How did you become a Canes fan?

Wondering if most posters here either attended The U and/or grew up in the Greater Miami area?

For me, it was neither.

My family didn't have much money and I had nowhere near the grades to get into UM

I've lived my whole life surrounded by Seminoles and Gators fans united only in their disdain for The U.

Somehow as a kid who loved college football (but had no shot of actually attending a game at the Orange Bowl) I fell in love with the Hurricanes in the early 1970s. Not even sure why other than how much I quickly learned to hate Florida and Florida State.

But through the good and the bad, it's never changed.

former-miami-coach-howard-schnellenberger-raises-the-1983-ncaa-a-picture-id178734495.jpg

Advertisement
Wondering if most posters here either attended The U and/or grew up in the Greater Miami area?

For me, it was neither.

My family didn't have much money and I had nowhere near the grades to get into UM

I've lived my whole life surrounded by Seminoles and Gators fans united only in their disdain for The U.

Somehow as a kid who loved college football (but had no shot of actually attending a game at the Orange Bowl) I fell in love with the Hurricanes in the early 1970s. Not even sure why other than how much I quickly learned to hate Florida and Florida State.

But through the good and the bad, it's never changed.

View attachment 42475

similar in that I didn't attend UM and grew up with Noles and Gators fans. ****, I'm still surrounded by them. I first grew to like college football and the Canes in 89 or so, as an elementary school kid. Been a fan ever since.

I moved to Ft. Lauderdale from Amsterdam when I was 7 years old... In 2001. Them winning that year + my new stepdads love for them has just kinda stuck with me since, even after moving to Georgia and South Carolina and going to USCe

I grew up in S. Florida, first became a fan of Canes sports by attending baseball games with my Dad at Mark Light back in the late 70s, football naturally followed. I think I attended my first game in the OB in '79 or '80, been a fan ever since. It truly is an unhealthy obsession.

My grandparents were transplants to Miami, became Cane fans, parents were Cane fans, my entire extended family are Canes. ****, my son goes to UF and is a diehard Cane!

Advertisement
My memory is hazy but it was the first time I saw Cogsden make a tackle

Born at South Miami Hospital. Grew up in Dade.

Pops took me to the OB (upper deck, no shirts haha) and Mark Light on a regular basis when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s. He covered 'Canes baseball (and a little football) at that time for a local radio station. Got to meet the Wizard and the baseball players a bunch, ran the bases after games while dad was taking interviews, was the bat boy here and there, etc. Fun times.

Basically, thanks be to pops for raising me and my brothers the right way.

I started at UM in 1999 and had no idea Miami was (or ever was) good in football. I grew up in the DC area with parents who weren't really into sports, so I never really payed any attention to college football. The NFL was everything to me at the time.

I remember being at a freshman orientation pep rally type event and I think we were going into the season as a top 10 team and I remember thinking 'huh, that seems pretty good' w/o having any real clue what that meant. Now I am a diehard and have mostly abandoned the NFL.

I was pretty lucky to have attended when I did 99-03. It spoiled me as to what to expect from the team. Unfortunately, the last ~10 years have dampened those expectations somewhat.

My dad was a big Cane fan and always took me, my brother, and my friends to the games. He didn't even go to UM but grew up down here and was a die hard. My first game I was 4 and it was against Notre Dame in '89. We've had season tickets every year of my life except for the years I went to college which was at FSU(free education). FSU fans did not understand why I would not root for them and stuck to being a Cane fan. Never for one second in my mind did my loyalty change. All my friends who came to the games with us even though going to UF and FSU are still die hard fans to this day and have season tickets. Much respect to anyone who is a UM alum but what makes being a Cane fan so special is the local following and how even though you didn't go to UM you still feel like a Cane.

Advertisement
Went to my first game in 1968 with my Dad. Went to almost every home game since.

Look at Miami's schedule in 1968. Can you imagine anyone having that schedule today?

G Date Day School Opponent Conf Pts Opp W L T Streak Notes
1 Sep 20, 1968 Fri (19) Miami (FL) Northwestern Big Ten W 28 7 1 0 0 W 1
2 Sep 28, 1968 Sat (15) Miami (FL) @ Georgia Tech Ind W 10 7 2 0 0 W 2
3 Oct 5, 1968 Sat (13) Miami (FL) @ (2) Southern California Pac-8 L 3 28 2 1 0 L 1
4 Oct 11, 1968 Fri Miami (FL) (8) Louisiana State SEC W 30 0 3 1 0 W 1
5 Oct 18, 1968 Fri (12) Miami (FL) Virginia Tech Ind W 13 8 4 1 0 W 2
6 Oct 26, 1968 Sat (9) Miami (FL) @ Auburn SEC L 6 31 4 2 0 L 1
7 Nov 1, 1968 Fri Miami (FL) Pittsburgh Ind W 48 0 5 2 0 W 1
8 Nov 9, 1968 Sat Miami (FL) @ (4) Penn State Ind L 7 22 5 3 0 L 1
9 Nov 16, 1968 Sat Miami (FL) (16) Alabama SEC L 6 14 5 4 0 L 2
10 Nov 30, 1968 Sat Miami (FL) @ Florida SEC L 10 14 5 5 0 L 3

My uncle was a huge Canes fan, he was one of my idols growing up.

Outside of that, probably watching the early 90s teams on TV. Loved the colors too (still do).

Advertisement
I became a Canes fan after I watched and cheered them upset Nebraska in 1983 National Championship at Orange Bowl on TV in Newfoundland and Labrador. at the time I wanted Nebraska to lose because I read Time magazine article about them running up their scores against lowly teams. Their disrespect against these teams soured my stomach real bad. :)

born/raised in upstate NY. Growing up in the early 90s everyone seemed to be ND and FSU fans. People hated Miami...so it was an easy decision for me. I got a black pullover canes Starter jacket for xmas 93 and never looked back :neonu::neonu::neonu::neonu:

My dad took me to the local breakfast restaurant on SW 8th st and 5th Ave (the building is still there), on November 18, 1951. He and his buddies were discussing the UM/UF game from the night before. They were so excited that it got to me, and I've been a fan since that day. That was the first time I saw my dad as anything other than the stern parental figure. He was genuinely excited along with his friends. I was aware of the Canes as early as 1950, but 51 was the season I became a fan.

BTW: Trivia - Miami beat Florida on Nov. 17, 1951. That was the day Butch Davis was born.

Advertisement
I was born and raised on the Beach and both of my parents went to the U. My Uncle, who also went to the U, had season's tickets and I grew up going to games, starting in the 70's. I attended our championship games against Nebraska (83/84), Oklahoma (85) and Nebraska (2001). I went to a college with no football team and never strayed from our team.

Last edited:
Dad took me to a game during the 83 season.... Too young to understand what was going on.. But when we moved to cali in 85 I saw the ND game and that did it... I was 6 turning 7 during the 86 season and saw every game.... The winning plus the **** talking is what I loves about them. But that 85 game vs ND when I can say I became a die hard.... My favorite team out of all my sports teams

Gma was an alum, born and raised twenty minutes from campus, dads a huge fan. Really had no choice

Advertisement
Back