How is Butch Davis not in the UMHOF?

Cribby; I’m staring at a leather coat right now. Don’t turn this into a scene from Beat It.
chris-farley-mind-blown.gif

Advertisement
I was on the boards (grassy) back during that time and we used to KILL Butch and his game day decisions. Despite having a staff of stellar coaches, he sucked as a gameday coach.

I think you'll find most people that were around back then all thought this way.

This. +100

("Who is RandomWalk"?)
- The Sequal to Atlas Shrugged

Schnellenberger never did it again, he's in the UM Sports Hall of Fame.

Erickson never did it again, he's in the UM Sports Hall of Fame.

Coker never did it again, he's in the UM Sports Hall of Fame.

A lot of you dopes are massive losers who have no idea who is even IN the UM SHOF or who should be in the UM SHOF, but you are going to spit ignorance like clowns because you want to be mopey contrarians.

The UM Sports Hall of Fame has NOTHING to do with a coach's "career" beyond his time at UM. Stop acting like an *******.
Apples and oranges comparisons here. Each one of the coaches mentioned obviously stepped into the UM Head Football Coach position under different circumstances including Butch. I admire what Butch did during his tenure. Regardless of the circumstances, he left a 💩 taste in a lot of fans mouths when he left including mine.

Over 20 years have passed since Butch left. His “legacy” will remain controversial until **** freezes over. Continually bringing up that controversy will continue to incite the debate between Butch defenders and detractors.

Apples and oranges comparisons here. Each one of the coaches mentioned obviously stepped into the UM Head Football Coach position under different circumstances including Butch. I admire what Butch did during his tenure. Regardless of the circumstances, he left a 💩 taste in a lot of fans mouths when he left including mine.

Over 20 years have passed since Butch left. His “legacy” will remain controversial until **** freezes over. Continually bringing up that controversy will continue to incite the debate between Butch defenders and detractors.

You’re making hulk mad…you’re not going to like mad hulk….

Advertisement
You really need to stop.

Do you know what just happened? The NFL HOF inductions were just announced (three UM players who played for Butch were not chosen) and the UM SHOF induction ceremony is coming up shortly.

So this is a natural time period to discuss such things. It's not an "invitation to the usual suspects to attack each other".

To be direct, I notice that you didn't dispute the fact that the Butch-haters have been pulling this crap since the mid-1990s. So don't act like "there's good people on both sides" when one side has been carrying tiki torches and grudges for nearly 30 years.

It's natural to wonder why Butch has been snubbed by the UM Sports Hall of Fame. ****, we inducted Coker AND we fired him.
You just reinforced my point. Any mention of Butch, be it related to any other subject like the NFLHOF and/or the UM SHOF, will incite the debate between his defenders and detractors.

There was no need for me to dispute his haters (your word) because that’s not the point I was trying to make.

Let me be clear. My point is that ANY mention of Butch for whatever reason, will incite the defenders and detractors. Knowing that, if one has been on CIS longer than 24 hours, what purpose does it serve to stir up the masses other than being a glutton for punishment.

We dont give af how you feel about it being "used by others". If you dont know why "others" use that word, than you are just being obtuse.
Nor do I give a **** what you think.

There, I feel better.

If you don't understand why it's so awful, you are being far more than obtuse*.

*kudos for using it though

Last edited:

The bolded is one of the most honest statements I’ve seen.

Advertisement
Schnellenberger never did it again, he's in the UM Sports Hall of Fame.

Erickson never did it again, he's in the UM Sports Hall of Fame.

Coker never did it again, he's in the UM Sports Hall of Fame.

A lot of you dopes are massive losers who have no idea who is even IN the UM SHOF or who should be in the UM SHOF, but you are going to spit ignorance like clowns because you want to be mopey contrarians.

The UM Sports Hall of Fame has NOTHING to do with a coach's "career" beyond his time at UM. Stop acting like an *******.

The coaches you mentioned won titles. What did Davis win at UM.

I had the pleasure of meeting Butch Davis and talking with him over a weekend. I was a little reluctant to cut in to him but when I did he was gracious and when i told him I was an alum of the U that’s all we talked about the whole weekend. It was his first year with the browns and we never talked nfl. When we parted I got the sincere impression that he was making the big money but his heart was in Miami. He loved talking passionately about the U. Unbeknown to me he approached an assistant of mine to get my home address He sent me a great letter on browns stationary along with coaches shirts from the U. I believe he wanted to finish what he started at the U. Our last championship team was his.

The bolded is one of the most honest statements I’ve seen.
I have no ill will towards Butch. It’s been over 20 years since all that took place and if someone is holding on to their feelings one way or another still yet, they need some serious counseling.

I had the pleasure of meeting Butch Davis and talking with him over a weekend. I was a little reluctant to cut in to him but when I did he was gracious and when i told him I was an alum of the U that’s all we talked about the whole weekend. It was his first year with the browns and we never talked nfl. When we parted I got the sincere impression that he was making the big money but his heart was in Miami. He loved talking passionately about the U. Unbeknown to me he approached an assistant of mine to get my home address He sent me a great letter on browns stationary along with coaches shirts from the U. I believe he wanted to finish what he started at the U. Our last championship team was his.
Thanks for posting. Not surprising but nice to read. I’m sure it was as much about pride (respect) as it was the money. In the end, meekness was probably the better choice. Hard attribute to learn. Doesn’t come natural.

Advertisement
Nor do I give a [****] what you think.

There, I feel better.

If you don't understand why it's so awful, you are being far more than obtuse*.

*kudos for using it though

Please stop using misspellings of curse words. Just set your profanity filter to the appropriate setting and use the word. So long as it isn't bigoted language or a personal insult, you'll be fine.

Advertisement
I don't think it's black and white with me at all. I think I'm intellectually honest about him. I am not anti-Butch, I appreciate him for what he was to UM. Right guy at the time, all-time talent guy.

So if Jimmy Johnson doesn't win the 1987 National Championship and get that ring for life he's looked differently? OF COURSE! But he did win the 1987 National Championship, he did get that ring. He's a National Champion, and that hardware is forever. Add in that he had us in the top 1-3 perennially for the final 80% of his tenure, things were humming.

Butch recruited great and left the cupboard full. Jimmy recruited great and left the cupboard full, but also had UM as the dominant program in all of CFB for most of his time, and again, CHAMPION, and all the other accomplishments I previously mentioned.

Come on, mang. :)

To be fair, each one walked into their UM HC'ing careers under vastly different circumstances. Not trying to take anything away from JJ b/c he's my favorite UM HC by far. To me he would've been Saban before Saban.

To be fair, each one walked into their UM HC'ing careers under vastly different circumstances. Not trying to take anything away from JJ b/c he's my favorite UM HC by far. To me he would've been Saban before Saban.

Absolutely, and Butch wins the all-time reclamation award for sure (his evals were incredible!) but remember, this context is Hall of Fame credentials.

Also I am not the one who decided it would be a good idea to compare Butch Davis to Jimmy Johnson. :)

Advertisement
Back