How are they going to keep this monster off the field?

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Some buzz about him today made me curious to look back at my recruiting notes and re-watch a lot of his available film.

Despite having two extremely strong players in front of him, I'm really curious how the coaches will keep Jon Garvin off the field. Joe Jackson is a potential Top 15 pick in the 2019 NFL draft. Trent Harris simply makes plays and was at the top of the defensive leaderboard last year for TFLs. They're both excellent fits in Manny Diaz's WDE position. Jon Garvin will somehow push them.

He's not only an EE, but a player still growing into his body. Dude is still not 18 years old (1 more month). Freakish long arms. Great hand use. But, here's what makes me say it'll be difficult to keep him off the field:

His lateral ability is probably already one of the best of our DL. You can throw him in a game and let him chase the ball around a bit and he'll be fine. Even if he gets minimal snaps this year, here's a guy who'll help us gamblers cover spreads by picking up sacks and even TOs in blowout games. Couldn't be more excited for him and, I know others are also high on him, so I'll predict he scraps together a 5+ sack season. Maybe one of those 2-3 sack games in our early cupcake schedule.

Advertisement
Lu I for one would love to see our media stop......again STOP....proclaiming kids top 15 etc pick. I miss the days we had kids come back to win something for Miami before departing for the NFL. 1st round pick? Ok not complaining....

Tangent over

It's absurd how night and day the DE and DT recruiting are at this point. DJ and Garvin have 100 guys in front of them and may have to see the field.

Lu I for one would love to see our media stop......again STOP....proclaiming kids top 15 etc pick. I miss the days we had kids come back to win something for Miami before departing for the NFL. 1st round pick? Ok not complaining....

Tangent over

It's absurd how night and day the DE and DT recruiting are at this point. DJ and Garvin have 100 guys in front of them and may have to see the field.
Joe's not a hard projection as a likely early entrant. He was a star Frosh year. He's a prototype. He'll be 21 years old this season. If he remains healthy and just naturally progresses, hard not to see him leaving early as a R1 DE.

DEs with Jackson's skill set are also chosen toward the top half. Derek Barnett was chosen #14 overall in the 2017 NFL draft and I project Joe Jackson to be a better prospect after next season. Of course, it depends on who comes out and certain circumstances. Just providing reference.

I get that he's 18 and will grow but looks skinny. Needs to spend some time with Gus

Advertisement

Tangent over

Joe's not a hard projection as a likely early entrant. He was a star Frosh year. He's a prototype. He'll be 21 years old this season. If he remains healthy and just naturally progresses, hard not to see him leaving early as a R1 DE.

DEs with Jackson's skill set are also chosen toward the top half. Derek Barnett was chosen #14 overall in the 2017 NFL draft and I project Joe Jackson to be a better prospect after next season. Of course, it depends on who comes out and certain circumstances. Just providing reference.
No doubt.

To your point however I believe Vilma critqued Garvins game after NSD and the very first thing he talked about was his first two steps coupled with the absurd length/wingspan he has.

His speed off the edge is wild....

If DJ and Garvin play this year one would think every DE were bringing in this year redshirts although cant kids play 4 to 6 games? That may be a rule implementation going forward.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Perhaps Diaz can create a specific package for him as an edge rusher/linebacker.

LOL imagine them putting Thomas, Joe Jackson, Harris, DJ or Garvin on the field on passing downs?

#Rape

Advertisement
LOL imagine them putting Thomas, Joe Jackson, Harris, DJ or Garvin on the field on passing downs?

#Rape

There's little reason for Norton and McIntosh being on the field on 3rd and long.

2007 Giants won the super bowl because their staff used Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka to get after Tom Brady.

We have a million DEs...use them

#Rape

There's little reason for Norton and McIntosh being on the field on 3rd and long.

2007 Giants won the super bowl because their staff used Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka to get after Tom Brady.

3rd and long draw play. Leave at least 1 DT in there. JMO

Some buzz about him today made me curious to look back at my recruiting notes and re-watch a lot of his available film.

Despite having two extremely strong players in front of him, I'm really curious how the coaches will keep Jon Garvin off the field. Joe Jackson is a potential Top 15 pick in the 2019 NFL draft. Trent Harris simply makes plays and was at the top of the defensive leaderboard last year for TFLs. They're both excellent fits in Manny Diaz's WDE position. Jon Garvin will somehow push them.

He's not only an EE, but a player still growing into his body. Dude is still not 18 years old (1 more month). Freakish long arms. Great hand use. But, here's what makes me say it'll be difficult to keep him off the field:

His lateral ability is probably already one of the best of our DL. You can throw him in a game and let him chase the ball around a bit and he'll be fine. Even if he gets minimal snaps this year, here's a guy who'll help us gamblers cover spreads by picking up sacks and even TOs in blowout games. Couldn't be more excited for him and, I know others are also high on him, so I'll predict he scraps together a 5+ sack season. Maybe one of those 2-3 sack games in our early cupcake schedule.

I hope so.

This didn't just pop into your head - something else you're not elaborating on besides lateral speed.

Him and Patch will be hard to handle after 3 Qs of getting the **** beat out of you by Chad, Joe and Toolbox. I think having these guys fresh will pay off late in games. That's an underestimated weapon to have

Advertisement
I get that he's 18 and will grow but looks skinny. Needs to spend some time with Gus

He's 240 plus. Might be even a little taller than joe Jackson who is 6'5.5 260 right now 586A70A1-12F6-4E52-8158-AD227FCF7975.jpg

Regardless both of them are built like monsters

Last edited:
Advertisement
You add chad Thomas and Dj Johnson to the mix of Jon Garvin, joe Jackson, Scott patchan and Trent Harris? Yeesh.........

Red Shirt this young man and let him develop we plenty of talent ahead of him.

For that matter there are quite a few kids in the 2017 class I would like to see take a redshirt year, to develop long term quality depth.

Go Canes

#Rape

3rd and long draw play. Leave at least 1 DT in there. JMO
Mcintosh would probably try to kill his coaches if they take him out when it's pass rush time.

Red Shirt this young man and let him develop we plenty of talent ahead of him.

For that matter there are quite a few kids in the 2017 class I would like to see take a redshirt year, to develop long term quality depth.

Go Canes

Disagree. This isn't 1983 anymore. Kids want to play. Play them as freshman and get 3 years out of them. If Garvin is that good, he's leaving after his RS So season anyway. Unless there is an injury or they are a legit project (Hillery?), play your best guys

Advertisement
Back