Off-Topic Hurricane Season

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes ....this is my 1st case from 1995 in Ft Walton Bch....all from walking the shoreline of Choctawhatchee Bay during lowtide.
CAM00173.jpg

Advertisement
You’ve got to be the leading collector in the of these items in the state of Florida. Does anybody have as many as you? I mean like other than museums.
Mannnnn....I've got friends with collections that Dwarf mine. I'm talking Million Dollar collections....Collections that completely Humble me. One in particular is a 85yr old gentleman, who was finding incredible stuff in the Silver River in Ocala in the 40s and 50s. He is called one of the Forefathers of Florida Underwater Archaeology. In the 50s the producers and director of The Creature of the Black Lagoon hired him and a friend to serve as Guides because the movie was filmed on The Silver River, Homosassa Springs, and Weeki Watchee where they knew those areas like the back of their hands. They even met Rico Browning who played the creature.

Last edited:
Mannnnn....I've got friends with collections that Dwarf mine. I'm talking Million Dollar collections....Collections that completely Humble me. One in particular is a 85yr old gentleman, who was finding incredible stuff in the Silver River in Ocala in the 40s and 50s. He is called one of the Forefathers of Florida Underwater Archaeology. In the 50s the producers and director of The Creature of the Black Lagoon hired him and a friend to serve as Guides because the movie was filmed on The Silver River, Homosassa Springs, and Weeki Watchee where they knew those areas like the back of their hands. They even met Rico Browning who played the creature.

Wow. Florida must’ve been a jumping place 10,000+ years ago

Advertisement
Wow. Florida must’ve been a jumping place 10,000+ years ago
It is really crazy when you read some of the facts ... the area close to where we live in DeLand ... around Hontoon Island, Lake Beresford and shores of the St. Johns River, were bordered by huge shell mounds ... oysters and snails ... that the indigenous people had been eating for a few thousand years. The mounds were so large and in so many areas that when the State of Florida commenced the major highway construction efforts back in the 1940's they literally mined the shell mounds by the thousands of truck loads as aggregate for the road beds. God only knows how many historical finds were removed and are part of road beds throughout the state.

It is really crazy when you read some of the facts ... the area close to where we live in DeLand ... around Hontoon Island, Lake Beresford and shores of the St. Johns River, were bordered by huge shell mounds ... oysters and snails ... that the indigenous people had been eating for a few thousand years. The mounds were so large and in so many areas that when the State of Florida commenced the major highway construction efforts back in the 1940's they literally mined the shell mounds by the thousands of truck loads as aggregate for the road beds. God only knows how many historical finds were removed and are part of road beds throughout the state.

Yeah I’ve heard about the shell mounds before but not thought too much about them. I suppose it’s not surprising that there were a lot of people in Florida, it had abundant natural resources. Those little mollusks or oysters are super nutrient rich. And you don’t have to expend a lot of calories to hunt them.

Advertisement
Yeah I’ve heard about the shell mounds before but not thought too much about them. I suppose it’s not surprising that there were a lot of people in Florida, it had abundant natural resources. Those little mollusks or oysters are super nutrient rich. And you don’t have to expend a lot of calories to hunt them.
The shell mounds are a product of the Mississippian and Woodland culture from 800yrs ago until 3,000yrs ago...from 5,000 to 12,000 yrs ago the Indians were Hunter Gatherers....The Ft Walton Culture about 800 to 1,500yrs ago were prolific Mound builders....I have so much Ft Walton incised pottery that I have 5gallon buckets chock full of pottery.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back