Off-Topic Hurricane Season

That is scary if it did more damage than Andrew in ‘92. Fort Myers must be a total disaster area.
You could fit Andrew into Ian's eye....no comparison whatsoever....Andrew caused 60 Billion dollars of damage. Ian when all is said and done, 10 times as much.

Advertisement
You could fit Andrew into Ian's eye....no comparison whatsoever....Andrew caused 60 Billion dollars of damage. Ian when all is said and done, 10 times as much.
It was Charley that was small. Andrew was pretty big. Because Charley was small, it had a smaller storm surge.

This was Andrew.

1664542513942.png

This is Ian.
1664542585612.png

Advertisement
It was the storm surge that was the most devastating.
Trust me...I went through Charlie (and 2 others in 8 weeks) in Orlando...and went down to Miami in 92 to see Andrew's devastation....all of them put together has nothing on Ian....

Andrew was only a mile wide swath of devastation....this is 10X worse.
It destroyed Homestead Air Force Base and levelled Country Walk in Kendall 20 miles away. They were getting Cat 5 gusts at the NHC in Coral Gables.

It's 2 different types of destruction. Andrew was more wind than storm surge. Ian was more destructive because of the surge, just like Katrina.

It destroyed Homestead Air Force Base and levelled Country Walk in Kendall 20 miles away. They were getting Cat 5 gusts at the NHC in Coral Gables.

It's 2 different types of destruction. Andrew was more wind than storm surge. Ian was more destructive because of the surge, just like Katrina.
Again....Ian is the worst natural disaster in Fls History....Andrew caused 56 Billion in damage....Ian will be 10x worse...no comparison at all....I know what Andrew did to Homestead....I had friends in Naranja Lakes for many yrs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Again....Ian is the worst natural disaster in Fls History....Andrew caused 56 Billion in damage....Ian will be 10x worse...no comparison at all.
I agree. I'm saying they're different types of destruction. Andrew was still a big storm, but it didn't have the surge that Ian did. Charley was much more compact all around.

Ian had both the winds and storm surge that caused extensive damage throughout the state

Can not imagine the cost of damages that will result

Marco, Naples, Bonita. Estero, Fort Myers, Captiva, Sanibel, Cape Coral, Port Charlotte all up the SW Coast and flooding in Central FL onto NE FL

Even East Coast had some nasty weather night before

Andrew blew across Homestead and SWFL so fast compared to Ian

The surge had nothing to do with the carnage in Central Fl.....even Ian's Wind surge dwarfs Andrew.

Advertisement
When I first moved to the Cape in 74....there was a 7-11 close to Cape Elementary, we'd walk to 7-11 on Del Prado to get Slurpees after playing Hoops at the school.
I think my manager said his house was on sw29th street in Cape Coral. He's waiting on a damage report from his in-law's.
I had the wrong street number. I knew i would forget it, but somewhere on a canal in sw Cape Coral.

Last edited:
I think my manager said his house was on sw29th street in Cape Coral. He's waiting on a damage report from his in-law's.
Cape Coral is literally destroyed. I have dozens of friends on the Cape. Carnage is beyond comprehension...Remember, the Cape has more canals than Venice Italy....add in the Caloosahatchee River, and the destruction is something the State has never seen. From Ft Myers to Naples looks worse than a War zone.

Advertisement
Part of Naples pier is gone, not all of it. That Ft Myers Square area holds some Great memories for me. We'd skip school, buy some Michelob (we had a friends sister buy it for us) and head to the Square...I'm talking 1976-1978
Ultras I love it

Ian had both the winds and storm surge that caused extensive damage throughout the state

Can not imagine the cost of damages that will result

Marco, Naples, Bonita. Estero, Fort Myers, Captiva, Sanibel, Cape Coral, Port Charlotte all up the SW Coast and flooding in Central FL onto NE FL

Even East Coast had some nasty weather night before

Andrew blew across Homestead and SWFL so fast compared to Ian
Andrew did nothing in Central Fl....just alittle rain...I was living in Orlando in 92. Barely anything.

Seriously!!

Are some going to come here and argue about which was worse ( wind or surge) wherever??

BOTH ARE HORRIBLE!!. I'm sure it was different everywhere. I can only speak of what my neighbors told me about our homes in Estero.

The coastal storm surge caused water to fill the entire 1st floors down there. They had to seek safety on the 2nd floor. Damage was extensive. But fact is ALL hurricane damage is extremely costly.

My days of riding out storms is in my past. IMO IF you've been through one or two in your lifetime you have already seen far more than enough.

It's not done yet, the Northeast and Mid Atlantic will also suffer to a far lesser degree from this monster

Advertisement
Back