How Does Paul Johnson....

Advertisement
the most mindboggling thing is the GT administration firing Gailey to bring in a triple O guy. You go from Calvin Johnson/Damaryius Thomas to not having any WRs at all.

lol.

GTech has been more successful under Johnson then Gailey. Heading into this year Tech has tied/won the Coastal 4 out of 8 years under Johnson.

Yes his style is archaic but Tech isn't a good program and he is winning games there.

Kind of surprised so many people hate him

GT has more players currently in the NFL than VT,Wake,Syracuse,Duke ,BC and Pitt so they are doing something right.

I bet they were pretty excited when they beat FSU last year.

Poor analogy, 40% completion rate 67yrds and 2 pics passing, leading rusher had 88yds, they didn't win that game because of their offense.

Hes the coach and they beat FSU which is more than we can say. They have also been more successful in the same division we play in.

Someone else alluded to the fact they have also produced pros at a decent rate

There are worse coaches

Advertisement
sticking with the triple option in 2016 is the biggest football guy move i've ever heard of.

I heard Paul Johnson complains that his players have to wear facemasks.

I heard that Paul Johnson complains that his players use the last of the toilet paper.

And they leave the toilet seat up

I heard Paul Johnson calls David Cutcliffe "young'un".

He's the guy screaming for RBs to get downhill when they make lateral movements.

It is what it is. You don't make the move to hire Paul Johnson because you're hoping to lure top area talent to your NFL training ground. You hire Paul Johnson because he's good at making the most of a low talent situation. Which, with GT's academic standards, makes it tough to just take anyone who can play. The administration is happy with what he's provided them. Generally winning seasons, bowl games and a couple ACC Coastal Championships. Pretty sure they won the ACC outright once under him too. They might have had a few more NFL players under Chan Gailey and drunk O'Leary but they've had more success on the field under Johnson. Not every athletic program's #1 priority is to compete for national championships. It's probably why their fanbase has trouble luring fans who are not alumni.

get players to sign up for his offense? If you're a GT player on the sideline watching....how could you even stomach observing this joke of a system? It doesn't prepare you for the NFL....it is unbelievably boring. Even on defense, if you have NFL aspirations, why would you want to defend a triple option which you will almost never see in the pros (if you make it)? I just don't get it. I would rather play at a DII school than in a system like that. GT fans must be some miserable ****s.

every now and then you get a Treon Harris type that wants to play qb in a system like that instead of a position he is better suited for like db. He should be able to recruit decent olinemen and rbs though.

I dont buy this academic BS. They've had plenty of talent in that program and have enjoyed some impressive success in the past.

They're in a big city in the heart of the nation's best region for football talent. They could and should do better.

That said, yes, they have been better than us under our last two clown regimes.

Advertisement
Anyone who thinks Paul Johnson is not a **** good football coach is fooling themselves. Dude won 2 1AA national titles at Ga. Southern. Then the guy went to Navy and took them to 2 or 3 bowl games. At NAVY!

The guy puts players into the NFL with regularity. For all the complaining about no wide receivers wanting to play in that offense, ask yourself how many O linemen would want to play in it. How about running backs? You can be the #5 RB on the depth chart and still get playing time.

Personally, I root for his success. I think it's cool that someone out there still runs the bone.

I agree with this sentiment, except I could careless whether Canes like or hate Johnson. DiegoCane is correct though, I think GT knows who they are as a school and football program and are pleased to be competitive in the ACC each year. Johnson gives them that. It's just an entirely different philosophy than those of you who post here have for our Canes, but if you think about it, it's a similar attitude to that of our previous administration that hired Coker, Shannon, and Golden and then kept them even after it was clear to the rest of the world that they would not return our Canes to glory. For some programs, GT for example, competing for National Championships isn't the legitimate end goal.

the most mindboggling thing is the GT administration firing Gailey to bring in a triple O guy. You go from Calvin Johnson/Damaryius Thomas to not having any WRs at all.

lol.

GTech has been more successful under Johnson then Gailey. Heading into this year Tech has tied/won the Coastal 4 out of 8 years under Johnson.

Yes his style is archaic but Tech isn't a good program and he is winning games there.

Kind of surprised so many people hate him

Johnson (2008-2015 or 8 Seasons)

Overall: 61-44 or 7.6 wins per season
Conference: 33-26
Bowl Games: 7 (2-5 Record)
BCS Games: 2
Coastal Champs: 4
Losing Seasons: 2
Best Season: 2014 [11-3 (6-2) Orange Bowl Win

Gailey (2002-2007 or 6 Seasons)

Overall: 44-32 or 7.3 wins per season
Conference: 28-20
Bowl Games: 6 (2-3 record, only coached 5)
BCS Games: 0
Coastal Champs: 1
Losing Seasons: 0
Best Season: 2006 [9-5 (7-1) w/ Gator Bowl Loss]

They have won the Coastal in the last 5 years.....we havent

Not true...

Detroit Lions: Al Golden

Biography:

Al Golden joins the Lions after 23 years as a college coach, including the last 10 seasons as the head coach at the University of Miami (2011-15) and Temple University (2006-10). Golden brings two Coach of the Year honors over the last six years, including 2009 MAC Coach of the Year (Temple) and the 2013 Lombardi Award for Excellence in Coaching (Miami). In addition to his experience as a 10-year head coach at both Temple and Miami, Golden has previously worked as defensive coordinator, special teams coordinator and has coached five different positions; corners, safeties, inside linebackers, outside linebackers and tight ends in the college ranks.

While guiding the Miami football program, Golden led his teams to bowl eligibility in his first four seasons, and the 2015 Hurricanes squad would also qualify for a bowl game following the regular season. In 2012, despite NCAA allegations following a program investigation that occurred prior to his hiring, Golden led the Hurricanes to their first Coastal Division Championship in just his second season. Prior to Miami’s bowl game in 2013, Golden received the 2013 Lombardi Award for Excellence in Coaching at the 44th Rotary Lombardi Award Ceremony.

From 2006-10, Golden served as head coach at Temple, where he sparked one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history. Under Golden’s guidance, the Owls compiled winning records during his last two seasons after the school achieved just two winning seasons over its previous 26 years. His Temple squad finished 9-4 in 2009 and tied for the MAC East Division title (7-1 record), earning them a spot in the EagleBank Bowl, which was Temple’s first bowl game since 1979 and only the third in the program’s 112 years of existence. The team’s nine wins in 2009 were also the second most in school history (program started in 1894).

In 2001, University of Virginia Head Coach Al Groh hired Golden as the youngest defensive coordinator at the time in FBS (formerly Division I-A). He would direct the Cavaliers defense for five seasons (2001-05). He also worked closely with the inside linebackers from 2001-04 and the secondary in 2005.

Prior to his tenure at Virginia, Golden was the linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator at Penn State, his alma mater, in 2000. Golden spent three seasons as the linebackers coach at Boston College from 1997-99. He started his college coaching career as a graduate assistant at Virginia from 1994-96.

Golden launched his coaching career in 1993 as offensive coordinator at Red Bank (N.J.) Catholic High School.

The Colts Neck, N.J., native was a was a three-year (1989-91) letterwinner and two-year starter at tight end for Penn State, where he received the 1991 Ridge Riley Award, given annually to a player who displays excellence in scholarship, sportsmanship, friendship and leadership. He also served as captain of former head coach Joe Paterno’s Nittany Lions in 1992 en route to the team’s Fiesta Bowl Championship.

Golden earned his undergraduate degree in pre-law from Penn State in 1991 before receiving his master’s in sports psychology from Virginia in December, 1996. After his tenure as a college player in State College, Golden spent one season in the NFL with the New England Patriots.

Golden was inducted in the Jersey Shore Sports Hall of Fame in 2004.

He is married to his wife, Kelly, and has three children--son A.J., and daughters Addison and Grace.

Advertisement
I have no problem with the guy two of the worst miami coaches in history shannon and golden owned him several times over. the only complaint i have is the cut blocks i cringe every time i see that he is going to end some defensive linemen's career one day or severely hurt their earning potential.

Anyone who thinks Paul Johnson is not a **** good football coach is fooling themselves. Dude won 2 1AA national titles at Ga. Southern. Then the guy went to Navy and took them to 2 or 3 bowl games. At NAVY!

The guy puts players into the NFL with regularity. For all the complaining about no wide receivers wanting to play in that offense, ask yourself how many O linemen would want to play in it. How about running backs? You can be the #5 RB on the depth chart and still get playing time.

Personally, I root for his success. I think it's cool that someone out there still runs the bone.

I totally agree. I would hate it if my school ran this offense, but I like that there's still a P5 school running it.

Johnson winning the Coastal 4 times is testament to the fact he can coach, and the system can work. But it's too hard to recruit for that system. Plus I believe Johnson has a once you commit you can't take any other visits policy.

I know it'll never happen - but I'd love to see how good their offense would be if they landed top recruits. What if they had Alabama's players? Alabama's OL with Henry, Yeldon & Drake all in the backfield at once with Cooper at WR. That would be scary.

Since Paul Johnson took over GT in 2008:

GT ACC record: 39-27, 1-1 in ACCCG, 2-5 in Bowl Games
Miami (FL) ACC record: 35-29, no ACCCG appearances, 0-6 in Bowl Games

Advertisement
With the exception of 2015, perhaps GT was pleased with his performance (avg 8 wins). He is not a good coach and GT can do better. Maybe they're content with 8 wins per season but I can't see them winning the Coastal going forward.

Excluding us, Pitt has improved and VT made a overdue coaching change (we will see how it works out). UNC is better. UVA made a change (don't think it will work) and Duke is decent. I expect Johnson to continue to lose more games.

AGREE 100% and one of the reasons I love to watch the college game is the variety of styles not seen in the NFL

I don't see why that makes him a good coach.

Ken Niumatalolo went 11-2 last season, at Navy!

Ken Niumatalolo (not including 2007, when he coached 1 game) has went to 7 bowl games (7/8), at Navy. Paul Johnson went to 5 bowl games (5/6). I bring this up as a %.

Ken Niumatalolo, since 2008, is 4-3 in bowl games, at Navy. Paul Johnson was 2-2 in bowl games at Navy.

Ken Niumatalolo is 71-37 (.657) at Navy. Paul Johnson was 45-29 (.608) at Navy.

I don't know why Paul Johnson is a good coach (performance wise).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back