How about them Dolphins Great Win Today

Exactly. Today was the first game all season I rooted for the Dolphins to win. There really wasn't much at stake in terms of the draft, due to the strength of schedule aspect with other teams that could end up 5-11.

The Lions were the only variable. Once they were up 14-0 then 17-3 I was wavering on my rooting interest in the Dolphins. But I had confidence Detroit would find a way to blow it, as they have all season. So I continued to root for Miami.

I predicted 5-11 this season on Finheaven. But I didn't want to be correct. I always make that prediction at the very end of the prior season, so I'm relying on big picture criteria and not garbage dredged up during the offseason. For next year I'll forecast 6-10 for the Dolphins. Not complicated. Ryan Fiztpatrick's career winning percentage is basically 40%. The closest translation to that over a full season is 6-10.

Overall this was an awful season for the Dolphins. It looks cute to be resourceful and competitive only if you are stuck in today's prism and totally clueless regarding long term realities. The NFL is dictated by quarterbacks. The Dolphins desperately needed that top pick.

This offseason there will be overboard optimism. Fans somehow think 5 victories is an accomplishment. That's because they were dunce enough to believe the 0-16 and worst of all time proclamations. Translate to next season when the same type of fan who expected 0-16 this season will somehow anticipate a competitive team if not a winning team. Meanwhile the subpar roster is still a reality. The team had a grotesque YPPA Differential this season, second worst only to Cincinnati. Fitzpatrick has a long history of underperforming when more is expected.

This was the season to get it done. Next year the stark roster reality shows up. I hope Tua or Jordan Love enter the equation.
I think there are many ways to view the season. 5-11 beat the Vegas projection, but I look at it as a tale of two seasons. They went 0-7 to start and 5-4 to finish. But even that doesn't tell the story, you have to look at how badly that 0-7 start was, losing in embarrassing fashion and to some bad teams, such as Washington.

The 5-4 finish is rather remarkable. I'm not going to play the "what if" game, but they easily could have been 6-3 with a win over the Jets had a bad PI call not been made at the end of the game. They beat the division leading Eagles and then today, of course, the Patriots in Foxboro with a bye on the line. This team is clearly trending up and we're so used to seeing Miami finish trending down to close out a season.

The QB spot is most troubling because Fitzpatrick is at the end of his career. While I would love for us to land a stud CB like Okudah 5th overall, it'd be a huge gamble to pass on Tua and run the risk we can't land Love. To me, there is a huge drop-off after Burrow and Tua, and an even bigger drop-off after Love to Herbert/Hurts/Fromm. I dread that we may even entertain the thought of drafting one of those latter three QBs. I just don't see us replicating another bad year like this next year, so the "tank for Lawrence" fans are misguided. I mean, if we couldn't sniff the top pick when we lost Xavien Howard and Preston Williams and a starting RB for the year, we're not going to do so with 3 first rounders added to the roster and a bunch of free agents added next year. The time for a QB is now. I hope we go for Tua, but it's not a lock we can get him 5th. A team like Jacksonville or the Chargers could mortgage the future and trade up with Detroit to take him ahead of us. That worries me more than anything.

Advertisement
Learn from the Heat. Tanking is for losers. Culture develops players.

Flores is doing a great job. Guys like Parker and Gesicki developed from soft JAGs into real players.

Are the Dolphins signing Shaq in free agency? How about Lebron?

The Heat connected huge on one draft pick. They turned it into Wade. And Wade led to everything else. Otherwise nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

The Dolphins are in the same predicament. None of it matters at all without that one key piece. And going 5-11 after being 0-7 at one point makes it markedly more difficult. Now you are relying on others making mistakes.

We hate the Patriots. We love the guy from the Patriots who is running the Fins like a carbon copy of the Patriots. Thus, we will soon hate ourselves. Can’t wait for the first scandal in a couple years.

Advertisement
Dolphins had the 33rd ranked talented roster in the NFL. Somehow they won 5 games. Why? Coaching!

And it couldn't have happened to a more cheating organization from top to bottom! #PatsonlyCheat

Are the Dolphins signing Shaq in free agency? How about Lebron?

The Heat connected huge on one draft pick. They turned it into Wade. And Wade led to everything else. Otherwise nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

The Dolphins are in the same predicament. None of it matters at all without that one key piece. And going 5-11 after being 0-7 at one point makes it markedly more difficult. Now you are relying on others making mistakes.
Miami has the money to sign a big free-agent or two next year. I doubt they do.

ONE player can change a lot in the NBA but may not in the NFL with how many players there are. You have to have some sort of culture if you want to succeed and or consistently be a contender.

The Dolphins are not in the same predicament. They have more resources to fix their issue(s).

Did you want the #1 pick? Ideally, what would you have wanted to happen?

Advertisement
I'm fine with riding with Fitz one more year or getting a free agent qb like Bridgewater. Load up on Defense and the OL. This coaching staff actually develop players the NE way.

The only thing worse than taking no Qb is reaching to take a Qb that doesn't amount to ****.
What’s worse is that when you reach for a qb and know he’s not the answer but you’re stuck with him for 3 seasons plus because the coaching staff is stuck with him

We can still get a very good player at #5. (How did the last #5 draft pick work out for a Miami franchise?) I like Okudah or Simmons. Tua will most likely be available but I never liked him even before the injury. Next years QB class is better imo. We still don’t know what we have with Rosen. He deserves another look. I liked what I saw from Flores this season. They were supposedly the worst team in NFL history, guaranteed to go 0-16. Great to see a Pats loss.

Wade was the 5th pick. And he’s not even on the team anymore. They are still winning because of development, coaching and culture.

The teams in the playoffs weren’t built with Top 3 picks. The 49ers are the closest and they got their QB for a second-rounder.

The Dolphins have a high pick, plenty of draft capital and a coach. The season was a success.

Advertisement
I think there are many ways to view the season. 5-11 beat the Vegas projection, but I look at it as a tale of two seasons. They went 0-7 to start and 5-4 to finish. But even that doesn't tell the story, you have to look at how badly that 0-7 start was, losing in embarrassing fashion and to some bad teams, such as Washington.

The 5-4 finish is rather remarkable. I'm not going to play the "what if" game, but they easily could have been 6-3 with a win over the Jets had a bad PI call not been made at the end of the game. They beat the division leading Eagles and then today, of course, the Patriots in Foxboro with a bye on the line. This team is clearly trending up and we're so used to seeing Miami finish trending down to close out a season.

The QB spot is most troubling because Fitzpatrick is at the end of his career. While I would love for us to land a stud CB like Okudah 5th overall, it'd be a huge gamble to pass on Tua and run the risk we can't land Love. To me, there is a huge drop-off after Burrow and Tua, and an even bigger drop-off after Love to Herbert/Hurts/Fromm. I dread that we may even entertain the thought of drafting one of those latter three QBs. I just don't see us replicating another bad year like this next year, so the "tank for Lawrence" fans are misguided. I mean, if we couldn't sniff the top pick when we lost Xavien Howard and Preston Williams and a starting RB for the year, we're not going to do so with 3 first rounders added to the roster and a bunch of free agents added next year. The time for a QB is now. I hope we go for Tua, but it's not a lock we can get him 5th. A team like Jacksonville or the Chargers could mortgage the future and trade up with Detroit to take him ahead of us. That worries me more than anything.
Never been a fan of Tua, injury or not. Just not a fan of this year’s QB class. You’re right about Lawrence, Flores is clearly not the tanking type. I say we give Rosen a real chance next year.

Never been a fan of Tua, injury or not. Just not a fan of this year’s QB class. You’re right about Lawrence, Flores is clearly not the tanking type. I say we give Rosen a real chance next year.

I agree. Give Rosen a shot next season. With Rosen as the starting QB the Dolphins will have a much better chance of getting in on the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

The only QBs I want are Burrow, Tua, or Love. Burrow will be long gone, obviously. If we pass on Tua we may strike out and get someone like Fromm or Eason in a later round.

I think Flores isn’t a Rosen fan or we’d have seen more of him. Fitz should be back next year and I don’t see Rosen beating him out. If he can, that’d be great, but I have not seen anything from Rosen to inspire that type of confidence.

Advertisement
Flores asked Fitz if he wants to be his QB next year Fitz said yes.

Fitz is a warrior in every sense of the word .

Fitz will hold the QB position till a young gun arrives

We have two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders in the 2021 draft. If Lawrence is the guy, we have the draft capital to trade up and get him. May have to give up a our 2022 1st rounder too, but after 20 years of Sage Rosenfels and Cleo Lemon, who cares?

I'm a big proponent of building through the draft and we'll have the opportunity to do that this year. If its remotely possible to trade up for Lawrence next year, you have to make it happen.

Wanted the tank and don't like any other wins but will never be mad at beating NE and Brady!
Too bad they couldn't be 2-14 only beating them. Lol

They had a chance at the next great QB in Burrows but of course in typical Dolphin fashion they screwed up their draft position to win some meaningless games. LOL. Now we’re going to watch this kid become a great while we go fishing every year during the playoffs. But hey we’re Dolphin fans and the only thing important is getting a win on Sunday’s even if it hurts our future. I’ve been living this nightmare since Marino left. 😔

Flores asked Fitz if he wants to be his QB next year Fitz said yes.

Fitz is a warrior in every sense of the word .

Fitz will hold the QB position till a young gun arrives

Love Fitz but if we ever want to win a SuperBowl we need to get a Real QB. I know the truth hurts.

Advertisement
Back