How far can Golden and the present staff take us?

Advertisement
Sounds to me like Golden plans to have the offense sit on the ball to protect his defense like we did his first year here.

That year we were 114th in the nation in plays per game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game?date=2012-01-09

Digging a little deeper, it turns out that we were 15th in most clock time used per play (28.7 seconds) in 2011. We still had a deficit TOP because the offense was not efficient. In 2012 we speed it up and we still aren't efficient. Same goes for 2013.

For all the much deserved criticism the defense gets, the offense doesn't smell so sweet either.

Sounds to me like Golden plans to have the offense sit on the ball to protect his defense like we did his first year here.

That year we were 114th in the nation in plays per game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game?date=2012-01-09

Digging a little deeper, it turns out that we were 15th in most clock time used per play (28.7 seconds) in 2011. We still had a deficit TOP because the offense was not efficient. In 2012 we speed it up and we still aren't efficient. Same goes for 2013.

For all the much deserved criticism the defense gets, the offense doesn't smell so sweet either.

We were a feast or famine offense, mixing a lot of big plays with quite a few 3 and outs. It got even more lopsided once Duke went down, as we had to rely even more on big passing plays.

And no, I don't think Golden's strategy is going to be to take more time before each play. I think it's to get us into more 3rd and manageable situations. I think focus will be on pounding the rock, short-intermediate pass plays, with the occasional (much less frequent) deep pass off of play action.

The fact is both of the coordinators are not very good....one runs the system that the head coach tells him to run, and the other is a good recruiter.

But therein lies the problem with this staff. We don't have any tacticians.....guys that can prepare for a game and play chess. This is a badly coached football team and it shows up on BOTH sides of the ball.

And guess what...part of being a good head coach is the ability to spot and surround yourself with good coaching talent....one of several reasons why Golden is a failure.

The fact is both of the coordinators are not very good....one runs the system that the head coach tells him to run, and the other is a good recruiter.

But therein lies the problem with this staff. We don't have any tacticians.....guys that can prepare for a game and play chess. This is a badly coached football team and it shows up on BOTH sides of the ball.

And guess what...part of being a good head coach is the ability to spot and surround yourself with good coaching talent....one of several reasons why Golden is a failure.

I think the jury is still out on Coley. He lost his most important weapon in Duke and then the passing threat in Dorsett that made Morris look halfway decent. Also the critical work he brought as a recruiter cannot be overstated and I think that should earn him a little bit of a reprieve.

Advertisement

I think the jury is still out on Coley. He lost his most important weapon in Duke and then the passing threat in Dorsett that made Morris look halfway decent. Also the critical work he brought as a recruiter cannot be overstated and I think that should earn him a little bit of a reprieve.

As a recruiter, who is he tied to in this last class?

I buy that Coley can recruit, but I'm iffy on his ability as an OC. I think he has good plays in his playbook as there were times where the offense looked nice. What I don't like is that he seems to like fade/streak routes too much. I feel like 60% or more of our passing plays the receivers only ran deep routes. The other 40% seemed like only hitch routes to the outside. I know someone is going to say he was trying to limit Morris ******** up, but in reality, all it did was ***** up our entire offense and Morris will ***** up anyways.

Yearby is the only one I know of that doesn't come without Coley.

I buy that Coley can recruit, but I'm iffy on his ability as an OC. I think he has good plays in his playbook as there were times where the offense looked nice. What I don't like is that he seems to like fade/streak routes too much. I feel like 60% or more of our passing plays the receivers only ran deep routes. The other 40% seemed like only hitch routes to the outside. I know someone is going to say he was trying to limit Morris ******** up, but in reality, all it did was ***** up our entire offense and Morris will ***** up anyways.

Solid points. I'm iffy as well, but it was his first year calling plays on a big stage. I'm very interested to see if he changes his play calling or has grown as a coordinator at all now that he has different players and has tested a full year of what does work and what doesn't work. If he has D'Onofrio type stubbornness and refuses to make any changes/alterations to what didn't work this year, that is a major red flag.

Advertisement

247 lists him as the primary recruiter for...

1. Yearby.
2. Kaaya.
3. Gray.
4. Rosier.

247 lists him as the secondary recruiter for...

1. Mayes.
2. Thomas.
3. Smith.
4. Jackson.
5. Brady.

So of the 26 commits, Coley had his hand in 9 of them and he was the sole recruiter that got us our two best and most important recruits. If we don't have Coley, do we get either Yearby or Kaaya? Probably not.

1. Yearby.
2. Kaaya.
3. Gray.
4. Rosier.

1. Mayes.
2. Thomas.
3. Smith.
4. Jackson.
5. Brady.

So of the 26 commits, Coley had his hand in 9 of them and he was the sole recruiter that got us our two best and most important recruits. If we don't have Coley, do we get either Yearby or Kaaya? Probably not.

Thanks for the education. That's a pretty nice haul.

1. Yearby.
2. Kaaya.
3. Gray.
4. Rosier.

1. Mayes.
2. Thomas.
3. Smith.
4. Jackson.
5. Brady.

Thanks for the education. That's a pretty nice haul.

No problem.

Advertisement
I think the better question is how low can they bring us. That's what's on everyone's mind

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back