Honest question. I haven't looked up the answer

The Franchise

The Best EVER
Premium
How many eventual championship level HCs did worse in their first year at a program than the fired guy who they replaced?

I haven't looked up the records, but I think Carroll was close his first year taking over for Hackett.

Pretty clear Rix is going to be worse than Folden/Scott. That's should scare and sicken everyone. I'd like to know if anyone did the same thing and went on to have great success at that same school.

Advertisement
I think maybe Tressel.

But the problem is Richt wasn't some new guy who needed a year to get **** figured out. He's an extremely experienced coach.

Advertisement
Good question, but Paul Hackett was 5-7 his last year at USC, Carroll improved one game to 6-6.

Jim Tressell was 7-5 his first season at Ohio State. John Cooper was fired after an 8-4 season the previous year.

Advertisement
Good question, but Paul Hackett was 5-7 his last year at USC, Carroll improved one game to 6-6.

Jim Tressell was 7-5 his first season at Ohio State. John Cooper was fired after an 8-4 season the previous year.

There's one. Tressell. There's hope!!

Pete and Nick killed it their first years.

Nick Saban improved at each place.

MSU:

Before Saban: 5-6
After Saban: 6-5-1

LSU:

Before Saban: 3-8
After Saban: 8-4

Alabama:

Before Saban: 6-7
After Saban: 7-6

Pete Carroll at USC

Before Carroll: 5-6
After Carroll: 6-6

All improved.

Advertisement
Pete and Nick killed it their first years.

Carroll was 6-6, Saban 7-6. They started their murder sprees a year later.
Neither was worse than the guy he replaced. I looked it up, and Hackett won 5 games the year before Carroll took over.

Minus my obvious sarcasm, neither made huge improvements in the record department. Obviously the subtle improvements their first year was in other areas not yet known.

Advertisement
These coaches took other jobs, and These coaches haven't won NC, but they were close.

Butch was 8-3 year after Erickson went 10-2.

Petrino went 9-4 year after Strong went 12-1.

Chris Peterson went 8-6 year after Steve Sarkisan went 9-4.

Last edited:
These coaches haven't won NC, but they were close.

Butch was 8-3 year after Erickson went 10-2.

Petrino went 9-4 year after Strong went 12-1.

Chris Peterson went 8-6 year after Steve Sarkisan went 9-4.
Neither Erickson nor Strong were fired. Neither was Sark.

Advertisement
Back