Heurtelou signs with Miami

808.gif

809.gif

Advertisement
3 years later....Golden has finally recruited some guys to play DT. Better late than never I guess.

He's absolutely right.

No, he's not. Plenty of DT's have been recruited. Some flamed out, some trolled, some didn't come, some are still developing, but they've always been recruited.

We missed on every DT last year when we had a huge need and demand. That is fact and he is only pointing out the truth that hurts. Outside of this year we haven't gotten any DTs that have had major offers elsewhere and their production has been exposed why. Moten, Valentine, Wyche and Hertoleau aren't in the same class as Corey King, Earl Moore and Darius Smiths coming out of high school or transferring in.

You do realize that ever since Golden set foot onto campus there was this significant recruiting hurdle.

I'm surprised he could convince anybody to come to Miami, when every coach in America was saying, "don't go to Miami. Their program will be shut down after the NCAA gets through with them."

Then the recruit and his family ask Al about Miami's future and his only answer for almost 3 years was, "I don't know.?

How Golden and crew were able to get any players, much less guys like Duke, Tracy, Artie, Chick, Gunter, Bush, AQM, Tyriq etc.,astounds me.

Now with the shackles off we have a consensus top 5 class with studs pretty much from top to bottom.

Agreed to an extent. However we didnt have the same issues recruiting other positions like we did with DT. The NCAA mess is not the reason why we failed there. SEC duffle bags, Jethro Franklin/Mark D'Onfrio and negative recruiting were the major factors. Al did a very good job bringing in top talent with NCAA mess and questions about his job. Now he is playing with an equal hand and we can feel some of the difference.

Huertelou put up a 450 bench & 575 squat
Wyche put up a 500 bencher and 700 squat.

"Calvin Heurtelou is one of the more physically imposing players across the country. The 6-3, 305-pound defensive tackle encompasses a 445 pound bench press, 575 pound squat and 300 pound hang clean."

THE LINEMEN
(OL, DL)

Bench, pounds
Record book:
DE: Kevin Fa*gen, '85 (560)
573.jpg

Squat, pounds
Record book:
DE: Denny Fortney, '97 (555)
577.jpg

i thought allen bailey benched at about 480 also?

He benched 405...

He was very much a freak though as he owns the UM DE record for both VJ (38.5) and power clean (375). He also ran a 4.71 at 285 lbs during the NFL combine:

Allen Bailey:
6'3" 285lbs
40 Yard Dash: 4.71 seconds
20 Yard Dash: 2.70 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.67 seconds
Bench Press: 27 reps (225 lb)
Vertical Leap: 36.5 inches
Broad Jump: 117 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.56 seconds
Three Cone: 7.43 seconds

1.jpg

Allen Bailey is by far one of Miami’s most physical specimens, as he runs a 4.65 in the 40-yard dash, has a 39-inch vertical (tied for 3rd on the team), benches over 400 pounds, squats in the mid 500′s and power cleans in the upper 300′s. Longtime UM strength coach Andreu Swasey gives Bailey perhaps the ultimate praise: “He is the freakiest of all the freaks since I’ve been here.”

It is no surprise that Bailey took home UM’s Strength Training Athlete of the Year award for 2009.

Results at the U:
Bench: 405
Squat: 565
Power Clean: 375
40-yd: 4.65
VJ: 39
20-yd Shuttle: 4.5

Last edited:
We need every body we can get but I am very worried about our DL.

Hopefully these guys can help but they are far from can't miss guys. I assume Golden will be working the waiver wire again this off-season

There is no such thing when it comes to recruiting and evaluating a 17 or 18 year old kid, that can be labeled as a player who is a "can't miss' guy when it comes to the defensive tackle position. Arguably the most difficult position to predict

Advertisement
do we see tweets from BC for signees? i thought just commitments. he signed so there doesn't need to be a tweet, there should be a press release.
and if u watch his highlight tape, he drives olinemen into the qb.

Advertisement
if we can keep Valentine, Moten, Jenkins.. add Wyche, Hertelou and potentially Cerenord. Wow. Talking about fixing a position.

Then you add the ends in Harris, Thomas, Jackson and keep Smith... Wowsers.

That is 10 on the D line. No Jags, except maybe Cerenord.

Cerenord won't be a jag but he's not a guy whose numbers fly off the charts. He clogs holes and allows LB's to fill them, that doesn't appear on the stat sheet. I think Jenkins may end up being a jag that kid is SLOW off the ball.

Advertisement
Good pickup. I remember getting butthurt when this kid eliminated Miami earlier this year.

Advertisement
Does this mean we are not gonna pursue Cerenord anymore?

I hope we do continue to get that dude...we are in shape to pass on a DT

If everyone signs and qualifies we actually have good numbers finally at DT with Wyche,Heurtelou,Pierre,Moore,Hamilton,King,Valentine,Moten,Jenkins and Kamalu a utough from been around 295- 300 lbs himself.That's 9 or 10 DTs which is more than enouh.What we need is 2 or 3 of them to become dominant or at worse above average.

Advertisement
Back