HUGE NCAA DOMINO TO FALL TOMORROW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said that data shows Covid has hit African Americans harder than it has whites. I even provided a link provided by the CDC as to why that is, and it's perfectly reasonable for The Svengali to allude to it as a reason for many athletes to have a different perspective. It's great that athletes will be at a far less likely risk of getting serious affects of this. But it's still their health on the line that everyone seems to be gleefully volunteering them to risk for something as trivial as entertainment, all while not being paid.
But my point is that unless you’re talking about genetic predispositions (sickle cell, for example), while it’s indisputable that Hispanics, AA’s, and probably non-specific lower socio-economic citizens, have a higher incidence of poorer outcomes with Covid, the data currently points to this being due to previously aforementioned comorbidities rather than to any racial characteristics.

It is indisputable that the these comorbidities occur with greater frequency in these populations.

You know the old science saying: correlation is not causation.

So when it comes to young African-American athletes, who would by definition not have any of these comorbidities because they are younger, fitter and have better diets, then the health argument/risk is put more in perspective. It’s scientifically logical to assume that they have no greater risk than white athletes in the same condition.

When you add to that the actual mortality rate of under 25-year-olds with Covid, which is historically less than what it is for flu, that also puts the health risk in perspective.

Nonetheless, if someone is going to opt out, they’re going to opt out and that’s it. They have the license to do so. It’s their right whether it’s scientifically justifiable or not

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here's some light reading, for anyone interested

I put this here for anyone on here who gets it or knows anyone who gets it. HCQ is safe and it works, if used early. Worst case, you're out $10.00, which is the cash price.

I was simply sticking up for Svengali who seemed to be getting dogpiled for something that wasn't that outlandish, because it has shaped many African-American's perspective on Covid.

I disagree about the value of a bachelors degree (even one at UM) in terms of fair compensation, but that's a separate issue. Good talk.

agreed on second point. i went to UM. great school not worth the money they charge and i think everyone knows it. its a good school and on par with UF in terms of quality. it isnt Gtech, duke, etc. and we know that.

Color has nothing to do with it. Higher rates of diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, lack of aerobic exercise, sedentary lifestyle, heart disease and asthma have everything to do with it. Melanin has zero to do with it.
This is absolutely wrong. Nearly all of the maladies you listed are prevalent in the black community, from which a lot of these players come. Melanin may not have anything to do with it, but race definitely does.

Advertisement
What does the color of skin have to do with safety? What about the players and or Universities that want to play?
You **** right I’m bringing skin color into it! Race is a cornerstone issue here. You guys are being incredibly naive about all this.

1. While everyone is at risk, the African-American community has disproportionately experienced infection and death at higher rates than any other ethnic group.

2. Young black men predominately make up the football rosters of P5 schools, which means if they play these games, those players are at a much higher risk of catching Covid (personal health risk) and spreading it to family members and people that look like them in the African american community (see point 1)

3. These are UNPAID college athletes, and they won’t be operating in a bubble like pro basketball or pro hockey.

So, these young black student athletes must take all the risk, and by extension, the black community, as other students on campus watch the games from the safety of their dorm, and while white guys get to cheer or boo comfortably from home as they eat pretzels and drink bud lights.

The media is absolutely going to jump all over this because the optics here look terrible. And if there is a major outbreak among the teams all **** is going to break loose.

The mantra is going to be “Black Lives don’t Matter!!! Football revenue do.”

And the juxtaposition will be striking, since all of the HCBU’s are sitting it out for health and safety reasons.

Here's some light reading, for anyone interested

I put this here for anyone on here who gets it or knows anyone who gets it. HCQ is safe and it works, if used early. Worst case, you're out $10.00, which is the cash price.

Although I doubt anyone except @1LuvCane would take medical advice from an anonymous poster on a football message board, this post has no business here, contradicts the FDA, and should be deleted by the mods.

This is absolutely wrong. Nearly all of the maladies you listed are prevalent in the black community, from which a lot of these players come. Melanin may not have anything to do with it, but race definitely does.
Not wrong.

Those diseases are prevalent in the African-American community but scientifically, it has nothing to do with their race.

Read my follow up posts to this one.

Advertisement
I said that data shows Covid has hit African Americans harder than it has whites. I even provided a link provided by the CDC as to why that is, and it's perfectly reasonable for The Svengali to allude to it as a reason for many athletes to have a different perspective. It's great that athletes will be at a far less likely risk of getting serious affects of this. But it's still their health on the line that everyone seems to be gleefully volunteering them to risk for something as trivial as entertainment, all while not being paid.
This is exactly what I was trying to get across by saying that skin color does matter somewhat as it relates to covid.

Not wrong.

Those diseases are prevalent in the African-American community but scientifically, it has nothing to do with their race.

Read my follow up posts to this one.
C’mon, man. You know those “higher rates” are prevalent in the black community. Also, i know you recognize that after programs foie gras an OL/DL that it’s possible their risk escalates. (Look at the weight some of these guys lose after their playing days)

I’m not going to say these kids are going to get it and die from it - in most cases they won’t even know they have/had it - But, it’s realistic to believe that some might have a legitimate reason to be afraid because these comorbidities run in their family.

My other point: melanin and race are two different things. I know you know that, that’s why I made the distinction in my post.

Advertisement
I was simply sticking up for Svengali who seemed to be getting dogpiled for something that wasn't that outlandish, because it has shaped many African-American's perspective on Covid.

I disagree about the value of a bachelors degree (even one at UM) for compensation, but that's a separate issue. Good talk.

Ask someone who graduates with $200k in debt and can't afford to rent an apartment because of the low pay in their entry level job and other bills.

Most of these kids are not going pro in sports. Look at the stats below. Some of these kids will never see the field in a game.

The average person who wants a career has to prove themselves and put in time. How many jobs out there paying a decent wage don't require a college education, or a technical training/certification of some sort? The problem with all of this is an ideology that every kid who plays college football could/would be earning more in a free market. That is just not true. The elite could earn in a free market.....the masses would not. The masses would earn less than what they receive in their scholarship, room and board, meal plan, free gear, tutoring, etc. Now if you're saying none of these kids would want to go to college unless it's to play football.....well there in lies the problem. Look at the stats again. You'd be setting these kids up to have no future.

The biggest problem with the system is not the compensation of the players. It's the compensation of the coaches (and NCAA) and the arms race, making the optics look bad. If money was set aside for longer-term medical benefits, injury insurance, proper stipends if the kids are not allowed to work, as well as to make the overall cost of college more reasonable to others with lower costs, more scholarships/grants, etc......it would make more sense. Then go the route of the likeness piece. At the end of the day, there has to be some level of balance and fairness. It's college, not the pros.

1596832447000.png

But my point is that unless you’re talking about genetic predispositions (sickle cell, for example), while it’s indisputable that Hispanics, AA’s, and probably non-specific lower socio-economic citizens, have a higher incidence of poorer outcomes with Covid, the data currently points to this being due to previously aforementioned comorbidities rather than to any racial characteristics.

It is indisputable that the these comorbidities occur with greater frequency in these populations.

So when it comes to young African-American athletes, who would by definition not have any of these comorbidities because they are younger, fitter and have better diets, then the health argument/risk is put more in perspective. It’s scientifically logical to assume that they have no greater risk than white athletes in the same condition.

When you add to that the actual mortality rate of under 25-year-olds with Covid, which is historically less than what it is for flu, that also puts the health risk in perspective.

Nonetheless, if someone is going to opt out, they’re going to opt out and that’s it. They have the license to do so. It’s their right whether it’s scientifically justifiable or not
Right, I didn't mean to insinuate I thought blacks were biologically predisposed to being affected. I was speaking more to the societal issues like the ones the CDC identified.

And yea, unless a guy like Rousseau is really unlucky and happens to fall into that small percentage, there's no doubt he'd be fine. But it's still asking him to play Russian Roulette with his health.

Ask someone who graduates with $200k in debt and can't afford to rent an apartment because of the low pay in their entry level job and other bills.

Most of these kids are not going pro in sports. Look at the stats below. Some of these kids will never see the field in a game.

The average person who wants a career has to prove themselves and put in time. How many jobs out there paying a decent wage don't require a college education, or a technical training/certification of some sort? The problem with all of this is an ideology that every kid who plays college football could/would be earning more in a free market. That is just not true. The elite could earn in a free market.....the masses would not. The masses would earn less than what they receive in their scholarship, room and board, meal plan, free gear, tutoring, etc. Now if you're saying none of these kids would want to go to college unless it's to play football.....well there in lies the problem. Look at the stats again. You'd be setting these kids up to have no future.

The biggest problem with the system is not the compensation of the players. It's the compensation of the coaches (and NCAA) and the arms race, making the optics look bad. If money was set aside for longer-term medical benefits, injury insurance, proper stipends if the kids are not allowed to work, as well as to make the overall cost of college more reasonable to others with lower costs, more scholarships/grants, etc......it would make more sense. Then go the route of the likeness piece. At the end of the day, there has to be some level of balance and fairness. It's college, not the pros.

View attachment 126449
I was speaking more to the depreciating value of undergrad vs the increasing importance/necessity of grad school in job market. Getting a free ride for bachelors degree in the 1950s was far greater than today, despite cost increase.

Advertisement

I see what you're saying here and certainly agree with your point about correlation vs causation. Initially, I got the impression that you were denying race as a correlative factor.

The reason I brought up race in the first place was in response to someone saying that skin color has nothing to do with covid or players dropping out, which I didn't agree with due to the disproportionate impact on the AA community, even if that disproportionate impact results from correlation. My point was well worded by Dan in that the perspective the players have may differ as a result of being a part of that disproportionately impacted community, even if they themselves are at a lower risk than the average person in the U.S.

As much as I want to see football, I can't help but feel a bit gross about the fact that we can all acknowledge disproportionate impacts from covid on minorities and then advocate for members of the most impacted minority to risk becoming a part of those statistics and act as if that isn't part of the problem.

This is a thread about a college football team opting out for 2020 right?!? I got confused after page 1!

if so... f dem puzzies!

GO CANES

I was speaking more to the depreciating value of undergrad vs the increasing importance/necessity of grad school in job market. Getting a free ride for bachelors degree in the 1950s was far greater than today, despite cost increase.
The value of an undergrad is depreciated when it's from certain schools (especially online or local community colleges) or certain majors.

You can't pursue grad school without undergrad.....and it's difficult to secure a decent jobs without either one. The job market is much more competitive now than it was in the 50's with so many jobs being outsourced. Having no degree puts you at a severe disadvantage, even if the advantage of the degree isn't what it once was.

I’d say it right to your face.

You don’t have a different viewpoint, you were peddling misinformation. There’s a difference.

I have patience for people that have differing opinions. I don’t have patience for idiots that tell lies.
Where’s the misinformation tough guy?
A thought, viewpoint, opinion is peddling misinformation? What information did I cite as fact to use to try to stir up the masses?

And know you **** well you wouldn’t say nothing to anyone’s face Billy Bad ***.

Just stop being such a magnanimous douche when someone dares bring up that cancelling the season may actually be In the best interest of the players and not in the best interest of armchair quarterbacks like you. I’d love to know what kind of advice you would give your son, nephew or grandson if they contemplated sitting out for health related reasons. I wonder if you would call him a ***** or chicken sh**.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back