Hire Brian Flores as DC

Advertisement
This is absolutely on the money...As a parent of an ice hockey player...it is by far the most expensive...the money you spend on tournaments and travel alone is insane. In addition, if you want your child to reach his potential, private lessons are a must in a difficult sport such as ice hockey. Do you think a pair of Bauer skates are $50? And a child is constantly growing...oh...and skates need to be sharpened....its endless.
I could only imagine. I figured the skates would be much more expensive than a pair of shaqs lmao. I would imagine, at least as kid, more often you at least need a parent who is home sometimes, or a nanny, etc. Because most people don't live within walking distance to the rink and I would imagine, just like any sport, to reach your potential, you want to be on the ice every single day.

Yea but in the northern cities where winters are long and icy there isn't much interest regardless. I mean who didn't love the Jamaican bobsled team... dudes had major tropical balls.
LMAO!! Great movie too! As HOP said, even then its still a very expensive sport. And even up north in places like NYC. We really don't have that many months of the year where the ponds are frozen over solid enough to be able to ice skate on. So even if we had free gear and stuff to play with. We could probably only practice, I would guess 60-90 days tops. Some warmer years, we would have even less days then that. So compare 60-90 days of possible practice to 365 days and your chances of going to the NHL are pretty much 0.

LMAO!! Great movie too! As HOP said, even then its still a very expensive sport. And even up north in places like NYC. We really don't have that many months of the year where the ponds are frozen over solid enough to be able to ice skate on. So even if we had free gear and stuff to play with. We could probably only practice, I would guess 60-90 days tops. Some warmer years, we would have even less days then that. So compare 60-90 days of possible practice to 365 days and your chances of going to the NHL are pretty much 0.
Ok but those issues are encountered by all kids up there... I just can't buy that if a black parent was approached by their son about playing hockey that they wouldn't support them... I'm more inclined to see it as a niche sport with peer approval.

Interesting point regarding ice time. It matters. Malcolm Gladwell talked about it in Tipping Point where kids born earlier in the year would cumulatively accrue more ice time than those born later in the year, giving the early years kids an advantage in development over time. Imagine being further hamstrung by lack of quality practice time during the year.

Advertisement
Ok but those issues are encountered by all kids up there... I just can't buy that if a black parent was approached by their son about playing hockey that they wouldn't support them... I'm more inclined to see it as a niche sport with peer approval.
Well the point I was making is that poorer people up north would be less likely to play hockey. Whether its white, black, latino, etc. It just so happens that there aren't as many wealthy black guys up here as there are other races. You will see black kids up here playing street hockey and stuff like that all the time. If you gave them ice skates and stuff they would probably go play on the ice.

Interesting point regarding ice time. It matters. Malcolm Gladwell talked about it in Tipping Point where kids born earlier in the year would cumulatively accrue more ice time than those born later in the year, giving the early years kids an advantage in development over time. Imagine being further hamstrung by lack of quality practice time during the year.
I could only imagine. Its like that with any sport, but I can see it being even more important with a sport like Hockey. Since skating isn't something most people do everyday. But even with say basketball. If you have a kid that plays 12 months of the year, you will need an absolute genetic freak to be able to compete with him while only playing 3 months of the year.

I could only imagine. Its like that with any sport, but I can see it being even more important with a sport like Hockey. Since skating isn't something most people do everyday. But even with say basketball. If you have a kid that plays 12 months of the year, you will need an absolute genetic freak to be able to compete with him while only playing 3 months of the year.
Repetition matters, my man. It's why the best baseball infielders take hundreds of ground balls in practice or why Tiger would hit 1,000 balls at the range.

Advertisement
Well the point I was making is that poorer people up north would be less likely to play hockey. Whether its white, black, latino, etc. It just so happens that there aren't as many wealthy black guys up here as there are other races. You will see black kids up here playing street hockey and stuff like that all the time. If you gave them ice skates and stuff they would probably go play on the ice.
I think it's still some of what I mentioned, though money does come into play too. Ok... case closed.
1643948055883.png

I will give an example...Seth Jones is a top American defenseman that was a top 5 draft pick...he is an all star player....his brother is Caleb Jones...a 4th rd pick and represented USA as amateur...is also an NHL player...their father is former NBA player and longtime Indiana Pacers assistant coach Popeye Jones...who stated if he wasn't a former professional player, there was no way he could afford his sons to play hockey.

Advertisement
I will give an example...Seth Jones is a top American defenseman that was a top 5 draft pick...he is an all star player....his brother is Caleb Jones...a 4th rd pick and represented USA as amateur...is also an NHL player...their father is former NBA player and longtime Indiana Pacers assistant coach Popeye Jones...who stated if he wasn't a former professional player, there was no way he could afford his sons to play hockey.
Ok I here you... but does that mean that all white kids playing hockey aren’t from blue collar families?
i actually don’t know about $$$ and hockey since I’ve been living in Miami for over 60 years. However, I know how much it costs to have a boat to go fishing.

Ok I here you... but does that mean that all white kids playing hockey aren’t from blue collar families?
i actually don’t know about $$$ and hockey since I’ve been living in Miami for over 60 years. However, I know how much it costs to have a boat to go fishing.
I also don't know much about hockey myself, HOP is the expert on that topic, so we can just wait for his reply. But in general blue collar people have a **** of a lot more money than inner city people. A lot of blue collar guys are pulling in well over 6 figures with over time. I doubt you are seeing very many trailer park living guys sending their kids to the NHL. Now I am going to go far out on a limb here because this is an absolute pure guess, but maybe there are poor kids in like northern canada or northern Russia that practice on frozen lakes 365 days of the year or something and end up in the NHL.

Last edited:
I also know much about hockey myself, HOP is the expert on that topic, so we can just wait for his reply. But in general blue collar people have a **** of a lot more money than inner city people. A lot of blue collar guys are pulling in well over 6 figures with over time. I doubt you are seeing very many trailer park living guys sending their kids to the NHL. Now I am going to go far out on a limb here because this is an absolute pure guess, but maybe there are poor kids in like northern canada or northern Russia that practice on frozen lakes 365 days of the year or something and end up in the NHL.
Yea dude... up in your neck of the woods janitors can make 6 figures.
just for clarity, my dad struggled his whole life so I know what it means to live on a budget and eat Chef boyardee sometimes for dinner.

Advertisement
Yea dude... up in your neck of the woods janitors can make 6 figures.
just for clarity, my dad struggled his whole life so I know what it means to live on a budget and eat Chef boyardee sometimes for dinner.
Oh ya bro for sure. I know you aren't a silver spoon guy or anything. I just wanted to clarify what I meant when I was talking about poor kids. Like if your a blue collar guy and your son clearly has a talent for hockey. I can see you taking some extra shifts around hockey season to pay for a new set of skates. And just generally living below your means to be able to support your sons hockey career, with the hope that it pays off in the end.

Where as if you work at wendys. No matter how below your means you try to live, you aren't going to be able to pay for all the stuff he needs to go to the NHL.

I also don't know much about hockey myself, HOP is the expert on that topic, so we can just wait for his reply. But in general blue collar people have a **** of a lot more money than inner city people. A lot of blue collar guys are pulling in well over 6 figures with over time. I doubt you are seeing very many trailer park living guys sending their kids to the NHL. Now I am going to go far out on a limb here because this is an absolute pure guess, but maybe there are poor kids in like northern canada or northern Russia that practice on frozen lakes 365 days of the year or something and end up in the NHL.
Yes if you are in Canada or North Europe..there is full access to ice time for literally a year....just like if you have a batting cage or a tennis court in your backyard...the chances or being able to get a college scholarship or be draft eligible are exponentially heightened...
Now just like what was stated...there are poor white kids who can succeed but there is sometimes assistance from some leagues, churches, community organizations that see potential in some of them and can lessen the financial burden...

Now you are seeing more African American players as well as Latino players...there is increased representation in the USA under 20 and under 18 national teams....

Yes if you are in Canada or North Europe..there is full access to ice time for literally a year....just like if you have a batting cage or a tennis court in your backyard...the chances or being able to get a college scholarship or be draft eligible are exponentially heightened...
Now just like what was stated...there are poor white kids who can succeed but there is sometimes assistance from some leagues, churches, community organizations that see potential in some of them and can lessen the financial burden...

Now you are seeing more African American players as well as Latino players...there is increased representation in the USA under 20 and under 18 national teams....
100% or how kids who grow up near a basketball court(city kids) are more likely to go pro, than some guy playing on a 9.9 foot rim down the block.

That was going to be my next guess. I know some countries will basically train you for free if your good enough. Like with Amir Khan getting all the free training and gear as a young kid. Or how the really good 7 on 7 kids have guys paying for their stuff. So I figured maybe there was something like that with hockey.

In regards to your last sentence, I would assume we will now start to see an uptick of black and Latino NHL players in the years to come as well.

Don’t use tennis in your equation. I played tennis my whole life though mostly recreational. Plenty of courts around town without needing club membership. Maybe in the northeast it’s different. Tennis equipment won’t break the bank.

Advertisement
Back