Hurricane Irma

Advertisement
Rooting for the euro model. Hits Naples but much weaker. The GFS is gonna be really really bad.

Something else to add to your supply list...a landline phone. Because if the power goes out to the cell towers, landline is the only way you can make & receive calls.

And don't get one of those cordless phones, get a corded one, the cordless ones don't work when the power goes out.

If you have the means or the way you need to get out of S.Fla and head toward mobile or west of there....If this thing comes straight up the state it will still be pulling energy from the gulf or Atlantic.This things gonna be NAS-ty.

Everyone in its path please be safe and my thoughts are with you.

This hurricane, if it strikes Florida, could affect literally any or many parts of the state. Once it turns north, the models don't agree.

Remembering that any part of the state of 20 million could be grievously affected, suggesting evacuation is impractical, logistically impossible, and plain crazy. Only those mandatory evacuation areas should leave, like the keys, etc. It's hard enough getting thousands out of the keys, the beaches, etc

More people would die in a mass population evacuation than from a hurricane. It's literally impossible to evacuate any city like Miami and others.

If you're not in an evacuation area, the best thing to do is prepare thoroughly, including finding the best safe interior space in your house, possibly a bathroom.

Great advice OCCC, please stay safe!

Advertisement
If you have the means or the way you need to get out of S.Fla and head toward mobile or west of there....If this thing comes straight up the state it will still be pulling energy from the gulf or Atlantic.This things gonna be NAS-ty.

This hurricane, if it strikes Florida, could affect literally any or many parts of the state. Once it turns north, the models don't agree.

Remembering that any part of the state of 20 million could be grievously affected, suggesting evacuation is impractical, logistically impossible, and plain crazy. Only those mandatory evacuation areas should leave, like the keys, etc. It's hard enough getting thousands out of the keys, the beaches, etc

More people would die in a mass population evacuation than from a hurricane. It's literally impossible to evacuate any city like Miami and others.

If you're not in an evacuation area, the best thing to do is prepare thoroughly, including finding the best safe interior space in your house, possibly a bathroom.

Not talking about evacuating if your not in the path of the thing.But the eye is 35 miles wide and it looks like it could go straight up the middle of the state.If it does that means people on either side of the eye are in its path which is pretty much coast to coast so who stays and who goes...

Even if it goes up the west coast of Fla.It puts the worst part of the storm ,the east/N Eastern side of the storm Right over Dade,and Broward county....so who stays and who goes.

It is supposed to get to the southern point of Fla and to the keys on Saturday or Sunday .That gives you4-5 days to get you and your family out of harms way.

Yea if everyone decides to go on Friday it's going to be a mess.If you go now or tomorrow you may have traffic but it will be moving.Ive vacated from Key West several times.Big thing is don't wait until the day before to go.

I know it only takes one, but how often do these things actually hit?

I remember reading the board last year and the media panic about the hurricane - only for it to miss Florida entirely.

I remember reading the board last year and the media panic about the hurricane - only for it to miss Florida entirely.

2004 was the last one that did damage.

Advertisement

This one formed off of Cape Verdes, an island off the coast of Africa...the ones that form off of Cape Verdes are the most intense ones. Heard a figure yesterday that only 3 out of 18 have hit Florida if I'm not mistaken.

Regardless, Irma comin'.

[MENTION=8538]TadFoote[/MENTION]ball

I did listen to Morales and I agree with you, he is about the only one not trying to hype the situation.

Not talking about evacuating if your not in the path of the thing.But the eye is 35 miles wide and it looks like it could go straight up the middle of the state.If it does that means people on either side of the eye are in its path which is pretty much coast to coast so who stays and who goes...

Even if it goes up the west coast of Fla.It puts the worst part of the storm ,the east/N Eastern side of the storm Right over Dade,and Broward county....so who stays and who goes.

It is supposed to get to the southern point of Fla and to the keys on Saturday or Sunday .That gives you4-5 days to get you and your family out of harms way.

Yea if everyone decides to go on Friday it's going to be a mess.If you go now or tomorrow you may have traffic but it will be moving.Ive vacated from Key West several times.Big thing is don't wait until the day before to go.

South Florida alone, if you count Naples Ft Myers, the Keys, Miami-Dade, PB and surrounding areas, just that, is around 6 million give or take.

I don't believe your thinking this through. Even if only 30% of those millions decide to leave in an orderly fashion starting right now, it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Our roadways and transportation systems can only handle a fraction of the population leaving over time. It's just not possible.

Advertisement

I agree with you, the entire southern half of the state could be in serious trouble if it follows the Euro model. If you can leave Wednesday or Thursday, its probably a good idea.

Thing with the path of Irma, is it's one those storms that can hit Florida twice...basically hit where you evacuated from & to.

We live in the Fort Myers area and are leaving for Indianapolis tonight. Will be working out of that office for a while. Just hoping we have a home to return to.

Advertisement
Godspeed brother.

Get prepped and help your neighbors.

Thanks! **** is getting real down here. Having a 4 month old changes everything for me too with these situations. Might get crazy and leave town.

Choose carefully brother. They have a lot of the models saying it's going right through the middle of the state

That's the frustrating part. I could leave but where do I go? Florida is about to take up the tail end.

See my post above...I've got two little ones as well and I'm thinking this might just be an excuse to travel with the team up to Jonesboro. You're not going to get a medal for waiting out the storm in person and the destruction is going to be just as bad when you get back in town after the storm passes.

I lived Andrew and all the others....really don't want to go through that **** again.

Good call. I thought about doing the same but didn't want the baby to travel in a car for that long. We aren't prepared to fly with the baby at this point either. Plus, Arkansas is a hard sale for the wife. Safe travels.

Wow, just over an hour ago, it was a 4 with 150mph winds and was supposed to weaken to 130 by Sunday morning.

It's supposed to hit Puerto Rico. Not that I want it to hit any land, but if it does, it might (likely will) weaken.

Yeah, thanks. It is suppose to hit us tonight and tomorrow, and they say some parts of the island may be 3-4 months without electricity because of the terrible shape of the electrical lines combined with a hurricane.

What part of the island are you on? I spent a couple weeks in the Rincon/Isabela area last summer.

San Juan, the capital, north of the island

Wow. It looks like you're in the path. I recently returned from 2 weeks on the northeast coast of the DR, a place I love. I think they're going to get crushed. God willing you and your family will be safe.

Advertisement
Back