How did you become a Canes fan?

I remember watching the 1986 Fiesta bowl pregame. I was with my dad. I was 8 years old. I asked him who he wanted to win. He said "Penn St." I asked why? He said because Miami was ****y and a bunch of trouble makers and nobody liked them.. I was a die hard Hurricane fan instantly.

Advertisement
When I was a kid in New Orleans in the late '70s early '80s the Saints, LSU and Tulane weren't any good, so everybody had side teams. ND was always on but I hated them, but one year they played UM and got shut out 20-0 in the OB and I loved it. Then came the '83 game against Nebraska who nobody thought could be beaten and I was hooked. When 2 Live Crew had on Canes gear on their album cover I had to get mine, but when they lost to Penn St. I was sick for weeks, that's how I knew I wasn't just a bandwagon fan.

Raised that way. Parents are from Miami. I was born in Georgia though. We love the Canes and and Dolphins.

I was born in South Miami hospital. My parents took me to games at the Light and OB when I was a kid. I was a UM football player for halloween when I was 7. Had my 8th birthday party at the Light and went to baseball and basketball summer camps at UM until I was 14. Lived in Ocala for my high school years and had to fight with Noles and Gaytor fans. Got a scholarship offer from UM and now have 2 degrees from this amazing university.

Advertisement
I was a little kid but in 1981 they beat Number 1 Penn State and my brother (10 years older) went nuts celebrating. Been a Cane since.

As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

Born in New York, but moved to Miami Shores as a kid. Coming from New York, NFL was always king for me so I became a huge Phins fan. Got introduced to the Canes in middle school (99-00) by a friend who's family were huge canes fans. I've been hooked ever since.

Side note - Macho I love that Flanigans man. I went to Ransom and thats one of the spots we'd hit after school. I'm back in New York now, but my sister sent me a pic of Joe's Meal Deal the other day. I've never been so jealous.

I have a cousin or two that probably went to Ransom with you. As you said you grew up in the Shores, I would've guessed that you'd go to Country Day.

Class of '06 so possibly.....Trust me it was a nice long commute but I wouldn't trade it for anything. That education set me on the right path

I lived at that Flanigans when I was at Ransom

Born in Gainesville, grew up in Jacksonville, high school boyfriend received football scholarship to the U in 1957, we got married in '59 & lived in what was then the "married" dorms on campus near the little bridge that went over to the football field. We were independent back then and he would receive $25. if he tackled a player behind the 20 yard line on kick offs. Many, many great memories.....Sebastian burning Oklahoma's sooner wagon in the OB, beating ND 58 to 7...WOO WOO, Thrill Hill running thru the tunnel against Tx., meeting Mark Richt in an elevator in Miami when he was Kelly's back up, attending many out of state games throughout the country, FSU wide rights and left, Bobby Bowden stating that he wanted on his gravestone, "but I had to play Miami", kicking a field goal n the last second of the game @ the swamp when we were already soundly beating them because they were throwing oranges at our coaches and players, etc.., etc., etc. I have thoroughly enjoyed 60 years of Miami football and look forward to many more.

Advertisement
i came to UM for my PhD. Loved the school and the city/region. Fond memories and good friends. Always had followed football, mostly the NFL. But my good feeling for Miami the city and UM the university made me reexamine college football. I now think more of Canes football than any NFL team. Now live in San Diego, but constantly brag about the Canes. Miami the city and UM the university are special for me. It's personal. Go Canes!

Grew up in Miami; did not go there since they do not have a pharmacy program. Moment I became a fan was Miami-FSU and Wide Right III, capped with the ship the next year. Didn't remember the 97 Marlins championship, so those Canes were the first S. Fla team I remember winning one.

Advertisement
Grew up in SC, but have been a huge fan for close to 34 years, since the age of 6. That year happened to be my sister's senior year at UM and the year they won their first national title. I never attended even though that was my first choice, just didn't have the grades. Had to attend the University of South Carolina instead. Used to be given a hard time because I always repped the The U all over campus. Lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So many spectacular stories!.. My family came to Miami in 84' via The Bronx. I was born there but raised in the SW, Perrine, heights, ridge area. My father and older brother were both canes and dolphins fans but they are not the reason I became one. My very first job was at the Original Kendall location; The Sports Grill on Sunset Dr. back in 98'. Everyone in there at that time were rabid cane and dolphins fans including the workers. I used to cook there and we had a tv in the kitchen watching the 99-00 canes and eventually the 01 team. I remember opposing fans would come there, noles, turds, jets, bills; and get beat the *** up, lol! The passion that everyone showed for the 305 was invigorating and contagious and that's how I became a fan. Could of cared less about football before that...
I did meet Sean Taylors sister on a few occasions because we had mutual friends, never met Sean though.
Met Marcus maxey at the sports grill once too.

As a kid growing up in the northeast it's impossible to state how beautiful the OB looked on tv on overcast freezing November Saturday afternoons. Then you watched those Canes teams play. Then you were hooked. Then you went outside and fought Penn State and Notre Dame fans. Then you came to school here. Then you never left. Then you just add FSU and UiF fans to your list of fights.

I grew up 30 mins North of Harrisburg, we shared the same childhood.

Uncle took me to Happy Valley in 92 and was able to get us on the field before the game. Standing outside of the tunnel during warm ups and Gino runs by, see's me rocking my Canes sweats and gives me a high five. Then a few minutes later Barrow, Armstead and Smith walk out like they're the baddest MF'rs on the block. Been hooked ever since.

From DC so am a big Redskins fan and was a huge ST fan. Applied to Universoty of Miami for that reason, took a visit, and fell in love. Graduated in 2011.

Advertisement
Back