Off-Topic Hurricane Season

Advertisement
I think there are some coastal areas of the Carolinas that also have similar finds to central Florida right?
There's similar finds all throughout the Southeast....Clovis points are found in every state except Hawaii...Paleo points are anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000yrs old. In Florida, Clovis are found no further South than Sarasota, due to no lithic material (Flint or Chert) unless an isolated find due to trade.

@SWFLHurricane, with all of the development in Florida, where can search nowadays? I feel like everything is now private property or being built on.

Advertisement
@Empirical Cane @JD08 @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @TheOriginalCane @Rickd

This is a Unfluted Clovis...every bit of 12,000yrs old....most have Flutes...but some don't. Made of Coastal Plain Chert (Flint)
From Levy County, found in 2003View attachment 223643

@Empirical Cane @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @JD08 @TheOriginalCane @Rickd

Another Clovis point....but this one has a Channel Flute....same material as above. Also found in Levy County Fl.....
View attachment 223644
These must’ve been for the bigger animals. What do you think they were taking down with these large ones? Those big *** sloths?

@SWFLHurricane

These guys, apparently, if their theory is correct, figured this out on their own. They’re not academicians either.

Some of the most beautiful art I have ever seen, are the drawings on the caves that have been found in Europe, especially in France and Spain.

These must’ve been for the bigger animals. What do you think they were taking down with these large ones? Those big *** sloths?
Mammoths, Mastodon, Giant Sloths, Sabre Tooth cats, etc....mostly Mega Fauna. @OriginalCanesCanesCanes ...Go Google Dean Quigley prehistoric artist....Dude is unquestionably the best Artifact/Early man artist in Fl....

Mammoths, Mastodon, Giant Sloths, Sabre Tooth cats, etc....mostly Mega Fauna. @OriginalCanesCanesCanes ...Go Google Dean Quigley prehistoric artist....Dude is unquestionably the best Artifact/Early man artist in Fl....

Thanks, will do. Yeah I think we talked about this before and I was surprised that the large mammals, especially huge ones like mastodons and mammoths, ranged this far south.

Advertisement
Thanks, will do. Yeah I think we talked about this before and I was surprised that the large mammals, especially huge ones like mastodons and mammoths, ranged this far south.
Wooly Mammoths and Columbian Mammoths and Mastadon were the Mega Fauna....you also had Extinct Horses...Smiledon (Sabre tooth cat) Extinct Bison etc...

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes @SFbayCane @JD08 @Rickd
Last night a buddy who's a Superintendent of a Site Development Company gave me a heads up in regards to a Site that he'll be working in Northport Fl which is about an hrs drive from my place in San Carlos. It's about a 50 acre parcel with a Natural Lake on it, and a Creek that runs directly through it. They had just started Root raking, and clearing the parcel last week. Knowing it had just rained in that vicinity a few days ago, I decided to take a ride out there this a.m and do some surface hunting. Within an hour I found 4 Spearpoints and a small True Arrowhead (Birdpoint) where the rain had washed them out. After about 2hrs a Foreman who was watching the Heavy Equipment from vandalism walked up and told me I had to leave...Lol....So God only knows what else I would've found. Here they are In-Situ....
The top one is all of them cleaned up.
The Top 2 are Newnans about 5,000yrs old, the 3rd one is a Greenbrier about 8,000yrs old, the small Birdpoint is about 1,500yrs old.
20230115_153442.jpg

20230115_142848.jpg
20230115_142924.jpg
20230115_142953.jpg
20230115_143101.jpg

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes @SFbayCane @JD08 @Rickd
Last night a buddy who's a Superintendent of a Site Development Company gave me a heads up in regards to a Site that he'll be working in Northport Fl which is about an hrs drive from my place in San Carlos. It's about a 50 acre parcel with a Natural Lake on it, and a Creek that runs directly through it. They had just started Root raking, and clearing the parcel last week. Knowing it had just rained in that vicinity a few days ago, I decided to take a ride out there this a.m and do some surface hunting. Within an hour I found 4 Spearpoints and a small True Arrowhead (Birdpoint) where the rain had washed them out. After about 2hrs a Foreman who was watching the Heavy Equipment from vandalism walked up and told me I had to leave...Lol....So God only knows what else I would've found. Here they are In-Situ....
The top one is all of them cleaned up.
The Top 2 are Newnans about 5,000yrs old, the 3rd one is a Greenbrier about 8,000yrs old, the small Birdpoint is about 1,500yrs old.
View attachment 224924
View attachment 224920View attachment 224921View attachment 224922View attachment 224923

These Paleolithic dudes were running wild lol - amazing how much you find

Advertisement
@SWFLHurricane - Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

It certainly takes a trained eye to spot this stuff. I could have been there and woulda walked right over those items, probably woulda stepped on them too. lol

I took Geology at Fresno State and was fortunate to have been able to go on a couple field trips to an archeological dig site up in the Sierra Nevada mountains where they had found a grouping of fish fossils. And this was, I wanna say at the 1800' mark (above sea level). It was a cool experience for a college sophomore.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Advertisement

It certainly takes a trained eye to spot this stuff. I could have been there and woulda walked right over those items, probably woulda stepped on them too. lol

I took Geology at Fresno State and was fortunate to have been able to go on a couple field trips to an archeological dig site up in the Sierra Nevada mountains where they had found a grouping of fish fossils. And this was, I wanna say at the 1800' mark (above sea level). It was a cool experience for a college sophomore.

Thanks....28yrs into it, ironically taught the hobby by a diehard FSU fan in the Panhandle back in 1995.

@SFbayCane ....I too took some classes back in 2005 at Valencia in Orlando (Pre-Columbian Archaeology, and Anthropology) not for credits, just for personal knowledge.

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes @Rickd @JD08 @Empirical Cane @423Hurricane
Coming home from Sarasota I stopped in Northport at that site I found 4 Spearpoints last week. And this time nobody was there (Sunday) and the site wasn't fenced in yet. I got out of my truck, and walked maybe 50yds and BAM.....a 9,000 yr old Bolen Bevel. What sucks, is the base has a broken piece on one side. If it had no break, we're talking $300....with break, $50....It be's like that sometimes....Lol
1000000405.jpg

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes @Rickd @JD08 @Empirical Cane @423Hurricane
Coming home from Sarasota I stopped in Northport at that site I found 4 Spearpoints last week. And this time nobody was there (Sunday) and the site wasn't fenced in yet. I got out of my truck, and walked maybe 50yds and BAM.....a 9,000 yr old Bolen Bevel. What sucks, is the base has a broken piece on one side. If it had no break, we're talking $300....with break, $50....It be's like that sometimes....LolView attachment 227172
1000000412.jpg

Advertisement
Back