and there was 1 store and had to take a boat to Marco Island or any of the other barrier islands for that matter.

I saw a recent picture of Marco and was stunned to see the entire island covered in houses and was blown away to see the causeway going to Sanibel before and after.
I am in real estate PE fund that built numerous properties throughout Florida in recent years, including in Cape Coral and Fort Myers, and as of now, they all fared very well, since they were built to tougher codes. Lots of downed trees and that sort of stuff though, big cleanup.

What’s very sad to see after a CAT-5 is people in a daze of unable to comprehend what happened in all there possessions and home obliterated wondering around lost and confused trying to talk to there selves.

I myself after Andrew went out to look around ONE BLOCK AWAY and almost got lost not knowing where I was didn’t know it went into a state of no no this isn’t real can be and I got turned around in my heard NOTHING WAS FAMILIAR unrecognizable.

My breathing just picked up a couple notches just sharing this WOW.
We had a 34' sailboat at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club back then ... had to move it from the moorings every time there was a hurricane warning. For Andrew we moved up past the causeway and anchored between the islands (off of Palm / Star island) ... 3 sailboats ... each with 5 anchors ... each anchor with 200 feet of line and 25 feet of chain and a variety of anchors. All went through the storm without incident. Most didn't fare so well ... Monty's in the Grove had 40' sport fishermen lined up in the parking lot facing the road ... one big 50' boat sat impaled on a piling with the stern sitting on a dock. It was like some little kid took a toy chest and dumped it on the floor. Surreal. My wife and I got married at the Biltmore Hotel on October 17, 1992 ... ours was the first function the Biltmore had after the hurricane. Our out of town guests were pretty much the only "non electrical line workers" in the hotel.

Advertisement
I am in real estate PE fund that built numerous properties throughout Florida in recent years, including in Cape Coral and Fort Myers, and as of now, they all fared very well, since they were built to tougher codes. Lots of downed trees and that sort of stuff though, big cleanup.
Fort Myers Beach didn't fare too well. Nasty.

Advertisement
Over 80 verified dead...more missing...

That’s horrible. But the day after the hurricane I would have sworn to you that there would be hundreds and hundreds dead, because I don’t know, or I had a very bad feeling, about how many people actually decided to tough it out, especially on the barrier islands and the west facing shoreline habitations.

I still have no idea how many people stayed as opposed to how many people evacuated. And I would be interested in knowing who actually chose to stay in places like Sanibel or Captiva.

That’s horrible. But the day after the hurricane I would have sworn to you that there would be hundreds and hundreds dead, because I don’t know, or I had a very bad feeling, about how many people actually decided to tough it out, especially on the barrier islands and the west facing shoreline habitations.

I still have no idea how many people stayed as opposed to how many people evacuated. And I would be interested in knowing who actually chose to stay in places like Sanibel or Captiva.
They were evacuating people from Sanibel and Captiva via Helicopter....I don't mean to sound harsh, but, how in the world would you stay put on either island, with that monstrosity bearing down on you??

Was searching how Margaritaville Resort fared after Ian. Replaced a property I worked with called Pierview. Ran across this article.

Would like to see his comments after Ian..
After that hurricane that wiped out Mexico Beach, FL afew years ago, you'd have thought there would be a healthy respect for storm surge.

Advertisement
This poor family has had a rough couple of years. Lived through two of the strongest storms to hit Florida since Andrew.

Advertisement
Those "mandatory" evacuation orders that are issued routinely with all hurricanes -- just how "mandatory" are they? How many "unwilling" evacuees are actually forced to leave by police or other authorities.

Those "mandatory" evacuation orders that are issued routinely with all hurricanes -- just how "mandatory" are they? How many "unwilling" evacuees are actually forced to leave by police or other authorities.
None. They can’t actually force you to leave your property, but they can let you know you are on your own and help will not be able to come if you need it.

Finally got power this evening in Punta Gorda. Really feeling for those in Ft. Myers and closer to the beach. My neighborhood faired pretty well all said and done for being in the eye.

I was finally able to get supplies to some friends in North Port. The river is still overflowing there.

Advertisement
Back