How far are we away

M3N

Senior
After watching these conference championship games I kept sayin how far are we away from being this competitive.

Clemson with 6th straight and no signs of slowing down.
Ohio state with 5 straight and are recruiting at a ridiculous level.

Alabama continues is historic run.

The more I watch.. the more I realize we are not even close.

These teams have an army of assistants and analysts. The teams are incredibly prepared and to the point where you have to question do they even go to class?

I’m watching D. Smith catch 15 for almost 200 and two TDS. Meanwhile we struggle getting Brevin Jordan the ball 4 times a game.

We need some serious changes to improve to that level of play and that includes Lashlees offense, S&C, etc.

Advertisement
Solution
In 2013, Clemson lost 51-14 to FSU and looked like a total fraud despite a good record. And that was three years into their successful run.

Keep recruiting, keep tweaking, and keep beating the teams you’re supposed to beat.
After watching these conference championship games I kept sayin how far are we away from being this competitive.

These teams have an army of assistants and analysts. The teams are incredibly prepared and to the point where you have to question do they even go to class?

I’m watching D. Smith catch 15 for almost 200 and two TDS. Meanwhile we struggle getting Brevin Jordan the ball 4 times a game.

We need some serious changes to improve to that level of play and that includes Lashlees offense, S&C, etc.
Correct. Our Canes are nowhere close to being competitve with the consistent CFBPO teams.

With that said, they took a step upward from last season's disaster.

Key to offseason is Manuela bringing in a DC talent equivalent (or better) of de facto HC Lashlee (and Justice) and what they have done on O.

I’d say there’s a difference between a blowout to future national champion with #1 overall QB, future all pro RB, and a ton of NFL talent.

Not to mention, at that time, FSU was recruiting at the same level as the Clemsons, Bamas, and OSUs.

UNC potentially has the #1 overall QB and two very good RBs, but the rest of their roster isn’t close to that FSU team
It can happen quicker than you think, but you have to have the right leadership. And, though I really want to believe in Diaz … he hasn’t shown me anything that says he’s the one. Until he’s gone I’ll support him but …

Two things: 1. What just happend with the website, theres this reddit like rating system on the right of everyones comment. Ew.

2. The gap isnt just that wide because we as a team are far away from the big ones. Its also because the big ones keep distancing themselves from the rest. If you want to beat Bama, Clemson and Ohio State, you have to hope for them making a ****load of errors and then you have to play out of your mind.

Let’s be clear... Miami has to compete against “consistent” programs who use white collar methods WE MADE POPULAR to pay kids to come (AKA bags). When the tide turns even though it’s out in the open that they did something illegal, just take a bowl ban slap on the wrist and continue on. The media (ran by the powerhouse conglomerate Disney) identifies the teams that are ratings draws. Boomers who’s teams got fist fûcked in the 80s and early 2000s that now control NARRATIVES via ESPN. The narrative is to NEVER put Miami in the convo again. So the sorry *** AP, ESPN, and NCAA work Diligently to keep Miami out the conversation even when we trend up. ND stayed in the top 4 of the AP and will likely be 4 in the playoff and we’ll probably see ND Clemson a THIRD time this season cause of RATINGS. Miami is ahead of UNC in conference ratings and probably won’t be in the orange bowl cause of RATINGS behind UNC. People hate Miami, it’s residents and what it’s like when it’s successful but will blow thousands to be there when it’s said and done but if you let the media decide how far we are? We’ll NEVER be back.

Advertisement
Advertisement
In 2013, Clemson lost 51-14 to FSU and looked like a total fraud despite a good record. And that was three years into their successful run.

Keep recruiting, keep tweaking, and keep beating the teams you’re supposed to beat.

In reality we are another top class away without heavy defections and 3-4 portal players to fix the roster. After that we need a real new blood DC and scheme. If not hitting the lottery on a new coach. All this just to be a consistent second group contender.

That used to be more possible than now. With as good of a class as we just had we need 1 of 2 things to happen.

1. We need to improve recruiting even further. As I’ve said in recruiting threads, outside of Williams and Taylor, our commits wouldn’t move the needle at the top 3-4 programs as far as ranking goes. That leads me to #2.

2. We need to be the best evaluators and developers in the country. Thus far, this regime has shown no signs of that. In order to overcome the recruiting disadvantages, we have to maximize nearly everyone we get. Even then, it’s tough just because of the caliber of athletes those top schools have and the support staffs they have. Not only do they get the best athletes, they have an army of support staff insuring they develop their players as well as anyone.
I agree a lot more with your #2 than your #1 — even though I agree with your #1.

Luckily Miami only has to play in the Coastal so Miami doesn’t have to recruit like they’re OSU, Texas or any SEC school. Win consistently…get better athletes…possibly beat Clemson (they did lose this year…).

Completely agree Miami has to be the best evaluator/developers. Also, agree that nothing about the current regime gives me confidence in this (not a Feeley fan). But, gotta coach ‘em. Clemson coached the **** out of 2/3*’s. Yes, they’ve done work with 4/5*’s but those backers trained by Venables are monsters.

Advertisement

The problem is... it’s more than what you stated.

Recruiting only takes you so far.

We would need to replicate this class and then some for at minimum 4 years. We also would need to maximize those guys potential, which currently is something we don’t do. Like I mentioned in my original post, we struggle to get Brevin the ball. When you recruit studs you need to feed them. None of this 3 targets a game ****.

Our entire philosophical approach needs to ripped to shreds. We have incoming guys like B.Smith, Curtis, Chase Smith, James Williams that are straight up game changers. But are we going to adjust our philosophies and tailor or systems around these guys to let their athletic abilities shine? With what are doing now there is no evidence that we will put these guys in position to succeed.

The fact that the staff wants to put Curtis at CB is laughable. The kid changes the game with the ball in his hands. Period

Will they use Chase Smith and James Williams like Isaiah Simmons? Bc those will be nightmares for OCs if they are used correctly*

Look what is currently going with Gurvan Hall. If Hall was at Alabama there is no doubt he’d be a first rounder.

Macro changes to the entire defensive staff is paramount and a step in the right direction.

I’ve always felt this was a 3-4 year rebuild for anyone that took the job in 2019. CMD setting expectations sky high at the get go was a huge mistake. Whether he works out is TBD (if he cans Baker and the D-staff, we’ll know he is capable of it). However the goal in the short term needs to be putting together consistent 9-3/10-2 seasons at least, winning good quality bowl games, competing for a spot at the ACC Championship game, and continuing to recruit at the level we’re recruiting now. We’ve put together back to back 9-win seasons once in 16-years. We’ve won two bowl games in 14-years. We need to be consistent at those basics before we can even talk about taking the steps from good —> very good —> elite. That’s how Clemson did it, and there are no shortcuts. It took six years for Dabo to get Clemson from average to elite, with a lot of beat downs from good teams in between.

I’ve got issues with CMD, and don’t know if he’ll workout. However, he has shown a willingness to move around coaches and use the portal to address deficiencies. We had the worst kicking and punting game in the country when he came in. Two seasons later and we’re Top-10 in the country. We had a terrible QB room and he went out and got King. He has shown a willingness to adapt and change that Golden and Richt never showed. For all our sakes let’s hope he keeps showing it by canning Baker and revamping that entire defense. Will say though that if he doesn’t can Baker, he’ll fail.

Advertisement

to get there we will need a different HC....so until that happens we will be 2nd in the Coarstal and win 8-10 games a year

That 2013 FSU team was probably a top 5 most talented teams in the past couple decades. Not quite sure the big bad UNC team that loses to Virginia and FSU are a similar type loss after we got skull fvcked.

Manny has been here 5yrs and all he has to show for it is a defense that rivals D'Onofrio.

That doesn’t change anything other than more teams getting to say they are in the playoff. There is little doubt that Clemson and bama would be the last two standing this year even if it were. 16 team playoff. The only thing more playoff games does is make injuries more likely because that is more likely to derail bama or Clemson than cincy or tamu
It does change the dynamic. There is a much better chance top recruits would pick different schools if they felt they had a chance to go to the playoffs and showcase themselves. BCS started the talent gap and now this baffoonary of a 4 team playoff is just making it wider. It really is to the point of unwatchable.

I’ve had this convo with fans of other teams and the truth is that most of the P5 is not playing the same game as the top 5 teams. Not in any aspect. And further, as long as this post season format exists, it will only get worse and worse

That's the way I see it as well.

You can be perfect during the season and still get left out. The Bigs are the only ones playing for a chance.

We will never be like modern day Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. I accepted that a long time ago.

We can however challenge on the occasional year and it starts with building our talent levels up.

It'll take the right blend of coaching (we aren't there) with the right blend of talent (we aren't there yet) to make a 4 team BCS berth.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back