Here's what I know

I like Lane. If we got him, I'd be excited. There is just some selective criticism going on.
I think both are fine just what you want.

I think lane gets us to a higher ceiling bc he can get any offense to a very good to elite one esp with the current roster and that will translate to Miami. I think lane also doesn't stick around very long. I also think wed have a lower floor w Lane.

w Mario, he'd build a team that will be consistent tho with a lower ceiling due to his reliance on coordinators (we aren't Bama where we can get the best available fired HC to be the OC).

both are massive upgrades though. Mario would stick around longer if not forever. Mario also may come with the Columbus trio building a wall to protect him if it doesn't work out.

either way, neither are guarantees and both have proven to be good coaches.

personally, I like Lanes O with TVD and skill talent and want to see what he could do with him. my only reservation with Mario is the offense. will he force his style here when it doesn't work.

Advertisement
I’d love Jeff Lebby, he’s another great Air Raid Leach/Briles disciple.

But I think he’s locked in with Kiffin, I don’t see him leaving Lane to come coach for Mario.
Lebby needs to forge his own path offensively
He started under Art Brilles at Baylor
Then was under Scott Frost at UCF
Now is under Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss
Lebby needs to run his own offense for a while to remove the puppet stigma, and Miami has a massive built in skilled players talent base which affords his offense the best chance for success.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Advertisement
You have a very odd standard. "I prefer wins" but losing games on the road in conference don't mean anything because they beat Ohio State. Will that win count even more if he drops the game to Oregon State. That would be three conference losses but at least they didn't hurt his top 10 record.
Let's make it even easier for you.

If we count the COVID year, he's 34-11 with two conference championships. That's a 76% winning percentage.

If we don't count the COVID year, he's 30-8 with one conference championship. That's a 79% winning percentage.

Our winning percentage over the past 15 years is 59%, with zero conference championships.

Here’s the issue in that line of thinking...

Oregon is in year 4 of Mario’s recruiting, needing a limited QB like Anthony Brown in year 4 is a head scratcher for an Elite recruiter, so if Brown is a bust it makes you wonder why you would bet the house on a QB who isn’t very good to begin with when you have playoff aspirations...

Especially in a weak conference like the PAC-12.
This is the biggest concern I have with Mario. His QB philosophy reminds me of Kirby’s. He has a freshman he honestly I can’t imagine would be a clear downgrade from Brown but yet Brown remains the starter. I don’t know how good this kid is in practice or anything but Brown isn’t the guy I’d tie my wagon to. It’s a lot like picking Fromm over Fields and Bennett over whoever they have now. Part of me thinks they learned this from Saban. He always played the safe route at QB until he modernized his offense. If Mario does that the sky is the limit for him regardless of the program he’s running.

Advertisement
personally, I like Lanes O with TVD and skill talent and want to see what he could do with him. my only reservation with Mario is the offense. will he force his style here when it doesn't work.
The flip side is that we need some of that style.

We're one of the worst short-yardage programs in the nation despite a parade of NFL backs. We're soft. The key will be to get more forceful up front while also retaining our explosive passing game.

If we count the COVID year, he's 34-11 with two conference championships. That's a 76% winning percentage.

If we don't count the COVID year, he's 30-8 with one conference championship. That's a 79% winning percentage.

Our winning percentage over the past 15 years is 59%, with zero conference championships.
Yeah but we play in the Acc coastal , put Mario here he’s around 60%

Advertisement

Slightly better than Sam Darnolds career completion percentage, Miami’s winning percentage that is

Go ask Bama people why Saban finally just said “ F it “ with Lane , even though there was a championship season still on the line. This dude has a lot of baggage. But there’s a chance he could hit it big for the first time in his life.

Yep.

"But he's grown up since then". And that's how myths are built.

Nice try , the only team in cfb that’s gotten dramatically better is Ohio State. Only because it’s anti Mario. Utah is still the same trash pile they were at 1-2. So what they changed qb’s and have been rolling. Also there’s no credit for the road win at Osu. Different team bro.

The amount of flip flopping on arguments to fit narratives has gotten crazy. I’m even doing it now. I literally used a anti lane argument thirty minutes ago that I argued against weeks ago. It’s time to get away from the board.

Yeah Utah can't be really good because I don't follow CFB well enough to know they're really good. Therefore, F Mario.

#utahwasthefavoriteinthatgame

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back