How are they going to keep this monster off the field?

LOL imagine them putting Thomas, Joe Jackson, Harris, DJ or Garvin on the field on passing downs?

#Rape

There's little reason for Norton and McIntosh being on the field on 3rd and long.

2007 Giants won the super bowl because their staff used Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka to get after Tom Brady.

We have a million DEs...use them

Understand where your head is at and not a crazy idea in "obvious" passing situations, but Thomas and DJ are probably the only DE's with enough bulk to get a strong inside push. If you also blitz a LB up the middle or from the outside, seems it would wreck havoc on passing situations and heavy passing teams. Doubt Norton and McIntosh would be happy with that arrangement, but even using McIntosh with any three other DE's in passing situations it would be a good option as well.

Advertisement
Lu I for one would love to see our media stop......again STOP....proclaiming kids top 15 etc pick. I miss the days we had kids come back to win something for Miami before departing for the NFL. 1st round pick? Ok not complaining....

Tangent over

It's absurd how night and day the DE and DT recruiting are at this point. DJ and Garvin have 100 guys in front of them and may have to see the field.
Joe's not a hard projection as a likely early entrant. He was a star Frosh year. He's a prototype. He'll be 21 years old this season. If he remains healthy and just naturally progresses, hard not to see him leaving early as a R1 DE.

DEs with Jackson's skill set are also chosen toward the top half. Derek Barnett was chosen #14 overall in the 2017 NFL draft and I project Joe Jackson to be a better prospect after next season. Of course, it depends on who comes out and certain circumstances. Just providing reference.
No doubt.

To your point however I believe Vilma critqued Garvins game after NSD and the very first thing he talked about was his first two steps coupled with the absurd length/wingspan he has.

His speed off the edge is wild....

If DJ and Garvin play this year one would think every DE were bringing in this year redshirts although cant kids play 4 to 6 games? That may be a rule implementation going forward.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

When you evaluate a pass rusher, you look at the first three steps of their get off. The player who gets their third foot down usually wins the rep on pass rushing. If the rusher gets his third step down before the OL gets his third down on his kick slide, the rusher has leverage to beat him outside and if the OT opens his hips to account for that quickness disadvantage, the rusher can use that third step as a spring to counter inside.

Garvin is exceptional at this, maybe even elite. I rarely, if ever, know the recruiting rankings of our players because I try not to cloud my evaluation going in, and I just assumed Garvin was a 5-star, elite DL prospect when I watched him play. I later learned that guy was DJ Johnson, but had Garvin slightly ahead of him because Garvin is going to be a truly impactful pass rusher in my view.

As season approaches, exhorbirance of players and team surfaces. Garvin is lucanes choice as next great de. It doesn't matter that he is not played 1 down of college football. He has been annointed. Unfortunately for every freshman that looked like the real deal and would go on to greatness, there have been many more that have been busts. Nice to have positive opinions but too early to crown him as the next great de.
This is a message board. Projecting players is one of the primary things done by fans of teams. No one is "crowning" him as anything. Perhaps attack the actual substantive portions of the OP and the specific comments made of him. I even wrote he may get minimal snaps. I have no idea because I'm not making those decisions.

Not sure if you're new or an older poster with a new name, but I don't get this excited about too many players.

You can get as excited as you want to about as many players as you want to. This board promotes Miami Hurricanes football. Your projection is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Red Shirt this young man and let him develop we plenty of talent ahead of him.

For that matter there are quite a few kids in the 2017 class I would like to see take a redshirt year, to develop long term quality depth.

Go Canes

Don't see the point in red shirting Garvin. When a kid is extremely talented like him and well ahead in physical development, he's more than likely going to leave early. Might as well get as much out of him as possible and get him some live reps. On the d-line you only red-shirt development projects and/or kids that are nowhere near physically developed for the collegiate level - Garvin (as well as DJ) do not fit that criteria.

Rather than start 20 different "I'm really pumped about Garvin" threads throughout the season, I'll just update this one. Here's where our starting LT sings Garvin's praises. Says even though Garvin has to work on size/weight, he often still slips through. Cheers:

https://youtu.be/Zjwx_sF_vr0

Advertisement
Looks like your evaluation of Garvin was on point. I think he just turned 18 too. He has a lot of upside.

The talent UM's amassing along its front is amazing. Garvin almost broke the VT QBs hand on that strip sack and the fumble recovery. I love Joe Jackson, Trent Harris is UM's most underrated defender, but Garvin's size, quickness, and disruptive hands jump off the screen.

I was on this kid's bandwagon as soon as Vilma raved about his film back in February.
The kid has the potential to be one of the best defensive forces we have ever seen.
(Which as we all know is saying a lot.)

Advertisement
I remember watching his junior highlights and being amazed he wasn't at least a 4 star prospect. My favourite recruit last cycle, and that's saying something, because we had some great ones. Garvin is everything a D Line coach can want.

The size, length and speed we are building at DE is amazing. We already have Joe Jack, Garvin, DJ and adding an incredible athletic Rousseau.

On one of the last drives, they had garvin playing that viper role or whatever you call it where he was standing up behind the DT. Loved how they used him. And his strip sack - that was a true freshman going against a RSSR

Advertisement
This was a great call. If we can make the ACCCG and CFP or new year 6 imagine how much better he and a lot od these young guys will be given the extra practice and experience. I saw 96 Ford on the field last night too at the end.

Advertisement
Back