How far are we away

M3N

Senior
After watching these conference championship games I kept sayin how far are we away from being this competitive.

Clemson with 6th straight and no signs of slowing down.
Ohio state with 5 straight and are recruiting at a ridiculous level.

Alabama continues is historic run.

The more I watch.. the more I realize we are not even close.

These teams have an army of assistants and analysts. The teams are incredibly prepared and to the point where you have to question do they even go to class?

I’m watching D. Smith catch 15 for almost 200 and two TDS. Meanwhile we struggle getting Brevin Jordan the ball 4 times a game.

We need some serious changes to improve to that level of play and that includes Lashlees offense, S&C, etc.

Advertisement
Solution
In 2013, Clemson lost 51-14 to FSU and looked like a total fraud despite a good record. And that was three years into their successful run.

Keep recruiting, keep tweaking, and keep beating the teams you’re supposed to beat.
After watching these conference championship games I kept sayin how far are we away from being this competitive.

These teams have an army of assistants and analysts. The teams are incredibly prepared and to the point where you have to question do they even go to class?

I’m watching D. Smith catch 15 for almost 200 and two TDS. Meanwhile we struggle getting Brevin Jordan the ball 4 times a game.

We need some serious changes to improve to that level of play and that includes Lashlees offense, S&C, etc.
Correct. Our Canes are nowhere close to being competitve with the consistent CFBPO teams.

With that said, they took a step upward from last season's disaster.

Key to offseason is Manuela bringing in a DC talent equivalent (or better) of de facto HC Lashlee (and Justice) and what they have done on O.

Advertisement
We’re so far off it’s depressing...

Without major changes from the top down in the UM administration our ceiling will be the Coastal champs. Yea we may catch lightning in a bottle once every 5-10 years or so, but we just can’t hang in the current arms race we see going on now.

In 2013, Clemson lost 51-14 to FSU and looked like a total fraud despite a good record. And that was three years into their successful run.

Keep recruiting, keep tweaking, and keep beating the teams you’re supposed to beat.
I’d say there’s a difference between a blowout to future national champion with #1 overall QB, future all pro RB, and a ton of NFL talent.

Not to mention, at that time, FSU was recruiting at the same level as the Clemsons, Bamas, and OSUs.

UNC potentially has the #1 overall QB and two very good RBs, but the rest of their roster isn’t close to that FSU team

Advertisement

We need some serious changes to improve to that level of play and that includes Lashlees offense, S&C,

Its coaching plain and simple. Alabama-Saban, Clemson Swinney,, Ohio st Meyer to Day, Oklahoma Stoops to Riley these guys develop their players.

Advertisement
I’d say there’s a difference between a blowout to future national champion with #1 overall QB, future all pro RB, and a ton of NFL talent.

Not to mention, at that time, FSU was recruiting at the same level as the Clemsons, Bamas, and OSUs.

UNC potentially has the #1 overall QB and two very good RBs, but the rest of their roster isn’t close to that FSU team
It can happen quicker than you think, but you have to have the right leadership. And, though I really want to believe in Diaz … he hasn’t shown me anything that says he’s the one. Until he’s gone I’ll support him but …

In reality we are another top class away without heavy defections and 3-4 portal players to fix the roster. After that we need a real new blood DC and scheme. If not hitting the lottery on a new coach. All this just to be a consistent second group contender.

Advertisement
It can happen quicker than you think, but you have to have the right leadership. And, though I really want to believe in Diaz … he hasn’t shown me anything that says he’s the one. Until he’s gone I’ll support him but …
That used to be more possible than now. With as good of a class as we just had we need 1 of 2 things to happen.

1. We need to improve recruiting even further. As I’ve said in recruiting threads, outside of Williams and Taylor, our commits wouldn’t move the needle at the top 3-4 programs as far as ranking goes. That leads me to #2.

2. We need to be the best evaluators and developers in the country. Thus far, this regime has shown no signs of that. In order to overcome the recruiting disadvantages, we have to maximize nearly everyone we get. Even then, it’s tough just because of the caliber of athletes those top schools have and the support staffs they have. Not only do they get the best athletes, they have an army of support staff insuring they develop their players as well as anyone.

This.... This is one of the biggest differences. I don't know if it's because we're a private school or what but supposedly we only have a few, compared to the big teams. It's a reason why the Alabama's and Clemson's operate like a **** NFL team. Not to mention how Alabama literally is a farm for coaching. They have guys who are D-1 worthy head coaches taking analyst positions just to get a hired the very next yr. I was told Clemson has literally 100 assistants and it shows! Now I know that number is a bit exaggerated but you get the point.

I would agree with several in that we are not that close at all. It starts with coaching and UM doesn't want to hire the best. Just watch the elite teams and how they tackle as opposed as we play two hand touch. There is a quite a discrepancy to day the least. We played two very good teams this year and we got killed. We were never in these ballgames.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back