How do we feel about our LB future?

Benefit of blowing teams out is getting young guys reps to see what you have.

As we progress into the later stages of the season, what these young guys do during game prep, how they handle their business, and what they do with the opportunities they earn will go a long way into deciding personnel decisions for 27.

We saw it last portal window with Cline and Merriweather at OL as well and Vaughn and Jacobs.
I guess what I was trying to say is...if Mario knew then what he knows now..I wonder if he empties the vault for Seaton? But we didnt know in Dec that certain guys wouldnt be ready to go. And with no Spring window...its too late to make up for the mistake. And now here we are where we have Merriweather and SJ having to hold the fort down.
 
I guess what I was trying to say is...if Mario knew then what he knows now..I wonder if he empties the vault for Seaton? But we didnt know in Dec that certain guys wouldnt be ready to go. And with no Spring window...its too late to make up for the mistake. And now here we are where we have Merriweather and SJ having to hold the fort down.
I agree but I'm not sure Seaton is a great example because we did pursue but weren't willing to spend what he was asking for.

I think if Mario could go back and redo the portal window he'd go after a veteran guard and likely a in-line TE
 
I’m more scared about DT.. assuming we lose both starters
It will be expensive but i think it will be a type of one begets the other situation. Moten is gone and he will be drafted either day 1 or 2. If Scott stays then that goes a long way in keeping the room in the shape we want it. If he leaves, that means he had a great season and we have two DTs getting drafted on day 1 and/or 2. At that point there is no question we will have the money as 1) Scott and Moten are off the books 2) we pay well and 3) there is a track record with Miami DL in the league.
 
I’m more scared about DT.. assuming we lose both starters

No way Scott is leaving. Not enough game changing flash plays yet this year. He is not a first rounder. and he probably has more market value as a 4th year college player than a 3rd rd pick in NFL.
 
It will be expensive but i think it will be a type of one begets the other situation. Moten is gone and he will be drafted either day 1 or 2. If Scott stays then that goes a long way in keeping the room in the shape we want it. If he leaves, that means he had a great season and we have two DTs getting drafted on day 1 and/or 2. At that point there is no question we will have the money as 1) Scott and Moten are off the books 2) we pay well and 3) there is a track record with Miami DL in the league.
With the way NIL is...it would be foolish for a guy like Scott to leave if hes not a guaranteed 1st round pick. JMO. He has first round pick talent. We will pay him handsomely to stay just like we did Moten. So hope he takes that into consideration because keeping him should be priority #1 in the offseason outside of making sure we get Bryson Wright by any means necessary.
 
No way Scott is leaving. Not enough game changing flash plays yet this year. He is not a first rounder. and he probably has more market value as a 4th year college player than a 3rd rd pick in NFL.

Way too early to say either way. Through 5 games last season we had people calling him a bust. He turned it on late and in the playoffs when it mattered. If he does that again, he is probably gone.

I do agree that NIL obviously helps here though, if he isn’t a likely top 40-50 pick, we can for $ure help with that
 
With the way NIL is...it would be foolish for a guy like Scott to leave if hes not a guaranteed 1st round pick. JMO. He has first round pick talent. We will pay him handsomely to stay just like we did Moten. So hope he takes that into consideration because keeping him should be priority #1 in the offseason outside of making sure we get Bryson Wright by any means necessary.
The flipside to that is if he goes to the league he is eligible for a second contract faster. DT while a premium position isnt like QB so the math favors them leaving even more.
 
i really like Pruitt and Wiley -- can they be three-down LBs? Combine them into one player and you probably have a first round pick.
1791467810065.gif

1791467822572.gif
 
Before his injury, I think Marcelin flashed more this season than Wiley did. Wiley is more of an unknown aside from his physical profile (pause?).
I think Wiley has looked really good when he's gotten.
I don't know if he has the pure LB instincts tho. He should be used the OSU used Reese last year.
Hopefully Marcelin can get healthy soon. Bonner's been decent too.
Pruitt doesn't have it IMO.
 
A top 3 of Marcelin Bonner and Wiley with a portal. Think Marcelin was gaining significant playing time before the injury. Not sure we can expect much from Pruitt due to his lack of size minus the dime packages he’s in for
I don't think we need to portal next year!...wiley,pruitt,bonner, marcelin, edwards,campbell, busch, glover, randle! Only randle and glover are true freshman everyone else at least 2 years in the system if we get no traction next year do we start looking at the system or hetherman?
 
Back
Top