How is Butch Davis not in the UMHOF?

Advertisement
People who constantly bring up sanctions, conveniently to forget we played for the national championship what seems like nearly every year in the decade or so leading up to the day the hammer dropped.

We were THE program in college football, despite all the issues. Kids grew up watching the Canes completely dominate everyone. It was still a hugely attractive school locally and nationally.

The reality is Butch never once pulled off a big upset. He never out schemed a single opponent. When sanctions were hurting us we sucked. When we came out of them, we got better.

He only won when he accumulated overwhelming talent, which he obviously deserves ALL the credit for.

But this program was far from dead in the water as some make it seem. We took our lumps and kept on winning as we had done in the years preceding the sanctions.

The reality is Butch never once pulled off a big upset.

31A2ED2D-AD8C-49F8-BEDF-7BA4A177A7E8.jpeg

I just spoke with someone who is a friend of Butch's and also on the HOF committee (former player).

If Butch gets in HOF, it will almost certainly be after Butch draws his last breath.

Advertisement
How do you have Soldy in there and not Butch? If it was an exclusive club, then I would understand as he never actually won a NC as a head coach. However, he was personally instrumental in at least two of them, just like Soldy. He is Miami and his contributions during our best times should be recognized like Kehoe and Soldy.

I think you're the first to bring up that his time as DL and DC here should be considered as well. And I agree, it should be part of the equation. Whether it gets him there or not, I dunno.

Well it is called Head “Coach “ . How stupid of me to judge a coach on his actual game day coaching lol. I guess I am the stupid one.
Game day coaching is only one factor.

Erickson was a good border-line great game day coach, but he also had bad losses (BYU, Alabama, Arizona) as well as depleting the roster and running the program into sanctions. Overall, would anyone consider him a good coach and a "credit" to the program?

Just saying.

Butch built one **** of a roster but unfortunately he committed career suicide by leaving when he did and never winning one ring. I think if he stays he would of won 2 Nattys and probably coached here another 10+ years. It is crazy hes not in the UM Hall of fame though

Advertisement
People who constantly bring up sanctions, conveniently to forget we played for the national championship what seems like nearly every year in the decade or so leading up to the day the hammer dropped.

We were THE program in college football, despite all the issues. Kids grew up watching the Canes completely dominate everyone. It was still a hugely attractive school locally and nationally.

The reality is Butch never once pulled off a big upset. He never out schemed a single opponent. When sanctions were hurting us we sucked. When we came out of them, we got better.

He only won when he accumulated overwhelming talent, which he obviously deserves ALL the credit for.

But this program was far from dead in the water as some make it seem. We took our lumps and kept on winning as we had done in the years preceding the sanctions.
Beating the number 3 team in the country while unranked isn't a big upset? Stick to your stupid *** 15-0 shtick.

This is complete and utter bull****.

In 1993, we went from playing in the National Championship game the year before to 9-3 under Erickson. Yes, we went 10-2 in 1994 (and I don't care what anyone says, that was NOT a "national championship game" against Nebraska because even if we won the game, undefeated Pedo State would have won the national championship). But in 1995, in Butch's FIRST YEAR, we also went 8-3 and won the Big East (though we self-banned from the bowl game). And in 1996, we went 9-3 and won the Big East again, as well as a bowl game.

And as for the LIE of "Butch never once pulled off a big upset", that's simply not true.

We beat a higher-ranked Syracuse team in 1995.
We beat a higher-ranked West Virginia team AND a higher-ranked Syracuse team in 1996 (both games on the road).
We beat a higher ranked West Virginia team (on the road) AND the NUMBER-THREE-RANKED UCLA Bruins at home in 1998.
We beat #9 Ohio Taint in the kickoff-classic and higher-ranked GaTech in the bowl game in 1999.
We beat NUMBER-ONE-RANKED F$U and NUMBER-TWO-RANKED VaTech, both games in the Orange Bowl in 2000., both games we were lower-ranked.

Again...WHAT IN THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

You just make **** up and hope that nobody calls you out for your lies.

I was on the boards (grassy) back during that time and we used to KILL Butch and his game day decisions. Despite having a staff of stellar coaches, he sucked as a gameday coach.

I think you'll find most people that were around back then all thought this way.
I was on grassy back then also and most also felt he gradually got better as the roster improved and coaches changed (funny how that happens).

I also remember a poster on grassy who attended the game at Washington. At that time, Dorsey was in his first full year starting as a true sophomore and Washington was his first road start. This poster stayed at the same hotel as the refereeing crew. He claimed he witnessed the crew laughing and joking about how they "jobbed" UM in that game. FSU was also not a certain game. They were defending national champs with the longest unbeaten streak in the country and had beaten us 5 straight.

The 2000 team may well have been a better team than 2001 by the end of the year but no one on the grassy thought we were championship material let alone being better than the greatest team all time. Who was responsible for their growth and development?

I was on grassy back then also and most also felt he gradually got better as the roster improved and coaches changed (funny how that happens).

I also remember a poster on grassy who attended the game at Washington. At that time, Dorsey was in his first full year starting as a true sophomore and Washington was his first road start. This poster stayed at the same hotel as the refereeing crew. He claimed he witnessed the crew laughing and joking about how they "jobbed" UM in that game. FSU was also not a certain game. They were defending national champs with the longest unbeaten streak in the country and had beaten us 5 straight.

The 2000 team may well have been a better team than 2001 by the end of the year but no one on the grassy thought we were championship material let alone being better than the greatest team all time. Who was responsible for their growth and development?

I disagree 100%. I know many of us knew we would give FSU a game, if not straight out beat them for the MNC at the time. ****, I remember reading national writers say the same thing that we were the best team in the country by year end.

Advertisement
I disagree 100%. I know many of us knew we would give FSU a game, if not straight out beat them for the MNC at the time. ****, I remember reading national writers say the same thing that we were the best team in the country by year end.
I'm talking about at the start of the year. After Washington, as the team came together, we became more confident and thought we'd give them a game, but it was still uncertain. By the end of the year, everyone thought we were the best, myself included.

How do you have Soldy in there and not Butch? If it was an exclusive club, then I would understand as he never actually won a NC as a head coach. However, he was personally instrumental in at least two of them, just like Soldy. He is Miami and his contributions during our best times should be recognized like Kehoe and Soldy.

Just to fill in on what you said, Butch recruited balls to the wall for JJ. JJ won a National - that's ONE.

JJ handed his team over to Dennis - who won a couple Nationals - recruited by Butch - that's TWO.

Butch handed Clappy that Natonal Championship team - that's ONE - and damned near won Two.

So total - that's 4 of our Nationals recruited by Butch.

Proof he was part of it? As Butch's recruits graduated - UM football tanked.

And we're STILL not back.

I'm talking about at the start of the year. After Washington, as the team came together, we became more confident and thought we'd give them a game, but it was still uncertain. By the end of the year, everyone thought we were the best, myself included.

If not mistaken, that was the first or second year of the computer rankings, I think? One of the big components was RUTS. St. Bobby and Co figured it out before we did. How they jumped us even though we beat them head to head (should've trumped but didn't).

Advertisement
I hear ya brother but Canes fans aren’t very good at the coulda, woulda, shoulda game. Ya gotta win a natty otherwise fans are going to ride you. ****, Erickson won 2 ships and Coker 1 and some Cane fans call one a drunk and the other Clappy. So there’s no way in **** Butch gets a pass.

What makes you think a guy like, Butch who never won here , is going to get a pass? That **** ain’t happening! Schnelly and JJ are the true coaching Gawds at UM. Unfortunately for Butch, he chose to leave and not finish what he started. Doesn’t mean he didn’t do a great job assembling the best college football team ever. He just didn’t win and went out like a ***** and he will never be forgiven by some.

Cane fans are gonna be Cane fans and give him **** for never winning a natty and for the way he went out. He’s never gonna be in the GOAT coaching conversation. The only seats at that table currently belong to Howard and Jimmy.

I never said Butch is going to get a pass.

Too many dumbasses - mostly Johnny-Come-Lately - to ensure that will never happen.

It is my hope they know as much about fornicating as they do about UM football back then - as I sure would hate to see their offspring.

If not mistaken, that was the first or second year of the computer rankings, I think? One of the big components was RUTS. St. Bobby and Co figured it out before we did. How they jumped us even though we beat them head to head (should've trumped but didn't).
Yep, they jumped us the week we beat La Tech. Tech scored 31 points so the margin of victory wasn't much.

The next year, they changed the formula to include head-to-head. :hammering-head:

Last edited:
This is complete and utter bull****.

In 1993, we went from playing in the National Championship game the year before to 9-3 under Erickson. Yes, we went 10-2 in 1994 (and I don't care what anyone says, that was NOT a "national championship game" against Nebraska because even if we won the game, undefeated Pedo State would have won the national championship). But in 1995, in Butch's FIRST YEAR, we also went 8-3 and won the Big East (though we self-banned from the bowl game). And in 1996, we went 9-3 and won the Big East again, as well as a bowl game.

And as for the LIE of "Butch never once pulled off a big upset", that's simply not true.

We beat a higher-ranked Syracuse team in 1995.
We beat a higher-ranked West Virginia team AND a higher-ranked Syracuse team in 1996 (both games on the road).
We beat a higher ranked West Virginia team (on the road) AND the NUMBER-THREE-RANKED UCLA Bruins at home in 1998.
We beat #9 Ohio Taint in the kickoff-classic and higher-ranked GaTech in the bowl game in 1999.
We beat NUMBER-ONE-RANKED F$U and NUMBER-TWO-RANKED VaTech, both games in the Orange Bowl in 2000., both games we were lower-ranked.

Again...WHAT IN THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

You just make **** up and hope that nobody calls you out for your lies.

Wow we beat a “higher ranked” West Virginia and Georgia Tech team before the sanctions really decimated us? And an Ohio State team that finished 6-6 in 1999??

In 2000, when he finally beat FSU and VT after going 0-10 the previous 5 seasons, the vast majority by blowout, we had an unbelievably talented team. Which is exactly what I said in my post.

So calm down.

Wow we beat a “higher ranked” West Virginia and Georgia Tech team before the sanctions really decimated us? And an Ohio State team that finished 6-6 in 1999??

In 2000, when he finally beat FSU and VT after going 0-10 the previous 5 seasons, the vast majority by blowout, we had an unbelievably talented team. Which is exactly what I said in my post.

So calm down.

Go **** off. This is the bullcrap you always pull. I don't give a **** where Ohio State "ended up", they were #9 when we beat them. IT'S AN UPSET, and not even a toxic Butch-hater like yourself can change that.

It's YOUR WORDS. You said Butch had NO UPSETS. You can't come back now and try to backpedal with qualifiers and excuses and exceptions.

Besides, I notice you didn't mention UCLA at all. AT ALL.

You're a liar. That's just what you are.

Advertisement
Back