How many do we get?

From that picture, we get ZERO.

But you guys need to look at the bigger picture, and what that is, I have no idea.

Advertisement
I think the bigger picture is a little more like this, though those dudes are good players they are surely not the only good ones in SoFla. If we land Irvin and Johnson as DB's i really don't care where any of those other db in that pic go. Its been said that Cole will probably flip. We do have a few of his buddies on our current roster.
Our QB situation will obviously push an elite kid out of consideration for this class. I dont care what Bama does. This is So Fla and these kids want to play NOW. Just ask Brissett. With Kaaya and Olsen here I doubt we land a major target this cycle at qb.
It sucks to lose out on the two WR in that pic but the story is pretty well known for Phillips and why he will not be around here. Ridley will hurt but can be softened by some of the other targets on our radar. Peete for one.
As for Coney, he is a solid backer but I am sure we can find others if he is dead set on UF. However, I am pretty sure we aren't just letting him walk away. I think we are battling for him. Not much more you can ask for.

All in all I think we only get Cole. I think TH3 and Grace put the pressure on him late to join the party. And as another poster stated if you look at the schools some of these guys attend there is no doubt they wont be here. For whatever reason we have not pushed hard at AH. Not sure the story there but we don't.

At no point do these 8 guys define SoFla recruiting this year though. There seems to be a plethora of talent down south every year and we are pushing hard for guys. I though it was telling when AG said we do Fla last in a interview about where his recruiting was at and that they were currently working out of state. Its become very obvious that the kids in SoFla want to be recruited up to the last minute. So, connect early, keep in touch and push really hard late seems like the obvious strategy. I like it. To me it shows AG is learning the landscape and adapting his strategy. We get hammered for getting on kids too early (reaches) and we get hammered by players for getting on them late, so this seems like the best approach. Then go OOS and attack very particular players and push hard for them. I think AG is a good recruiter. I guess I am one of the only...

Gone are the days of keeping everyone at home. Forever.

LSU is having the same problem right now. Clemson, Texas A&M, Alabama, and a few other BCS programs are recruiting their backyard, with surprising success given LSU's record the past several seasons.

Cameron Robinson, OT -- Bama -- Thought to be LSU lock early in the process

Speedy Noil, WR -- TAMU -- Was also supposed to be an LSU lock

Hootie Jones, S -- Bama, Gerald Willis, DE -- Florida, Kenny Young, LB -- UCLA, Cameron Sims, WR -- Bama, Garrald McDowell, DT -- Ole Miss

LSU did get their share of quality kids: Quinn, Harris, Godcheaux, Brumfield, Washington... but the point is that the talent rich areas are being recruited heavily, and even a program with LSU's stature can't keep all the good ones at home in this current landscape. It's just not possible anymore, in Dade/Broward and the state of Louisiana that LSU built national champions with.

That was an anomaly, thats not gonna happen to LSU again, but we see it year after year in SoFla

Oh, but it will happen. Watch the coming weeks. Clemson will snag two.

Not an anomaly, it's the new normal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back