Honest question. I haven't looked up the answer

Pete and Nick killed it their first years.

Nick Saban improved at each place.

MSU:

Before Saban: 5-6
After Saban: 6-5-1

LSU:

Before Saban: 3-8
After Saban: 8-4

Alabama:

Before Saban: 6-7
After Saban: 7-6

Pete Carroll at USC

Before Carroll: 5-6
After Carroll: 6-6

All improved.

Sans LSU those are **** near similar similar years of production record-wise.

These fans I swear.

Advertisement
Pete and Nick killed it their first years.

Nick Saban improved at each place.

MSU:

Before Saban: 5-6
After Saban: 6-5-1

LSU:

Before Saban: 3-8
After Saban: 8-4

Alabama:

Before Saban: 6-7
After Saban: 7-6

Pete Carroll at USC

Before Carroll: 5-6
After Carroll: 6-6

All improved.

Sans LSU those are **** near similar similar years of production record-wise.

These fans I swear.

Did you read OP?

These fans I swear.

Jimmy Johnson's first year (8-5) was obviously worse than the 1983 championship team....

And of course in the pros, his first year at Dallas was 1-15 which I'm sure is worse than Landry's final year....

Plenty of others I'm sure....both at the college and pro levels....

How many eventual championship level HCs did worse in their first year at a program than the fired guy who they replaced?

I haven't looked up the records, but I think Carroll was close his first year taking over for Hackett.

Pretty clear Rix is going to be worse than Folden/Scott. That's should scare and sicken everyone. I'd like to know if anyone did the same thing and went on to have great success at that same school.

Advertisement
2nd year tells all. First year not much. Look at every UM coach anf many others. In most cases you know in year 2.

Only thing he needs to figure out is how to build depth with quality players. Some people think our team is littered with talent, when in reality Golden did a great job of building a roster full of guys that would ride the bench at any other title-contending program.

The adjustments on plays will come, but that's not fixing our real problem.

One thing seems clear after this weekend... [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION] thinks that Rick has met the Patrick Nix threshold for offensive disastery, hence, Rix has been born.

You dudes need to study this roster closely and look at their season record. Check this out: 1997 Miami (FL) Hurricanes Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

If you don't see the similarities, you're stupid and probably one of the idiots that flew a plane on Butch. Did you really think Richt was going to erase the pussificationext and loser mentality that was here in just one summer? Really? Golden didn't lead the team to an 8 - 5 season last year. Larry Scott did. If Golden stayed we wouldn't have been bowl eligible last year and you would be kissing Richt *** for having us even being competitive in the last 4 losses. Ya'll are seriously f'd in the head or something.

Advertisement
Jimmy Johnson's first year (8-5) was obviously worse than the 1983 championship team....

And of course in the pros, his first year at Dallas was 1-15 which I'm sure is worse than Landry's final year....

How many eventual championship level HCs did worse in their first year at a program than the fired guy who they replaced?

I haven't looked up the records, but I think Carroll was close his first year taking over for Hackett.

Pretty clear Rix is going to be worse than Folden/Scott. That's should scare and sicken everyone. I'd like to know if anyone did the same thing and went on to have great success at that same school.
You guys have trouble with instructions. Stay out of IKEA.

2nd year tells all. First year not much. Look at every UM coach anf many others. In most cases you know in year 2.
In not so sure that 2nd year thing applies when the first year is an abomination. The point of today's exercise is to analyze how many guys, who turned it around to a championship level, did worse in their first year than the fired guy did in his last year. I think it's interesting to see just how much or how little those eventual championship coaches improved over the fired guy in their first year.

Another interesting analysis would focus on how much those guys improved or deteriorated during the course of their first year. Did Carroll start fast and fade? Or did his USC team steadily get better in year 1? Or was it a mixed bag of ups and downs over the course of year 1? Same with Saban at Alabama.

Looks like Rix is heading into uncharted waters of deterioration in year 1.

One thing seems clear after this weekend... [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION] thinks that Rick has met the Patrick Nix threshold for offensive disastery, hence, Rix has been born.

Patricht Rix has arrived unfortunately.

In not so sure that 2nd year thing applies when the first year is an abomination. The point of today's exercise is to analyze how many guys, who turned it around to a championship level, did worse in their first year than the fired guy did in his last year. I think it's interesting to see just how much or how little those eventual championship coaches improved over the fired guy in their first year.

Another interesting analysis would focus on how much those guys improved or deteriorated during the course of their first year. Did Carroll start fast and fade? Or did his USC team steadily get better in year 1? Or was it a mixed bag of ups and downs over the course of year 1? Same with Saban at Alabama.

Sabans first year they faded at the end of the year including the ULM loss everyone points to.

Advertisement
Not sure where this will land, but I do think we should revisit in January. Agree this team should have a comparable record to last year with the defense playing much better.

Sabans first year they faded at the end of the year including the ULM loss everyone points to.

Any specifics on game results?

Not sure where this will land, but I do think we should revisit in January. Agree this team should have a comparable record to last year with the defense playing much better.

You're right. We could win out or come close. Then it wouldn't be such an alarmingly bad scenario.

Advertisement

You guys have trouble with instructions. Stay out of IKEA.

Some phans think Schnellenberger was fired. Geez....

Carroll started 1-4, with an opening win over San Jose State. Finished with 4 straight wins, including the Trojan's first win over UCLA in many seasons. Lost his bowl game, to Utah. Afterwards, 7 seasons no worse than 11-2 with one bowl loss, the epic Vince Young game in the Rose Bowl. 35 consecutive wins.

His final season he went 9-4 after he ran out of QBs. His staffs were constantly raided as well.

Last edited:

Carroll started 1-4, with an opening win over San Jose State. Finished with 4 straight wins, including the Trojan's first win over UCLA in many seasons. Lost his bowl game, to Utah. Afterwards, 7 seasons no worse than 11-2 with one bowl loss, the epic Vince Young game in the Rose Bowl. 35 consecutive wins.

His final season he went 9-4 after he ran out of QBs. His staffs were constantly raided as well.
I thought that's how it went for Pete. Wasn't certain. Thanks.

Shula went 6-6 (bowl loss) 2006 and Saban 6-6 (bowl win) 2007

Not worse. Saban went 7-6. Close record though. I guess it remains to be seen how much worse Rix will do this year than Folden/Scott did in 2015.

Are we counting the 2015 realistic record of 8-5? Because if Folden wasn't fired after Clemson, (where we went 4-1)..I think we lose to UVA, Duke, and Pitt that year....End up finishing 5-7...Only win I could predict after that Clemson beat down was the GT game since they were terrible last year.

Advertisement
Back