Heupel to Tennessee

I read they brought him in to try and stem the tide of transfers etc. He was basically a guy to keep the peace until they got a permanent head coach. Maybe Pruitt and some of the boosters had other ideas when they brought him in but I don't think the UT administration ever intended for him to the the HC. and when White was hired, the handwriting was on the wall.

Will be interesting to see if White and Heupel keep him around...
They got Steele for pennies on the dollar. After dropping $6M for Huepel/White, I'd keep Steele around for sure. They could do a lot worse at DC...White/Huepel made Radio the highest paid Coordinator in G5 so I wouldn't trust them to make that decision lol (and I'm a White fan, indifferent on Huepel).

Advertisement
I read they brought him in to try and stem the tide of transfers etc. He was basically a guy to keep the peace until they got a permanent head coach. Maybe Pruitt and some of the boosters had other ideas when they brought him in but I don't think the UT administration ever intended for him to the the HC. and when White was hired, the handwriting was on the wall.

Will be interesting to see if White and Heupel keep him around...

I think Fulmer thought he may have been able to stay on as AD (bc he went out and made the hire) during the investigation. once FUlmer was gone, Steele's shot was done.

Do you think Lashlee could be a candidate at UCF if Heupel is going to Tennessee? I know he probably got a raise from UM but if he wants to be an head coach, UCF is pretty good place to start (Heupel current salary is more than 2 million).

I'm afraid that Manny will promote Likens to OC in this case and it would be bad.
I was thinking this same thing...I hope he stays.

Side note: I just saw an announcement (must've been fake news) that a deal with Clemson OC Elliot was being finalized. Then Steele....I tell you what.....Steele can't like this unless he knew beforehand....this might become interesting for us if Steele got blindsided by the UCF combo of AD/HC because if the Steele rumors are true he might come to UM now if Baker does leave for LSU LB coach job.

Hahaha. Only dude ever to be cutoff from food at the Epcot Wine & Food Festival.

"Coach. No. We'll sell you all the booze you want but put that poutine down! Coach. No. I don't care what they let you do at Halloween Horror Nights...".

View attachment 141947

Gravy and french fries sounds perfect for this guy. That other picture of him - he’s got a bigger rack than my wife

Advertisement
Dude went the wrong way on the W/L column. He's going to get scorched at tennessee. No way he lasts more than 2 years.

Advertisement
From a friend of mine who is a Tennessee fan:

“My one concern is who the DC will be. The defense is the problem at UCF. Randy Shannon is the DC. If he comes to UT as DC, I'm not happy. If we keep Kevin Steele as DC, I think this is as good as it gets... “

Screenshot_20210127-190331_Samsung Internet.jpg

From a friend of mine who is a Tennessee fan:

“My one concern is who the DC will be. The defense is the problem at UCF. Randy Shannon is the DC. If he comes to UT as DC, I'm not happy. If we keep Kevin Steele as DC, I think this is as good as it gets... “
Doubtful that Steele wants to stay and also doubtful Heupel wants to keep the guy who came to Tennessee to position himself to get the HC job.

Advertisement
I'm going to be so mad if UCF makes a good hire by getting Leipold from Buffalo or Chadwell from CCU. The UCF SB Nation site has Lashlee as their 6th preferred option, but I highly doubt it tbh. It'd probably make more sense to get Malzahn at that point if I were them.

Advertisement
Would be interesting if Miami didn't fire Baker because they wanted to give him a chance to go elsewhere to be a LB coach rather than firing him and paying the 700k remaining on his salary; Baker goes to LSU; and then Steele comes to Miami as DC (since the school was smart enough not to flush 700k down the toilet by listening to dummies who demanded that Baker get fired immediately after the season). I'm sure Heupel is aware that the chances that Steele will try to engineer a coup is about 110%- I'd be surprised if he wanted him around.

Word right now is no one from Pruitt's staff will be retained. Steele technically came in after but it isn't expected that he will stay.

Tennessee running backs coach jay Graham is expected to go to Alabama as special teams coordinator and tight ends coach.

Tee Martin will be looking for work.

Gotta be a bridge guy while they weather the NCAA storm, right? White is familiar with him and thinks he can clean up the program. That’s the only explanation that even comes close to making sense.

Advertisement
Back