Hurricane Irma

Do you moonlight as a meteorologist when you're not fighting on the baseball board?

This will come as a shock to you, but you don't have to be a meteorologist to know that Atlantic storms inevitably turn north.

As for the baseball board, I don't fight. I just defend the fact that I called the disaster that happened in 2017.

Advertisement
Do you moonlight as a meteorologist when you're not fighting on the baseball board?

This will come as a shock to you, but you don't have to be a meteorologist to know that Atlantic storms inevitably turn north.

As for the baseball board, I don't fight. I just defend the fact that I called the disaster that happened in 2017.

Another guy that wants to be right more than he cares about the teams.

Nobody gives a fūck what you think. Go back to baseball board and crown yourself some more while you wallow in the misery of our baseball team. And don't even bother denying that you fūcking love what's happening, rather than hating it.

its going to go sharp north eventually...just hope it happens before Florida (does not look like thats happening now) or after Florida into the gulf.

As long as the eye does not hit land im ok with that...that center is obviously what you really have to worry about (IMO, im concerned about my tile roof, trees etc... window protection alrdy in place and flooding is a guarantee either way being in SoFla).
You definitely want it to turn BEFORE Fla. to stay on the west side of the storm.

It's going to take a hard right at some point from all the tracks and you don't want to be on the eastern side of this monster..

Another guy that wants to be right more than he cares about the teams.

Nobody gives a fūck what you think. Go back to baseball board and crown yourself some more while you wallow in the misery of our baseball team. And don't even bother denying that you fūcking love what's happening, rather than hating it.

No, I don't WANT to be right, I WAS right. Big difference.

For someone who doesn't give a fck, you sure responded pretty quickly.

its going to go sharp north eventually...just hope it happens before Florida (does not look like thats happening now) or after Florida into the gulf.

As long as the eye does not hit land im ok with that...that center is obviously what you really have to worry about (IMO, im concerned about my tile roof, trees etc... window protection alrdy in place and flooding is a guarantee either way being in SoFla).
You definitely want it to turn BEFORE Fla. to stay on the west side of the storm.

It's going to take a hard right at some point from all the tracks and you don't want to be on the eastern side of this monster..

Apparently you can't point that out unless you're a meteorologist.

Advertisement

I've only been in the tail end of a hurricane (Bob). What's the deal with the west vs east side?

Not saying we'll never get hit again or even not to plan appropriately but the last shred of integrity these fear merchants/agents of Home Depot and Publix had was burned last year during the complete joke that was "Hurricane" Matthew. And the sad thing is that a lot of people here have become so skeptical of the wall-to-wall fear mongering and totally inaccurate meteorological "science" that widespread preparations will never take place again until we are actually hit hard again.

All that said, follow or listen to John Morales at NBC 6 if you want a guy with an actual science background (and not some girl that went into meteorology as an add-on to her broadcasting/communications major at State U) and isn't afraid to tell it like it is- even if that means saying we're not going to get hit with anything.

As someone that just went through Hurricane Harvey in Houston, I'd say better to be safe than sorry. I thought the forecast was a bunch of BS when I first found out about it (literally two days before the storm arrived in Texas), but I stocked up 2 weeks worth of food (non perishables) and water. It turns out I ended up needing about 9 days of both because although we didn't flood we couldn't get anywhere and when we could there were no supplies left.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I've only been in the tail end of a hurricane (Bob). What's the deal with the west vs east side?

The west side is always the worst side of the storm cause it's where it's pulling all of its power out of the eye.Look at the rotation of the storm.Its counterclockwise so the power is coming from the midlle and as it turns toward the left( CCW) the power diminishes.

I'm not a meteorologist and I didn't stay at a HI express but I've been through a bunch of them.

Not saying we'll never get hit again or even not to plan appropriately but the last shred of integrity these fear merchants/agents of Home Depot and Publix had was burned last year during the complete joke that was "Hurricane" Matthew. And the sad thing is that a lot of people here have become so skeptical of the wall-to-wall fear mongering and totally inaccurate meteorological "science" that widespread preparations will never take place again until we are actually hit hard again.

All that said, follow or listen to John Morales at NBC 6 if you want a guy with an actual science background (and not some girl that went into meteorology as an add-on to her broadcasting/communications major at State U) and isn't afraid to tell it like it is- even if that means saying we're not going to get hit with anything.

As someone that just went through Hurricane Harvey in Houston, I'd say better to be safe than sorry. I thought the forecast was a bunch of BS when I first found out about it (literally two days before the storm arrived in Texas), but I stocked up 2 weeks worth of food (non perishables) and water. It turns out I ended up needing about 9 days of both because although we didn't flood we couldn't get anywhere and when we could there were no supplies left.

Hope you and your family are safe and your right,you have to respect these things especially in the gulf.

The water is so hot in the gulf 86-88 degrees ,these things can grow fast.When Katrina hit here it had just crossed land in S.Fla and everyone thought it would Peter out.2-3 days later it put this area under water.

Advertisement

The west side is always the worst side of the storm cause it's where it's pulling all of its power out of the eye.Look at the rotation of the storm.Its counterclockwise so the power is coming from the midlle and as it turns toward the left( CCW) the power diminishes.

I'm not a meteorologist and I didn't stay at a HI express but I've been through a bunch of them.

It's all been made clear to me.

Last edited:

NOAA explains it here.

TCFAQ D6) Why are the strongest winds in a hurricane typically on the

OK I see. I'm guessing you misspoke when you said "You don't want to be on the eastern side of this monster"? You meant "western".

OK I see. I'm guessing you misspoke when you said "You don't want to be on the eastern side of this monster"? You meant "western".

thanks! now it all makes sense to my thc addled brain.

Advertisement

thanks! now it all makes sense to my thc addled brain.

No problem....it's normally the upper right part around the eye that is the worst.

Hope you and your family are safe and your right,you have to respect these things especially in the gulf.

The water is so hot in the gulf 86-88 degrees ,these things can grow fast.When Katrina hit here it had just crossed land in S.Fla and everyone thought it would Peter out.2-3 days later it put this area under water.

All good over here. The kids don't have school until September 11, but otherwise everything else is slowly returning to normal. Thanks for asking.

I agree about Katrina. It really picked up steam after it went through So. FL.

I didn't evacuate for Harvey, but if Irma somehow makes it into the Gulf of Mexico, we're outta here. I think my neighborhood floods if we get heavy rains again, and the rest of the city would be in bigger trouble, too.

I like what you do on the baseball board, you should take that as a compliment. As for the storms, they might usually turn north, but not always. We just watched one, Harvey that didn't.

Advertisement
Bunch of Monday morning armchair weathermen I tell ya. Always second guessing the local caster, calling the shots acting like they got a degree in meteorology, and calling for the weathermans job when he's made a few bad decision.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I know you meant Hurricane Matthew's effect on Miami, but that was one of the worst storms in the last 20years. Killed over 600, and crushed Haiti. I hope they get spared this time.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Matthewo

Fair and I hope all is well (as can be) with your family. I absolutely concur with the better safe than sorry philosophy too but (and I think we experience it much more here yearly than anywhere else) the local media uses these storms as a vehicle for a week long ratings grab. The term "Cone of Destruction" alone is emblematic of their fear mongering. As I mentioned, they've done more damage to actual hurricane preparedness as a TON of people are now desensitized and won't take ANY precautions. Yeah, that's dumb but so is fear mongering for profit. I digress though- again, glad to hear a fellow Cane/Canes fan avoided the worst of Harvey.

11 am advisory now has it touching the noreen coast of Cuba. Sucks for them, but that should weaken it some before it's turn and the eastern side of South Florida should only get some rotten weather but nothing too serious. However when it makes that turn north that they still think it will, it won't be good for the gulf coast. It will have time to strengthen.

Advertisement
Back