Honest question. I haven't looked up the answer

2nd year tells all. First year not much. Look at every UM coach anf many others. In most cases you know in year 2.
In not so sure that 2nd year thing applies when the first year is an abomination. The point of today's exercise is to analyze how many guys, who turned it around to a championship level, did worse in their first year than the fired guy did in his last year. I think it's interesting to see just how much or how little those eventual championship coaches improved over the fired guy in their first year.

Another interesting analysis would focus on how much those guys improved or deteriorated during the course of their first year. Did Carroll start fast and fade? Or did his USC team steadily get better in year 1? Or was it a mixed bag of ups and downs over the course of year 1? Same with Saban at Alabama.

Looks like Rix is heading into uncharted waters of deterioration in year 1.

Sabans first year they faded at the end of the year including the ULM loss everyone points to.

Just looked up Saban's first year on Wikipedia...Some Interesting Names come up for his opponents

First 8 games (6-2):
W vs Western Carolina
W vs Vandy
W vs #16 Arkansas (HC resigned at end of season)
L vs Georgia and Mark Richt in OT (Sugar Bowl Champs, 11-2 that year)
L vs FSU who went 7-6 (Jimbo's first year as OC lol)
W vs Houston (Art Briles was the HC, they finished 8-5)
W vs Ole Miss (Ed Orgeron was the HC lol)
W vs #20 Tenn (Only quality win, Tenn was 10-4) I will also add...David Cutcliffe was OC with John Chavis as DC

Last 4 games:
L vs LSU (Les Miles was the HC of course... Bo Pelini was the DC, they won the NC this year) Score was 41-34
L vs MSU
L vs Louisianna Monroe...Yea, the Sun Belt team who was 6-6 that year
L vs #25 Auburn (Tommy Tuberville was HC, Will Muschamp was DC) They were 9-4 that season

Bowl Game:
W vs Colorado (Mark Helfrich was OC)

Notes:
-He loss to 2 Louisiana teams lol
-He loss by 3 pts in OT to UGA who were Sugar Bowl champs
-He loss by 7 pts to LSU who were Natty Champs
-5 of their wins were vacated that year, so his "Official" record is 2-6. Much worse than the previous year lol.
-After going 6-2 in the first 8 games, he had 4-5 starters suspended for NCAA violations...which probably contributed to the 4 losses to end the regular season

Advertisement
You dudes need to study this roster closely and look at their season record. Check this out: 1997 Miami (FL) Hurricanes Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

If you don't see the similarities, you're stupid and probably one of the idiots that flew a plane on Butch. Did you really think Richt was going to erase the pussificationext and loser mentality that was here in just one summer? Really? Golden didn't lead the team to an 8 - 5 season last year. Larry Scott did. If Golden stayed we wouldn't have been bowl eligible last year and you would be kissing Richt *** for having us even being competitive in the last 4 losses. Ya'll are seriously f'd in the head or something.

I love Richt and all...but I'm thanking Manny Diaz for having us be competitive in the last 4 losses, not Richt.

How many eventual championship level HCs did worse in their first year at a program than the fired guy who they replaced?

I haven't looked up the records, but I think Carroll was close his first year taking over for Hackett.

Pretty clear Rix is going to be worse than Folden/Scott. That's should scare and sicken everyone. I'd like to know if anyone did the same thing and went on to have great success at that same school.
Who is Rix?

How many eventual championship level HCs did worse in their first year at a program than the fired guy who they replaced?

I haven't looked up the records, but I think Carroll was close his first year taking over for Hackett.

Pretty clear Rix is going to be worse than Folden/Scott. That's should scare and sicken everyone. I'd like to know if anyone did the same thing and went on to have great success at that same school.
Who is Rix?

Just more disrespect for CMR.

Equating the current Miami offense with what Patrick Nix ran when Miami "stole" him from Georgia Tech to be the OC when Shannon was HC. Nix is, almost universally, regarded as the worst Miami OC since the The U became The U.

Advertisement
Shula went 6-6 (bowl loss) 2006 and Saban 6-6 (bowl win) 2007

Not worse. Saban went 7-6. Close record though. I guess it remains to be seen how much worse Rix will do this year than Folden/Scott did in 2015.

Are we counting the 2015 realistic record of 8-5? Because if Folden wasn't fired after Clemson, (where we went 4-1)..I think we lose to UVA, Duke, and Pitt that year....End up finishing 5-7...Only win I could predict after that Clemson beat down was the GT game since they were terrible last year.

I'm counting the actual record. I don't get into the voodoo speculation stuff. We were basically coachless with incompetent hacks scrambling around looking for other jobs. Our record was 8-5 in the midst of a toxic circus. You wanna play coulda shoulda we're 9-4 without the Yearby pass in the snow.

2nd year tells all. First year not much. Look at every UM coach anf many others. In most cases you know in year 2.
In not so sure that 2nd year thing applies when the first year is an abomination. The point of today's exercise is to analyze how many guys, who turned it around to a championship level, did worse in their first year than the fired guy did in his last year. I think it's interesting to see just how much or how little those eventual championship coaches improved over the fired guy in their first year.

Another interesting analysis would focus on how much those guys improved or deteriorated during the course of their first year. Did Carroll start fast and fade? Or did his USC team steadily get better in year 1? Or was it a mixed bag of ups and downs over the course of year 1? Same with Saban at Alabama.

Looks like Rix is heading into uncharted waters of deterioration in year 1.

Sabans first year they faded at the end of the year including the ULM loss everyone points to.

Just looked up Saban's first year on Wikipedia...Some Interesting Names come up for his opponents

First 8 games (6-2):
W vs Western Carolina
W vs Vandy
W vs #16 Arkansas (HC resigned at end of season)
L vs Georgia and Mark Richt in OT (Sugar Bowl Champs, 11-2 that year)
L vs FSU who went 7-6 (Jimbo's first year as OC lol)
W vs Houston (Art Briles was the HC, they finished 8-5)
W vs Ole Miss (Ed Orgeron was the HC lol)
W vs #20 Tenn (Only quality win, Tenn was 10-4) I will also add...David Cutcliffe was OC with John Chavis as DC

Last 4 games:
L vs LSU (Les Miles was the HC of course... Bo Pelini was the DC, they won the NC this year) Score was 41-34
L vs MSU
L vs Louisianna Monroe...Yea, the Sun Belt team who was 6-6 that year
L vs #25 Auburn (Tommy Tuberville was HC, Will Muschamp was DC) They were 9-4 that season

Bowl Game:
W vs Colorado (Mark Helfrich was OC)

Notes:
-He loss to 2 Louisiana teams lol
-He loss by 3 pts in OT to UGA who were Sugar Bowl champs
-He loss by 7 pts to LSU who were Natty Champs
-5 of their wins were vacated that year, so his "Official" record is 2-6. Much worse than the previous year lol.
-After going 6-2 in the first 8 games, he had 4-5 starters suspended for NCAA violations...which probably contributed to the 4 losses to end the regular season

I did this the other day and in fairness you have to look at Shula's last year (6-6), off the top of my head the best wins were maybe Vandy and Miss state. I got the feeling that they took a decent step forward in Sabans first year despite the fact the records were only a bowl win different.

Advertisement
Actually was Ole Miss not State...

Still they showed improvement against common opponents, something Im not sure we can say at this stage.

Who is Rix?

The same ineffective, dawgshît playcaller from that other thread when you asked "who is Rick?"

Who is Rix?

The same ineffective, dawgshît playcaller from that other thread when you asked "who is Rick?"

LOL

Advertisement
Guys I may have it. We're saved.

Chuck Fairbanks was fired from Colorado in '81 with a 3-8 record.

Bill McCartney went 2-8-1 the next season before going on to split the championship in 1990.

Bill McCartney went 2-8-1 the next season before going on to split the championship in 1990.

Good work man. That said, we've struggled to find a decent number of examples of coaches who have done it so the best way to look at it is that the odds are definitely against us. We can only hope to get lucky.

Who is Rix?

Hahahaha!

Advertisement

Good work man. That said, we've struggled to find a decent number of examples of coaches who have done it so the best way to look at it is that the odds are definitely against us. We can only hope to get lucky.

So far we have two coaches qualifying. Fairbanks and Jim Tressell.

We're trending up....

Even better...

Don Clark went 8-2 in 1959 as USC's head coach but 'resigned' after season-ending losses to UCLA and Notre Dame. John McKay was promoted from the staff and went 4-6 in 1960. McKay won NCs in 1962, 1967, 1972, and 1974.

History is on our side!

McKay even had his own cloud...

In his first two seasons as head coach, McKay's teams enjoyed little success, going 4–6 in 1960, and 4–5–1 in 1961. The Trojans had been on probation and had difficulty recruiting; McKay stated that these two teams were the slowest he had ever been around. Heading into the 1962 season, McKay felt he might be fired by university president Norman Topping; alumni were pressuring Topping to fire McKay, but Topping resisted and gave McKay one more year so he could field a team with players he had recruited.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back